It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am starting to believe in God

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Gyo01

All of the male mutilation on the West and the female mutilation in the East will CEASE.
edit on 2/5/2016 by Gyo01 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: clevargenuis

No nothing to do with a real "atheist" . I don't subscribe to definition nonsense.
More so I believe you have always been religious and just wanted to create a thread with plenty of atheists replying.

Just my observation, I may be wrong, but I've picked members spinning tales in the past

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz
Bingo. Nothing he has said shows any substance in terms of a previous atheist outlook on life. He now believe all religions has a truth to it. You could tell by his previous thread he isn't genuine. But what a strange way to approach it.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Too bad people think war is for oil. Energy cannot be created nor destroyed.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 08:34 AM
link   

How many lies must I state.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: GemmyMcGemJew
a reply to: zazzafrazz
Bingo. Nothing he has said shows any substance in terms of a previous atheist outlook on life.

define the "atheist outlook on life".

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz

No nothing to do with a real "atheist" . I don't subscribe to definition nonsense.
More so I believe you have always been religious and just wanted to create a thread with plenty of atheists replying.

Just my observation, I may be wrong, but I've picked members spinning tales in the past

yeah its just your observation i guess.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: noonebutme

I dont know where you are, but here in arizona its too early in the morning to be contending over religion, brother.

Forgive me if I have dissrespected you, Ive only come to this topic to be edified by the OP.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Why does that person need evidence? You're happy enough to have you immortal soul's everlasting outcome based on "a feeling" or faith -- but scientific evidence is needed for proving one's innocence in a material, very finite world? How is that logical?

That makes no sense. To me it says you KNOW you would rather have the safety and comfort of science and unbiased empirical evidence to ensure your innocence but NOT to disprove your faith in fantasy because you cannot risk the possibility of there NOT being a heaven afterwards or a God to explain all the unexplainable things.

What a wonderful life to live
/sarcasm

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: HAZE3

No disrespect taken or intended from my side -- just engaging in debate. Everyone's free to believe what they want so long as it doesn't impose on others or advocate harm to anyone. It's cool.

I just find the dichotomy between faith and science requirements fascinating between the faithful and the unfaithful.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Not believing in a religious god (whether you choose to admit it the picture in your head stems from relogion). Needing proof, attempting to evaluate most possible outcomes without reverting to basic human instincts. Many more but you know that being an atheist before this dream, right?

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Do you suggest a head in the sand approach then?

I tried that and I can ensure you that is not a way to live. Faith is fun but will shift constantly through suggestion.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: GemmyMcGemJew
Do you suggest a head in the sand approach then?

I tried that and I can ensure you that is not a way to live. Faith is fun but will shift constantly through suggestion.

Huh? What do you mean "head in the sand" approach? At no point did I imply that - in fact, I'm saying to use critical thinking, logical processing and rational thought as opposed to 'faith' as a means of deducing truth from fiction.

The example scenario I gave earlier emphasised exactly that - why do some rely on faith for their "immortal" soul but logic and empirical evidence when it comes to just their finite existence? If faith is good enough to cover your...infinite existence, surely that's enough to convict one of a crime...?

OR.. if that isn't the case, and one wants real evidence to put them in jail (as one should!) then why not the same criteria applied to what the religious argue is even bigger and more important than the trivial physical?

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: dffrntkndfnml
My condolences.I'm sorry for your loss, I can't imagine going through that.

originally posted by: youcanttellthepeople

My point is, as bad as my situation was, you've only got to look at the world around you to realise it is just an illusion, and ultimately we alone are responsible for our actions, and what happens. There is no, in my personal opinion, magical deity in control of anything. The sooner we realise this as a species, the better off we'll be.

Good point.I feel like collectively we may be at a crossroads as a species.I don't think anyone should shirk personal responsibility on the basis of religious belief.

The problem is most people think their only responsibility lay to their personal belief... to whatever group or line or side theyve chosen, and refuse acceptance as a responsibility to all sentient beings in a cognitive dissonance of Im right were right and all of you are wrong mentality which breeds nothing but dischord and disharmony between sentient beings.

Society has said ok well you believe this and accept that as truth fine, but in the bigger picture there are more than just your group and the diversity of all of that combined when embraced IS the most beautiful thing in the entire world... like a parent holding their child in unconditional love... alive or deceased it wouldnt have mattered if they loved or hated broccoli, or identified as straight or gay. Just that they were happy and that their choices wouldnt make life more difficult than need be, because so many people out there do no embrace anyone but themselves, their group, their belief and try everything in the world to attack or demand that they are right... instead of just live and embrace all life in its beauty and diversity without being and at adversity or an adversary to it or others.

Being a parent myself? and in that moment of becoming a parent... was when I first realized what unconditional love was, and here over 16 years later Ive worked on extending that unconditional love towards everyone since I got over having him torn away from me, in her cheating and divorce, but hey at least she was honest and set me free where I wasnt living a lie... fortunately she had a conscience where she couldnt live with a lie like that especially knowing how deeply I care and love.

