It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How would YOU want to die? Study reveals the 11 most important factors for dying well.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Have you ever thought about how you would like to die? In a new study, researchers have revealed the key characteristics of a 'good death'.
While it may seem morbid, it is important to openly discuss how we would like to pass away - and that such discussions could lead to a better death for patients, they said. This is partly because opinions on the best way to die different between different groups, researchers said. Patients said religion and spirituality were important, while family members believed dignity and life completion were more critical to a good death.

Dr Dilip Jeste, of the University of California San Diego School of Medicine, said: 'Death is obviously a controversial topic. 'People don't like to talk about it in detail, but we should. It's important to speak honestly and transparently about what kind of death each of us would prefer.' He and his team analysed 32 peer-reviewed reports of studies defining a 'good death.'

Researchers from University of California San Diego School of Medicine revealed the most important these associated with dying well. This is according to the patients themselves; family members – who were quizzed before or during bereavement - and healthcare providers.

Preferences for a specific dying process:

Pain-free status
Religiosity/spirituality
Emotional well-being
Life completion
Treatment preferences
Dignity
Family
Quality of life
Relationship with the health care provider
Other

LINK

We all have to go ...some day. Have you thought about your death and how you want to go?

Have you planned your funeral? I would recommend you consider cremation instead of being buried. It is less expensive than a burial, cleaner, less likely to pollute underground water and it is easier for the soul to move on once the body is destroyed.

Do you have a will? If not you should do one ASAP. Some countries will turn your possessions over to the STATE unless you have a will. You do not need an attorney and pay high fees to complete a will. If you are having problems writing your will check out this website, it might be of help to you:

How to write your will

So what is your perfect death and how would you prefer to die? Kicking and screaming or calm and prepared?

edit on 31-3-2016 by DeathSlayer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: DeathSlayer

I would like to die fighting for liberty. A warriors death defending my freedom.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Heroically or in my sleep

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

I would like to die fighting for liberty. A warriors death defending my freedom.

A warrior's death is respectable and honorable when fighting for liberty.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   

I would like to die at the same time than the Universe, if it doesn't bother anyone of course.

Maximum Entropy sounds quite exotic of a fate, would you not agree?

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

Heroically or in my sleep

Not a bad idea.

I have thought about dying in my sleep but how would I know that I had died if I was asleep?

For me, I want to be conscious to experience the entire death process. I watched my father die and as he was dying he spoke of how cold his feet became, then his legs, pelvis, stomach area.......and then he died.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: DeathSlayer
How would YOU want to die?

Lay down dancing with Sofia Vergara.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

I would like to die at the same time than the Universe, if it doesn't bother anyone of course.

Maximum Entropy sounds quite exotic of a fate, would you not agree?

Sounds like you want to live for a few million years..... if not for eternity ......also not a bad idea. Who wants to die anyway? If I had a choice I would prefer not to die and live for eternity. Read every book ever written..... become a master of every trade for all trades, read, write and speak all known languages.....for a start.....

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   

edit on 31-3-2016 by jacygirl because: technical difficulties

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   

I can't wait to see Death's face though when he'll see me!

"Oh no, I'm screwed. It's that genius, foxy, and quite frankly most awesome Skieswanne guy. Again. "

edit on 31-3-2016 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Assuming I'm widowed by then, preferably when I so choose so that I'm not slated to be an emotional & financial burden to our kids later in life. I don't want to live a long life if it means I have to rely on one or both of them to get through the days with excessive assistance in one form or another. I also don't want to be a burden in a home somewhere to the staff. I'd rather be allowed to go when I deem fit, after long-term interests/commitments of family fully considered. Just because I'll be elderly eventually doesn't mean it's an automatic "care for me" trade-off for parenting them.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

I can't wait to see Death's face though when he'll see me!

"Oh no, I'm screwed. It's that genius, foxy, and quite frankly most awesome Skieswanne guy. Again. "

Your comment made me think of a movie called Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure. A funny movie were Bill and Ted die and they beat death in various games and death has to bring them back to life!

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 03:59 PM
link   

I can feel that

I guess it might be like a dream so being asleep wouldn't change that.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
Assuming I'm widowed by then, preferably when I so choose so that I'm not slated to be an emotional & financial burden to our kids later in life. I don't want to live a long life if it means I have to rely on one or both of them to get through the days with excessive assistance in one form or another. I also don't want to be a burden in a home somewhere to the staff. I'd rather be allowed to go when I deem fit, after long-term interests/commitments of family fully considered. Just because I'll be elderly eventually doesn't mean it's an automatic "care for me" trade-off for parenting them.

I totally agree. I do not want to be a burden to my family and friends. I don't think any of us want that.

I had a friend who died and he had set it up to donate his body to a local university at no cost to the dead guy or to his family. The medical students used his body for medical exploration and for various classes.

I had another friend who dies and he set it up to have a bus come from CZECH to pick up his dead body and family members, they drive to CZECH were the dead guy was cremated as the family sat down and had a schnitzel dinner. They spent the night. The following day they held a ceremony for the dead guy, left his ashes there and the family were driven back home. Total costs was less than one thousand Euro.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: DeathSlayer
How would YOU want to die?

Lay down dancing with Sofia Vergara.

Truth. I want to come and go at the same time.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Have you planned your funeral? I would recommend you consider cremation instead of being buried. It is less expensive than a burial, cleaner, less likely to pollute underground water and it is easier for the soul to move on once the body is destroyed.

i agree with you that cremation is a cleaner way to be buried but how do you know it is easier for the soul to move on once the body is destroyed.

once i had an unusual experience: a close friend of mine died from cancer in a little country town. she was cremated withing a few hours. without knowing that at the time i had that unusual experience (if you had one you know what i'm talking about) and her essence was with me and she told me, that burning had hurt very very much.

since then i made a point to make it clear to those to be close at my death, to honour my wish to let me rest dead for another 3 days before the inevitable cremation.

but really i do not even want to be cremated. i would much rather be given to the vultures to pick clean my bones. as kind of a last being of service for a good cause. but that also only after a rest of 3 days dead.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl

I'd like to die after I've sorted everything out, so that may involve shuffling around with a notebook for a week or two. Failing that I'll take your method. (I had to google him but BY GOD, I'm glad I did).

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I just don't want to die in fear. The rest is negotiable. I will be back to haunt/stalk my children no matter when or how I go. Far too much of a control freak to let death keep me from my mommy duties.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: beansidhe

Aww, my friend...I felt 'dirty' so I deleted it, rofl.

Yeah, now you know...so, umm...just throw away the notebooks hunny!
(Seriously though...same goes for Roger Waters...I wouldn't consider it 'settling', haha!)

jacy

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   

I am going to donate my body to science and when they are done they will cremate, and it is all free. I'm 32, so I haven't set that up quite yet but I am going to soon because you just never know when you're going to go.

I want to go calm and prepared in my sleep preferably.
Very interesting thread

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join