It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curt schilling fired over anti transgender post.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn
That's what I did, how I lived life before my child was born, it was great, free, amazing, its how I found myself.

I wouldn't change having my baby for the world, but now I have responsibility and I cannot just go on tour or take a sabbatical with a child, sorta playing it safe right now.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   

That's why you don't work for a corporation.

I mean, i work for some LLC's and whatnot....but hardly a "Corporation" in the classical sense. We employ some corporate elements, just because its good business. But we collectively abhor corporate philosophy, and work to have a real human business.

If you hate corporations, then you work elsewhere. Its what I do. Sure, its a whole lot more chaotic out here in the choppy waters of freedom. But its damned well worth it.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: veracity
That's what I did, how I lived life before my child was born, it was great, free, amazing, its how I found myself.

I wouldn't change having my baby for the world, but now I have responsibility and I cannot just go on tour or take a sabbatical with a child, sorta playing it safe right now.

Choices you had to make.

Life really is about choices.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

there are pros and cons to corporation.

Pros...they are established and have good benefits , you know you will be getting a paycheck

Now, you can get good benefits with Obamacare so that is not necessarily a pro anymore bc I can do my own thing and still have good benefits.

Cons...too many to list.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn

. . . being forced to make the choice between a paycheck, and unfair and illegal treatment.

What do you consider unfair and illegal treatment?

I could make a list a mile long, but I will start with the two that I am most familiar.

When medical staff are given unrealistic and unsafe patient loads, without consideration of levels of acuity, and penalized for not clocking in and out at regulated times, that prevent the corporation from paying overtime; I find that both unfair and illegal.

When medical staff have to work repeated shifts without sufficient staff to allow for safe and adequate patient care, I again find it unfair, and if it isn't illegal it should be.

I could go and on and on, but I don't want to damage the trust that the average person has in our medical system.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 11:05 AM
link   

. . . being forced to make the choice between a paycheck, and unfair and illegal treatment.

What do you consider unfair and illegal treatment?

I could make a list a mile long, but I will start with the two that I am most familiar.

When medical staff are given unrealistic and unsafe patient loads, without consideration of levels of acuity, and penalized for not clocking in and out at regulated times, that prevent the corporation from paying overtime; I find that both unfair and illegal.

When medical staff have to work repeated shifts without sufficient staff to allow for safe and adequate patient care, I again find it unfair, and if it isn't illegal it should be.

I could go and on and on, but I don't want to damage the trust that the average person has in our medical system.

So, no medical union?

Would this be a hospital?

Is this in America?

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

So, no medical union? Would this be a hospital? Is this in America?

Medical Unions in most places in America, are worthless.

Medical Unions have to work within the desires of the hospitals. The hospitals still hold all the cards.

The largest group of hospital workers are mothers. Their primordial motherly instinct to provide and nurture, makes them easy to manipulate, use, abuse, over work, and under pay..

They will put up with a ridiculous amount of unfair treatment, as long as they have a job, and a half-way secure chance of receiving a paycheck twice a month.

Many will not join a union out of fear, and will not take advantage of the union if one is present.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Many will not join a union out of fear, and will not take advantage of the union if one is present.

That is their choice. I don't know if all hospitals have unions.

There is the Patient Safety and Quality Improvement Act.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   

When a patient or family member is sick or dying, the last thing the patient or family is interested in, is a political battle.

Most people just want someone to answer the call bell in less than 60 minutes, and someone to at least make it to the room in under 120 minutes.

Pain relief, bladder, and bowel relief, rank 1st, 2nd, and 3rd on the minds of most folk in hospital. They are also the number one reason for complaints voiced by patient and family.

No matter how great a staff member is, they can only be in one place at a time. All the lip service, brochures, marketing lies, in the world, doesn't fix that problem.

The last thing they want to hear is, "Call your legislator."

Big business is about profit. They no longer care how they reach that goal. They are interested in paying you as little as possible, while getting you to give back to them every dime they give you.

