It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am starting to believe in God

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 12:51 AM
link   
I know know Quantum Quantum.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 12:55 AM
link   
a reply to: boozo

Yoiu double the Quantum you get a Bitmap.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 01:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon
a reply to: clevargenuis

Talk about throwing yourself to the wolves...

A multi faced answer?

Am is supposed to interpret it as:
1 The group here not liking the concept of God (however it is defined) as the wolves?
2 Maybe playing around with the Christian faith not seeing the wolves within it?

Either way Sheep and Goat parable is a nice way to notice wolf like behavior.

By the way:

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 01:14 AM
link   
a reply to: LittleByLittle

Pretty straight forward really....

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 01:52 AM
link   
I also notice a lot of atheists drop the word "science" as a mantra in discussions like as if that magically wins an argument for them. Well science is just a method of study to understand the MATERIAL world around us. things like true dreams cannot be explained using the scientific method. These unexplainble phenomena is best understood by realizing that there are forces at work that we know nothing about.

Science requires evidence. Fine. So what evidence do we have for things like parallel universes and higher dimensions etc? Has anyone been there? These are based on theories, not concrete evidence.
If its irrational to believe in things without evidence then why do scientists talk about higher dimensions and parallel universes?

Personally, I believe Parallel universes appear in religious beliefs as PLACES outside of our material world.

Christians and muslims call it heaven/hell,

hindus have the concept of "lokas" (realms)...2 of which are swarga (heaven) and naraka (hell)

etc

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Hell is a scare tactic my friend...

it does not exist unless you believe in it...

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 02:30 AM
link   

It's clear you were never an atheist with a comment like that. You may not have believed in a god but you do not share the same "beliefs" that atheists hold, science and logic, otherwise you wouldn't say such thing. Mars has water and quantities of methane, a by product of micro organisms. We have measurements to prove the existence on earth, so why is it hard to accept if the same conditions occur on a distant planet, that life could exist.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 03:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Joecanada11

Not true at all. Would you like me to bring up the crimes and massacres commuted by religious people ?

How about all the slaughtering God orders in the bible ?

How about the crusades ?

How about Islamic extremism?

Did you know that the countries with the least amount of religious people have lower crime rates and better levels of community service. ?

The problem here is that you've chosen to give really bad examples of what you are trying to convey about religious people, and in so doing grossly expose your ignorance. If I was to take each point you pointed out, I could counter that within the 20th century alone, more people have been murdered by atheistic regimes then all throughout history combined. Lets be honest that's a hard pill to swallow for atheists, but either way it is the truth and destroys the assertion you made. But lets tackle each one.

1. God's so-called murdering in the Bible. I would like you to tell me where in the Bible you are referring to, so I can explain the given situation in why God is doing what is just, as he never moves a hand against the innocent. So in every case there is warfare or some other circumstance where blood is spilled, it's with due cause. Why would a God that is evil give the 10 commandments if he were cruel?

2. Now I know this is going to be a bit of a revelation for you, but did you know, that people can exploit things? It's true! And one of the best ways to get the masses to follow your will, is to keep the Word of God from the masses that are illiterate and use a corrupt and blasphemous establishment like the Catholic church to endorse something as "God's will". So that is exactly what the Popes and Monarchs did and it had absolutely nothing to do with their faith or religious convictions. As the deeds themselves show that they didn't have any. But because people can exploit something doesn't it can take away from Christianity or the Bible itself. Because Christianity doesn't endorse any of the things which they did.

3. Now I know this will really make a lot of you PC leftist have a fit, possibly even an aneurysm. But there is no such thing as Islamic extremism. I know, everyone is going to tell me about how great the muslim friends that they have are. And if it is true that they are loving and kind people, which I will not disagree nor at all doubt your claim. But the thing is, if you have read the Koran, then you know there is nothing peaceful about this religion. Here in America where all cultures and religions are watered down, we have a false notion of what religions teach and with what degree those that follow them are strictly obedient and zealous to do that which their faith teaches them. So here in the west what we call extremism, is actually just observing a faith exactly as one is truly supposed to. In the Koran, there is no good will toward anyone except other Muslims and perhaps those they are trying to convert to Islam. Otherwise it clearly dictates that any Muslim other than the crippled and blind are without excuse for not fighting for the Islamic faith, literally. So next time someone says that he or she is a Muslim but lacks every aspect of the things taught in the Koran, feel free to tell them they not at all Muslim. Just the way Joel Osteen may say he's a Christian, but won't even say Christ is the only path to salvation. It's not words its actions that matter.

Lastly, the whole thing about these so called secular utopias is laughable. I would like to know the countries, the statistics, as well as the evidence that proves a positive correlation with secularism and altruism.

Anyways, I am happy for the OP in his expanding horizons, and I hope this is able to open at least a few peoples eyes to the level of antireligious sophistry.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 04:16 AM
link   
a reply to: hxc408

Just a couple of comments on your post. I have tried both the belief's of Catholicism and Islam and by the way they are very, very close with their teachings. I don't class myself as an atheist and by the way "atheist spelling" is incorrect as in english, it's "I" before "E" except after "C". Anyway, in my opinion the 10 commandment were written by human scribes (the same as the bible and koran were) as the context/contents is directed to dumb uneducated people. That's ok, but where is the "Wisdom" of these tablets as it's all DON'T do this or DON'T
do that, telling and not teaching. It's the same with Islam, all DON'T, or you will end up in hell without your 72 virgins. How to live your life as a good person and contribute to society should have been the true message that ordinary people of that time and today can understand....cheers.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 04:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: GemmyMcGemJew

It's clear you were never an atheist with a comment like that. You may not have believed in a god but you do not share the same "beliefs" that atheists hold, science and logic, otherwise you wouldn't say such thing.

science and logic are not the exclusive property of atheists. Atheism is by definition a lack of belief in a deity. Its not automatically an indicator of being logical.