So, since not having that option to be there... once I got over the depression, I started seeing more and more compassion in others struggling over absolute nonsense even self created or self perpetuated causing tem to suffer, in closer relationships seeing that nonsense as a side effect to bring suffering on myself due to that instability... so having that time and time again seeing perspectives and gaining understanding no more victim, I moved to seeing more and more in unconditional love... when I was a moderator it was like having 50000 children.

Some would come running so and so said this, even though I saw who instigated what etc its was kinda comical that grown men of all ages would act like children in various stages of growth, and be an ahem authority figure over so many varied people all over the world in that position... I started to think about all of their hopes, wants, desires and dreams... I saw some just after money, some just after fame, some just after attention, and on and on but all had that same commonality that same common ground that we all shared as a grounding... custom motorcycles hell just the riding was enough of a tie as a passion for it.

But I noticed as people rose in that money, that, fame and that power... that old axiom of absolute power corrupting absolutely, and as the industry grew it started falling apart because the origional vision digressed away from riding motorcycles customizing them and just having fun. I could see this not only there but started seeing it everywhere I looked... then I recalled Stan Lee's Spiderman where Peters uncle says something to the effect of with great power comes great responsibility... and it clicked.

The titles people hold feel it gives them a sense of empowerment or a chance to feel above someone else for some reason or ration when that is wholly irrational... the crown does not belong to the king or queen sitting on that throne, it belongs to the throne itself... the title is a temporary position if the one sitting in that throne and wearing that crown cannot sit in that position and wish to benefit and represent all people. Because as soon as someone starts representing themself or others instead of all people... corruption ensues, and its time to remove the crown dust off the throne and see if someone else can be responsibile enough to represent all people that that position of power holds and be uncorrupted, the crown blongs to that seat or title remember? No the one appointed to sit in it and have a go at staying pure or turn corrupt... and this is why society keeps falling keeps spinning... the ego of that seat places many a person on a cross to be examined by every single person that they are supposed to represent or be judged by for that duty to the people...

Some can hold it with grace, some can hold it with dignity, but few can hold it with integtrity... I personally dont want it nor would I take it if offered or even demanded... been there in so many ways and senses of it already, and so has each and every individual if they remove the subjectivity of the trope off of each and every moment and see the object beyond such distinctions called a self identifiying with an other supporting ego, its just experience coming and going and it it all shared... that lumping of experience of a self, just a facet in a jewel self constructed precious to ourself and others on its superfical inspection doing the same... failing to see its just one facet of one whole... but only come together as different jewels when natural or ground to dust, and no more precious or special either way... in such one finds humility.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Actually There are valid atheist arguments as far as Adam and eve go. Its been proven that if you keep reproducing from the same bloodline there is a high rate of retardation. So either Adam and eve isn't true or it is and we are all a bunch of retards. Can you tell me at what point in time it went from ok to sleep with your sister and not spawn a retarded kid. Too when it became wrong to sleep with your sister and any kid you made would have defects? And when that did start happening how were people able to distinguish who they weren't related too if everyone was technically related. Its a paradox much like a lot of things with every different religion. Religion can ansewer any question until a paradox arises then the only ansewer is to have faith. I could show you many paradox every religion. Just holes that weren't seen up when the writers of all these reigions were writing them. I have studied many different religions. If you would like to hear some more just let me know. If you could solve my paradox's I will worship your God forever. And don't tell me to read the bible for ansewers cause that's where all the paradoxs are at. Especially if you compare new and old testements that are sposed to be word for word what God has spoken just reworded if that makes any sense which it doesn't.
edit on 2-5-2016 by gflyg because: misspell

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: gflyg

Actually There are valid atheist arguments as far as Adam and eve go....

I said nothing about Adam and Eve.

And once again atheists conflate belief in God with the tales in the bible.

have you ever considered tge possibility that one can believe in God WITHOUT having anything to do with the bible

edit on 2-5-2016 by clevargenuis because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 01:37 PM
link   
All religions believe killing is wrong.

So that must be true

All religions believe stealing is wrong.

No religion differs on that point.

I could go on like this...

And then I come to this point:

All religions believe there is a heaven and a hell, that there is one true religion, all the rest are fake, the believers of the one true religion go to heaven, and all everybody else burns in hell.

So that must be true as well, since all religions can agree on it.

So, uh, which religion actually is the one that keeps you out of hell?

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: olddognewtricks

Not all religions believe in heaven and hell. And because some of them do doesn't make them true either.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   

All religions believe there is a heaven and a hell

Can't tell if playing or serious -
but it is not true that "all religions believe there is a heaven and a hell".
Not true at all.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

All religions believe there is a heaven and a hell

Can't tell if playing or serious -
but it is not true that "all religions believe there is a heaven and a hell".
Not true at all.

ok. most MAJOR religions believe in some kind of hell.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join