It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Axe wielding woman shot dead by Tennessee police after eviction notice

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Maybe then every police department in the US should institute sending 30 cops to attend to one perp. God, 30 against 1, I would hope they don't use guns.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: UnBreakable

this is a justifiable homicide. The aggressor left the private property, and then proceeded in a hostile manner towards an officer with a blunt and bladed weapon which can easily cause bodily harm and or death. ReadLeader provided us with a unfortunate case earlier this year in which an officer was shot and killed after deploying a taser first, which failed and resulted in his death.

Better the violent armed suspect suspect be dead or hurt than the officer enforcing the law.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   

When it's your mother, or sister, or wife, there's always another way, there's always a better way, so certainly in this case her family is devastated and," she had an axe, she had it coming" doesn't suffice. I've seen tons of situations that are handled differently where everyone lives. This is a question of when we as a society are tired of seeing overwhelming force used against our brothers and sisters (black and white), just know that lady was likely severely mentally ill and suffering herself, and she's dead, and now her family carries that weight. We cannot become so desensitized where taking a life is everyday justice, but we have. There's almost always another way.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   

She was walking toward him with a purpose.

with an axe.

Open and shut.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

He could have tazed her?

He could have ran and called for back up? She was trying to keep him from where she lived, not chase him down the street.

Simply not following directions should not= being shot.

He still yells "drop it" after she has been shot twice and is on the ground.

You don't HAVE to listen to a police officeer the first, second or even 30th time. That is not grounds for summary execution.

A cop is neither required nor obligated to meet a lethal threat (which an axe is) with less-lethal means (which is what a Taser is). A cop is also not required to give ground when faced a threat.

A cop IS required and obligated to stop the threat to him or herself and to those around him. Being chased down the street is not stopping the threat.

The lady was already off her property before the cop even got out of his vehicle, and continued to advance on him.

Let's not pretend she was standing on her porch with the axe over her shoulder ignoring verbal commands from the end of her driveway.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   

If you are stupid enough to walk in an aggressive manner while wielding an axe towards a person pointing a gun at you, normally you win an award.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1

The problem with tazing someone in a situation like that is if you miss or get a bad hit you only have the one chance and people move pretty fast.

He did the right thing. It's sad, but when you charge a cop with an axe expect to get shot.

Not following directions to stop threatening someone's life with a weapon should = you get shot. Cop was retreating, he gave her ample opportunity to knock it off.

She was walking, walking quickly, and the axe was down, not up. She was carrying it at her side.

Aiming with a tazer might be more successful. Several barbs from a tazer shoot out. With a gun, it is one bullet at a time.

"Two" is not several. In fact the definition of "several" is "more than two." So no.

And both probes from a Taser deployment are required to hit the subject to achieve a shock.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

We might as well get it out of the way.

Why didn't he just shoot her in the foot or leg?

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

There's no question wether this was a legal kill. The question is do we as a society truly believe in shooting people who *may* have been able to be handled another way, a lot of society at this point is saying no and I tend to agree, her life was more valuable than the threat she presented if it were a gun I would say otherwise.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

No. Honestly it seems the best course of action would have been to pull up further away (though I don't know the neighborhood-how close other neighbors were and what was being relayed over the radio) get one or two cops with tazers, one or two with guns, try to taze her and if it missed shoot her.

I also have a suspicion this wasn't the first incident this woman has had and that there are mental health issues.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

I agree.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   

That I don't agree with.

LEO says stop, you stop.

You don't follow LEO commands - - you are at fault.

Are there some bad LEO? Yes - - - but most are not.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

They're not "bad" if they are killing within the law, once again do we accept taking a life when actions could of been taken to preserve all lives.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality

They're not "bad" if they are killing within the law, once again do we accept taking a life when actions could of been taken to preserve all lives.

I'm so tired of people complaining everything's out of control.

Then when a LEO does his job - - - it's too much control.

I want to safely be able to walk down the street. I want that LEO protection. I don't want more rights taken away from LEO.

LEO says STOP - - you don't - - too bad. Dead.
edit on 15-5-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   

The USA is an armed society, we can't react the same way UK police can.

So we really can't take the other actions that European countries do, simply because anyone might have a gun.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

The USA is an armed society, we can't react the same way UK police can.

So we really can't take the other actions that European countries do, simply because anyone might have a gun.

For me, people trying to have it both ways - - is a joke.

Either LEO have authority or they don't.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   

He could have tazed her?

He could have ran and called for back up? She was trying to keep him from where she lived, not chase him down the street.

You don't HAVE to listen to a police officeer the first, second or even 30th time. That is not grounds for summary execution.

I actually agree with you, Reldra. It isn't surprising that someone might melt down when their home is involved and how scary is some woman with an axe? She could be disarmed before she even swung that thing.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Yes, fair enough, we all want safety in our communities, and of course safety for those who enforce the law. What right are we specifically talking about here? The right to defend yourself with overwhelming force and kill somebody when other steps could of been taken to ensure the safety of all parties involved? If this were a gun I would say he did everything right, this was a 5 foot something 140lb soaking wet woman with an axe, I've been attacked by much worse here in America, no one died. It's self defense, and I understand it's legal! I'm not arguing that, I'm trying to show our philosophy should change, taking a life should be a last resort and that should be systematically intregrated into our government surely that's a sign of a morally healthy and functioning society? Mercy should come before death.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   

this was a 5 foot something 140lb soaking wet woman with an axe,

And that matters why?

Authority must be respected, or you will have none.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   

The cop didn't offer her a safe space.

The cop was armed and that is a micro-aggression. She was justified.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join