I don't blame big business for taking from us that which we are willing to give. If we are buying what they are selling, then that is on us.
edit on 26-4-2016 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: Punctuation.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
Civil Treatment for Managers is a good training to go through for any manager. Concepts like "duty to act" mean that you are able to be sued and held liable for all manner of things.

Further, as a manager that is on salary, the company you work for has a right to demand certain things from you. Further, if they pay your phone bill, they can demand you answer when they call.

For a salaried manager, there isn't really an "off the clock".

Was Curt Shilling a manager or was he just an on air personality? I understand that salary means you're sometimes working while technically off the clock, that just goes with the territory of not being hourly. Where I disagree is when that relegates a person to always being on the clock and not having any actual freedom publicly to act how they want or say what they want. I see it as a problem when a corporation gets to be that overbearing, it's no different than if the government is that overbearing, except an employer has even more leverage in your life.

Curts personality was well known prior to being hired, if they weren't able to accept something like this eventually happening then they shouldn't have hired him. I had the same feeling with the Duck Dynasty guy some months/year in the past. If you don't like the persons personality, then don't hire them. Sooner or later, regardless of your leverage to fire them, they're going to say something that embarrasses your company, and it's disingenuous to hire someone for who they are but to then punish them for being who they are.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   

When a patient or family member is sick or dying, the last thing the patient or family is interested in, is a political battle.

I know. I've been in the hospital several times.

Have been there when others were in.

Have been there when someone is dying.

Seen the difference between County and a Private Hospital.

-------------------------------------------------------------

But, what is the answer?

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

But, what is the answer?

You know, I ask myself that same question a lot.

I ask myself; when did everything change? How did we get here?

I think part of the answer is that we have done it to ourselves.

We have taught big businesses that we are easy prey. We are gullible, and we will buy anything, as long as we think it makes us better than someone else. We sell our souls to be different, to be the one that everyone envies, then we spend our last dime for those items that makes us like everyone else.

We want everyone to treat us an equal, yet we want to be seen as special, deserving, entitled.

We want what we want, when we want it, even if it means that someone else has to wait.

We are fickle. We have lost our focus, and we have lost our way. We can't see that big businesses are only giving us what we are buying.

If we want big businesses to put our planet, and humanity, before profit, we have to start by doing. Big businesses become big on our dollars, earned through our blood sweat and tears.

Perhaps it is an impossibility. Perhaps we can't put the Genie back in the bottle. Maybe there is no answer. Perhaps there is no hope.

I pray I am wrong.

edit on 26-4-2016 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: word correction

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   

If we want big businesses to put our planet, and humanity, before profit, we have to start by doing. Big businesses become big on our dollars, earned through our blood sweat and tears.

Perhaps it is an impossibility. Perhaps we can't put the Genie back in the bottle. Maybe there is no answer. Perhaps there is no hope.

I pray am wrong.

Nature is a game of "King of the Mountain".

We'd need to do it as a collective and that is not going to happen any time soon.

We'd need some kind of major Spiritual Awakening to put humanity first. I don't think that's gonna happen in my lifetime.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

when you are paid a salary, you are paid to do a job. Plain and simple. That job may be things like covering shifts, completing specific daily/weekly/monthly tasks, representing the company in a positive light....whatever it is that included in that job.

Part of my job is participating in a civic group, so i do Rotary. This means that i have obligations that extend beyond the hours I work. The kicker: i assigned this to myself, but it is now the standard that I am expected to follow by my work peers, and the owner of the company.

Now, imagine if, with my expectation to represent the company positively, if i decided i was going to go on YouTube and start doing racist rants. Would my company be correct in finding this unacceptable? What if i were a Director of Sales...would that not impact my ability to sell for the company? On a director level, no less?

I hear what you are saying, and agree with you to a degree. I just want to put forth the other side of the debate.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 01:56 PM
link   
BFFT, I hear you, and I don't disagree with you. The problem I have is that just because people don't go on YouTube and announce their bigotry, their racism, or their negative behavior, it doesn't mean they are good people, or that they aren't involved in activities that "if not hidden", would be viewed unfavorably.

I see all too frequently people smiling, laughing, and lying to people over the phone, or to their faces, and singing a different tune the moment the person is out of ear shot.