Mars has water and quantities of methane, a by product of micro organisms. We have measurements to prove the existence on earth, so why is it hard to accept if the same conditions occur on a distant planet, that life could exist.

Look I believe that life exists elsewhere but only as a matter of FAITH. I am yet to see concrete evidence for it though.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 04:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: tommo39
a reply to: hxc408
How to live your life as a good person and contribute to society should have been the true message that ordinary people of that time and today can understand..

but religions do instruct people how to lead good lives.
"love your neighbor"

"care for widows and orphans"

"give charity to the poor"

"stay loyal to your spouse"

and so on.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Science can go beyond the material realm. Quantum Physics is the field where Science explores how the energy is distributed on a probability field resulting in particles. For instance moving as a wave in the double slit experiment.

Do not let the materialists misuse the word Science. They are not following observation anymore (being scientific) and are in fact creating faith driven dogma instead of following what they are measuring.

edit on 2-5-2016 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 05:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: LittleByLittle

Do not let the materialists misuse the word Science. They are not following observation anymore (being scientific) and are in fact creating faith driven dogma instead of following what they are measuring.

yeah their view of life is that its all matter. to them consciousness, emotions, thoughts is nothing but a result of chemical processes in the brain lmao.

what happens after death? Their materialist view says everything shuts down. How do they know what a dying man perceives upon death???

Why was Steve jobs laughing at the time of his death?

Why did Stalin look scared at the time of his death?

Why were Aleister Crowleys last words "I am perplexed"?

Something happens at the time of death and nobody knows what it is!!!

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 05:23 AM
link   

i subscribe to the idea that consciousness continues after physical death.

Maybe our consciousness does not originate in our physical bodies but rather it originates elsewhere . maybe it only occupies our physical bodies for a brief time.

Life is more than just matter. maybe the stuff that causes one to "live" is some form of energy that is out of this world, and is something that cannot be created in labs.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 05:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: clevargenuis
heres my story:
i used to LOVE debating religious people. I thought the God delusion was a masterpiece and I used to watch hours of videos mocking religions on youtube and thinking "haw haw religious people are so dumb".

And then something happened that caused me to question my outlook on life. I had a dream that I met an old friend whom I hadnt seen in years at a certain place...and guess what? Two days later that dream indeed came true.
I did meet him at the exact same location i saw in my dream. There were many other details that matched the dream. its too easy to dismiss this as a mere coincidence so dont give me that explaination. plenty of people have had dreams come true and science explainAtions of it is that its a coincidence. Sorry not buying it lmao

This got me thinking, maybe there is an unseen world that we access in dreams. clearly there is more to the world than just matter. religions speak of an intangible spirit world, and perhaps dreams are one aspect of it.

Be careful with religion though. Never let your guard down even if you already had your choice of religion to be in. The lies doesn't stop with one's choice. Lies are everywhere and it never ends.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 05:36 AM
link   

as a crude example, think of skynet. It wasnt a tangible machine but rather an abstract entity that had its own will and pervaded an army of robots that it created. The T-800s were its "humans", they worked autonomously yet possessed some sort of purpose. The 800's were imperfect, they made mistakes and were capable of learning.
they would have "known" that skynet existed because they were programmed that way.

extending this analogy to humans, Perhaps all human cultures believe God or a Higher power exists because they were "programmed" that way. Maybe thats why all humans KNOW its wrong to steal, kill, rape etc.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 05:52 AM
link   
a reply to: johndeere2020

religions are just ways of looking at the world. atheism is also a way of looking at the world. both groups have there own flaws but religios folks have a worldview that extends beyond the material world.

a belief system (whether religious or atheistic) are merely a set of ideas. by itself it does not have any power to harm anybody in this world. What people do with them does.

People have killed over religions, politics, race, economy, emotions etc. So if I'm supposed to "beware of religion" because of bad things caused by it should the same apply to politics, money, emotions ?

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 05:58 AM
link   
pardon me for rambling roflmao.

aquiring a belief that a Higher power exists is not tantamount to acceptance of any particular religion. I believe christians, muslims, jews, hindus, sikhs, buddhist etc all have a piece of the truth.

bottom line: there is something out there

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 06:14 AM
link   

but religions do instruct people how to lead good lives. "love your neighbor" "care for widows and orphans" "give charity to the poor" "stay loyal to your spouse"
My comments were directed to the "Books" and 10 commandments. Please show me where your comments are in them......thanks

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 06:28 AM
link   
I believe in God and the I believe there is a spirit realm. I believe our dreams will at times have meaning and insight to the future. I believe God still has prophets. Your search for truth is inspiring and uplifting and let no mans word alone change what the spirit confirms in your heart.

I completely believe you, that your dream was more than a coincidence, because the same has happened to me. I had a dream about my wife two years before we even met, and now I am happily married to the most spiritual and loving woman I have ever known.

I pray that your journey to truth is both fulfilling and enlightening.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join