It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We all know the name....was he superhuman?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: PanPiper
a reply to: visitedbythem

you dont need to worry about the flute.. It has its time and place

Yes, and so does the sword

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: DOCHOLIDAZE1 Nice OP DOCHOLIDAZE! It is very possible he was super human and like Mianeye said, Bruce Lee mastered his chi. Your thread and Mianeye's post gave me inspiration for a thread.. thanks you two!

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: DOCHOLIDAZE1
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

i read about in an old book in grade school and i dint feel doing the research now, but sounds like a good idea for another thread, if i am to recall he did some time fighting in hong kong and did well and made a name for himself, to make a name for oneself in hongkong for street fighting i would imagine a not too easy feat

if you put up a thread ont he topic, im sure ill enjoy reading it.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 06:00 AM
link   

and he could fight,.

really?
news to me

why do people always say he could fight?
can i see some stats?

he got in a couple fights as a young teen and he did some pushups and threw a 1 incher at an ed parker show.

not what i would call a fight career.

he was an instructor and an actor. not a fighter. not by a long shot

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 06:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: DOCHOLIDAZE1
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

i read about in an old book in grade school and i dint feel doing the research now, but sounds like a good idea for another thread, if i am to recall he did some time fighting in hong kong and did well and made a name for himself, to make a name for oneself in hongkong for street fighting i would imagine a not too easy feat

youre making too much of his rooftop fighting career.

when was all this supposed to happen?

he didnt even start wing chun till he was 16. he was in the states at 18. so he had 2 years with ip man.

he perfected rooftop battles in that 2 years???

why do people constantly make bruce out to be something he was not?

he was a great student of the arts. he was a pioneer of cross training styles. diet. fight philosophy. he was an actor. an instructor.
all great things.

what he absolutely was not was a fighter. he was no the toughest man on the planet. he would not defeat any takers with his speed and agility.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 06:17 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

I'm a bit skeptical of these legendary street fights too. Have been to Japan, Thailand, Cambodia and Hong Kong and the street fights I saw are no different there than they are anywhere else...complete with drunk dudes throwing windmills with their eyes closed and bemused girlfriends trying to pull them away. I certainly never saw these rival Kung Fu schools where they battle it out with cleavers and nunchuks to defend the honour of their master like we've been brainwashed to believe. There was also a disappointing lack of flying.

Even if he did, how do we know he wasn't just walking around beating the crap out of untrained guys? That's not really difficult.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 07:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: MagnaCarta2015

I'm a bit skeptical of these legendary street fights too. Have been to Japan, Thailand, Cambodia and Hong Kong and the street fights I saw are no different there than they are anywhere else...complete with drunk dudes throwing windmills with their eyes closed and bemused girlfriends trying to pull them away. I certainly never saw these rival Kung Fu schools where they battle it out with cleavers and nunchuks to defend the honour of their master like we've been brainwashed to believe. There was also a disappointing lack of flying.

Even if he did, how do we know he wasn't just walking around beating the crap out of untrained guys? That's not really difficult.

cause all those kick ass street fights were not what people thought they were.

he was a typical young punkish type teen that mixed it up a couple times. it did not look like red vs gold sashes in big trouble in little china. he didnt start training wing chun till 16. so he either knew nothing or very little about martial arts when all this was supposed to happen.

i will tell you where these points come from. it comes from the movie dragon: the bruce lee story. no #.
people on this forum and others always make points that were in that movie like it all actually happened. its true.

bruce was not a pro fighter. bruce was not an amateur fighter.
people think cause he was only 140 lbs but could hit a heavy bag with great force that it means he could do the same to an opponent who is not stationary and fighting back.
they see him doing a couple 2 finger push ups and somehow think that will allow him to defeat anyone.
oh wow. a 1 inch punch. super awesome. he could have taken out sakuraba or rickson gracie with ease.

the bruce lee legend is so tiring.

when he was alive if he wanted to prove he was the toughest guy on the planet and wanted to prove that jeet kun do was the best style he would have tried. he never did.
there was(and still is) a huge scene of # like that down in brazil. it was actually at its peak when bruce was in his prime.

why not try to hook up with rolls gracie down at gracie humaita. lets say 1970.
bruce would have been 30. rolls would have been 19. my money would have been on rolls all day.

at the time he was in the states bruce probably would have been known as a bad ass. he died in 73. before that it was all traditional schools in the states. the type of fighting was far different.
it was all chuck norris type #.

in japan. in brazil. in england. hell even in india it was a different story.

i have no doubt that if bruce showed up at some catch wrestling school in england he would have been taken out with the quickness.
you think his one inch punch and heavy bag technique would allow him to take out those pehlwani dudes?
i think not.

what about dan gable?
gable was in iowa the same time bruce was in california.
he was 8 years younger but that is another name off the top of my head that i would lay money on against bruce any day.