I get it. It is just that on some days I prefer the in your face bigot, to the smile in face, stab you in the back, kind.

Same with businesses. I prefer for them to be up front and honest, so it would be easier for me to decide where to spend my few valuable dollars.

I am just tired of the duplicity, the lies, the deceptions. I know that it has become the norm, but it doesn't make it any more palatable.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 01:57 PM
link   

I can't help but notice your example goes to the extreme... "racist rants"

This isn't about Curt Shilling making racist rants, it's about him disagreeing with a discrete minority viewpoint and position related to a highly controversial issue. I could easily go an equal distance to the other extreme and compare this to someone being fired for making a youtube video ranting about their disdain for vertical blinds.

Vested interest minority groups are not an unbiased or even good source of judgement where accusations of bigotry are concerned. If one feels they've been wronged, obviously their take on the issue will be skewed and biased. The real test is "would the average person find Shilling's commentary to be bigotry?" I don't know the answer to that, but I'm fairly sure it isn't a strong consensus one way or the other at this point.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 01:59 PM
link   

BFFT, I hear you, and I don't disagree with you. The problem I have is that just because people don't go on YouTube and announce their bigotry, their racism, or their negative behavior, it doesn't mean they are good people, or that they aren't involved in activities that "if not hidden", would be viewed unfavorably.

I see all too frequently people smiling, laughing, and lying to people over the phone, or to their faces, and singing a different tune the moment the person is out of ear shot.

I get it. It is just that on some days I prefer the in your face bigot, to the smile in face, stab you in the back, kind.

Same with businesses. I prefer for them to be up front and honest, so it would be easier for me to decide where to spend my few valuable dollars.

I am just tired of the duplicity, the lies, the deceptions. I know that it has become the norm, but it doesn't make it any more palatable.

If you don't like lies and multiple faces....humanity is not for you. I think our ability to lie is one of the things that sets us apart from other animals. Most animals have communication that is more autonomic, and thoughts that are more concrete. The fact that we don't wag our tails involuntarily makes it far, far easier to lie.

As it regards business....i could care less if I have a closet neonazi working for me. The moment I know about it, they're gone. So feel free to think what you want....ill measure you by what you do.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

I can't help but notice your example goes to the extreme... "racist rants"

This isn't about Curt Shilling making racist rants, it's about him disagreeing with a discrete minority viewpoint and position related to a highly controversial issue. I could easily go an equal distance to the other extreme and compare this to someone being fired for making a youtube video ranting about their disdain for vertical blinds.

Vested interest minority groups are not an unbiased or even good source of judgement where accusations of bigotry are concerned. If one feels they've been wronged, obviously their take on the issue will be skewed and biased. The real test is "would the average person find Shilling's commentary to be bigotry?" I don't know the answer to that, but I'm fairly sure it isn't a strong consensus one way or the other at this point.

If a rant against vertical blinds would negatively impact revenue, i'd fire you for it in a heartbeat. Im not in business to make a statement, im in business to make money. Even if i do choose to do so ethically, i am not bound to tolerate an employee whose public behavior is costing my business money.

The real test is: is our business going to suffer financial retribution from continuing to employ this person? If the answer is yes, then you have to decide if its worth the risk.

But honestly, I don't give a rat's south end about this story. I was just commenting on some of the comments.
Me personally? I don't even really know who he is. I DO know that he'll have to do the whole show to get back in the good graces. (wait a year or so, start small and begin working your way back into conversations, then have a press conference where you make this face:

And apologize to "all the people i've wronged, especially my family.....")

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   
You may be right.

It sure would explain why I prefer living in the woods with the critters, and why I find animal company more enjoyable, these days. Not that they too can't be a pain and a nuisance on a regular basis.

I am not ready to wash my hands completely of humanity. I still serve my community, and hope that it makes a difference to at least one person.

I like Annee, will not very likely see a change in humanity in my lifetime.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   

You and I want the same thing.

And its why i live in the sticks, and spend my spare time at home/in my back yard rather than out doing other things like going to movies. I actually have an aversion to large crowds (not pathological....just a personal choice)

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join