It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama smacks down Trump’s border wall plan

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

Mexico itself produces nothing that we need...we can always eat California avocados after all...

No thanks. Mexican avocados are second to none.

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

Mexico itself produces nothing that we need...we can always eat California avocados after all...

You're talking about 20% of our food supply, just from Mexico. That does not include imports from other South American countries. If it weren't for those countries, our food supply would have been very expensive over the last couple of years due to weather and crop conditions in California.

Also, a very large portion of the auto parts industry is based in Mexico. We lack the manufacturing base to pick up that slack if we do away with Mexico.

We are a lot more connected than many think.

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Why should anyone in the US support another country's economy, when ours is in the pits?

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I generally don’t like Trump but there’s no doubt in my mind illegal immigration hurts the American economy. I’ve seen it first hand.

Many American small contractors are doing terrible, for one.

Also in any community they live in that community starts to shrink economically because they send money out of the community to Mexico and deprive that community of commerce. Other than their meals.

A small city I lived in was littered with them. In the morning you see them, hundreds on the corner getting picked up by small contractors to do day labor.

This particular community over the years lost the bakery, 4 corner gas stations, two hospitals, all manors of businesses, and is very economically depressed.

WHY

The illegal immigrants don’t contribute anything to the community. There are around there at least 4 places where they go to send the money they make back to Mexico or wherever

I’ve seen it with my own eyes.

Illegal immigration does hurt the US economy.

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting
Senor Trump is loco.

In the first place, this is highly unethical. People work for this money and don't send it back home for funsies. There is a reason they send it back, more than likely because they have loved ones who depend on it. Mothers, fathers, children, sick and elderly. Money that buys food, shelter, clothes and medications. In some cases, Trump might very well be cutting off a life-line to thousands of people.

I think most of the money is a laundering scheme.

We actually have no proof it's all "hard earned" by "workers".

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Why should anyone in the US support another country's economy, when ours is in the pits?

Because they have fertile land and if their economy is doing well, that means less immigration across the border. That equals savings in many areas, including welfare and other services.

It makes no sense to piss our neighbors off and get in to a tax/trade war with them.

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Then why should they support ours? But they do. They pay taxes everytime they buy groceries or a gallon of gas. At least in my state.

I agree with you to a degree, and I've grown leery of paying countries in certain regions to be our 'friends'.

But not Mexico because we are too intertwined with them. In many ways, we are the same.

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
The proposal could 'cause enormous damage to the Mexican economy' - erm, yes, that's the whole point. Is Obama really that stupid and weak?

In a word.... Yes!!

Obama is the worst negotiator of all time, has no concept of leverage in deal making and has no spine.... Cough " Iran nuke deal" cough...

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 06:13 PM
link   

We actually have no proof it's all "hard earned" by "workers".

And we have no proof that it isn't. I just know what I see, and I see Mexicans and Guatemalans working like dogs all around my city.

Maybe with El Chapo out of the picture (at least temporarily) we'll begin to see a decrease in criminality. I am actually optimistic that we will see some decline in gang activity in Chicago as well.

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 06:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: muse7

The proposal could 'cause enormous damage to the Mexican economy' - erm, yes, that's the whole point. Is Obama really that stupid and weak?

If the whole point of the wall is to cause damage to the Mexican economy wouldn't that encourage more illegal immigration into the US?

The point of freezing the cash flow south is to damage their economy of they don't comply.

The wall is meant to protect American workers from having to complete against an unlimited supply of cheap labor, which has by the simple to understand rules of supply and demand, kept wages low.

Duh

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 06:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sargeras

In a word.... Yes!!

Obama is the worst negotiator of all time, has no concept of leverage in deal making and has no spine.... Cough " Iran nuke deal" cough...

Destroy the Mexican economy and there will be more and more people flooding in to this country.

Do you know what that would mean?

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: F4guy

No, he just thinks it's wrong to steal the money from American citizens of Mexican ancestry to keep them from feeding family members in Mexico. But, of course, to some people like you, anything you do to a "beaner", citizen or not, is OK

Or the " beaners " as you called them could always, I don't know, stay in their own #ing country?

I know I know, problem solved, but that doesn't help your bleeding heart right?

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 06:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: F4guy

No, he just thinks it's wrong to steal the money from American citizens of Mexican ancestry to keep them from feeding family members in Mexico. But, of course, to some people like you, anything you do to a "beaner", citizen or not, is OK

Or the " beaners " as you called them could always, I don't know, stay in their own #ing country?

I know I know, problem solved, but that doesn't help your bleeding heart right?

Some "beaners" are American.

This is their own country.

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
Sure. Let Trump charge Mexico to build the wall. Assuming they actually pay-up and don't laugh at us for being idiots, all Mexico has to do is put a tax on exports to the US, including a tax on food and automobile parts, and they recoup the loss.

In the end, the US middle class is left paying the bill.

You know most of their food comes from here right?

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: muse7

If the whole point of the wall is to cause damage to the Mexican economy wouldn't that encourage more illegal immigration into the US?

Not if companies like "Ford" continue to build factories there (2800 people that will NOT cross illegally the US/Mexico border). What does the UAW Union think of this, maybe there is a plan; invade Mexico with enough American Industry one achieves (a silent invasion) then a land grab.
edit on 5-4-2016 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 06:24 PM
link   

In a word.... Yes!!

Destroy the Mexican economy and there will be more and more people flooding in to this country.

Not if they couldn't get in.

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Sure. Let Trump charge Mexico to build the wall. Assuming they actually pay-up and don't laugh at us for being idiots, all Mexico has to do is put a tax on exports to the US, including a tax on food and automobile parts, and they recoup the loss.

In the end, the US middle class is left paying the bill.

You know most of their food comes from here right?

There is a 20% difference in trade between the US and Mexico. We import 20% more from Mexico than they do from us.

atlas.media.mit.edu...

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 06:26 PM
link   

In a word.... Yes!!

Not if they couldn't get in.

Wall or no wall, that will not be a problem.

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 06:26 PM
link   

In a word.... Yes!!

We are propping it up; not destroying it just by the drug use alone in the US funneled by the Sinaloa cartel (unless they are not paying taxes/bribes to the Mexican Government).

edit on 5-4-2016 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join