to be fair i think it is his fans that make these claims of him being some great fighter. he never did that #.
his fans are the ones that say he would have taken anyone out. he didnt run his mouth like that.

there is also a story of bruce knocking out some stunt man on the set of enter the dragon that makes its rounds every now and then as proof of bruce lee's bad assness.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 07:23 AM
link   
and for those that dont know who dan gable is you should look him up.
freestyle wrestler.
only lost one match his entire college career.
won gold at the 72 olympics without giving up a single point.

i just dont think bruce could have hung with that

billy robinson was only 2 years older than bruce.
bruce couldnt have handled it

edit on 30-4-2016 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 10:01 AM
link   

ive come across a clip where he fights someone with a decent record, was i impressed? No not really, the matter isnt if Bruce Lee was a fighter, he transcended as a human.. Do i see the MMA fighters of today as great fighters? I do.
How many of todays MMA fighters are useful out of the arena, cant count one "yet". Bruce Lee inspired people and he opened doors to scientific questions of martial art mystery..

If you think i have narrow insight in the field of martial arts, lets do the easy bit; Name the greatest Boxer off all time?

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
and for those that dont know who dan gable is you should look him up.
freestyle wrestler.
only lost one match his entire college career.
won gold at the 72 olympics without giving up a single point.

i just dont think bruce could have hung with that

billy robinson was only 2 years older than bruce.
bruce couldnt have handled it

Do i think a stand up fighter could take on a wrestler, no i dont, under MMA rules. Do i think Bruce Lee would win against a wrestler with K1- rules, yes i actually do.. Do i think a wrestler win in a streetfight against Bruce Lee, i do..

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Do i see the MMA fighters of today as great fighters? I do.
How many of todays MMA fighters are useful out of the arena, cant count one "yet". Bruce Lee inspired people and he opened doors to scientific questions of martial art mystery..

If you think i have narrow insight in the field of martial arts, lets do the easy bit; Name the greatest Boxer off all time?

mma guys past and present are not the only fighters i would place far above bruce lee.
plenty of others.

i do agree with that you said about bruce inspiring people and the questions he posed.
the tao of jeet kun do is a fantastic book that i have read many times. has had a solid position among all my books for 20 years.

as far as the boxing question. i will play but i dont see what my opinion on the greatest boxer has to do with anything.
im not a huge fan of boxing. most of the boxing i watched was in the 80's when my dad was still around.

the usual answer people give is ali. maybe dempsey after that.
tyson is usually up on the list and he is pretty high on mine.

personal favorite. roberto duran.

to answer based on fighting style alone and nothing else. mike tyson for me.
he was ferocious and i believe in his prime he could have tuned up anyone(boxing rules) of any weight class.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Do i think a stand up fighter could take on a wrestler, no i dont, under MMA rules. Do i think Bruce Lee would win against a wrestler with K1- rules, yes i actually do.. Do i think a wrestler win in a streetfight against Bruce Lee, i do..

im pretty much with you on all that.
in my post about the best boxers i specified 'boxing rules'.
usually when i personally think of this guy or that versus this guy or that i dont think of what rule system in my head.
i usually like to think how it would go if the 2 were going at it in my yard with no rules save for no weapons.
standing. rolling. punching. kicking. whatever.

i think bruce would have been tooled by many. because he was not a fighter. he did not train the way those dudes from wigan did at the snake pit. he did not fight the way those dudes at humaita did.

he wasnt the same type of martial artist. nothing wrong with that. i just dont like him touted as something he was not.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Why i asked the simple question name the greatest boxer of all time, is because i wanted to see how experienced a fighter you are.. Not much more than that.. The greatest Boxer ever lived was a man born in the 1920:s America, named Sugar Ray Robinson.. No Steroids in that body..

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   

And you have to realize the American wrestlers are juiced all the way from college..

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   

And you have to realize the American wrestlers are juiced all the way from college..

if you say so.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   
bulp bulp

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 12:26 AM
link   
a reply to: peppycat

sorry was absent to keep up with my own thread can you link me to yours
edit on 1-5-2016 by DOCHOLIDAZE1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 12:43 AM
link   

just as everyone speculates he was a great fighter you doing the same just on the other side of the spectrum, no proof, no experience, and no expertise, just speculation that he was not a great fighter. I believe he had knowledge not many possess and was snuffed out before he could teach us. just my opinion

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Bruce Lee has been in way too many movies to be anything but a different type of Kardashian. You can't become superhuman or master your chi when you're filming 12 hours a day.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 02:22 AM
link   
a reply to: DOCHOLIDAZE1

One if the pioneers of mma.
Not superhuman in any regard, but peak human, yes.
He was an amazing fighter, bit likewise, there are tons today that are as talented, though they don't have the skill to create a new unique style. Like he did

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join