It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Well, I guess I'm a snob now

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

originally posted by: jacygirl

a reply to: jacygirl

Everybody who is 'on the system' isn't abusing it. The ones who are...I don't judge. When you get to the bottom of society you really begin to see what a jungle it can be, and only the strong survive.

Maybe more of us SHOULD judge people who abuse the system set in place to offer assistance to citizens.
Maybe if more people who pay the taxes to provide assistance to those who genuinely require it...along with those who genuinely require it...judge the abusers more harshly and provoke legislation...the number of abusers could be reduced.

Hey IAMTAT!
I agree with what you're saying, but I also realize that these people are in 'survival mode' now.
Like any grouping in society, you have your percentage of sociopaths who have absolutely no conscience about doing wrong.
I was raised with morals/ethics, and almost had a heart attack once while temporarily driving my "unstickered license plate" car to a family emergency. My conscience is well aware and terribly upset that I'm tempting fate and breaking the law.
Quite honestly, I've met some brilliant law-breakers, who used to be fully functioning employees who got hurt at work, then royally screwed over...living in constant pain, and poverty. They had been 'middle class' and knew how to 'work a side business' efficiently....so they did.
Another type, the 'born into welfare' kids...had been through so much trauma that by their late teens they've learned how to make money, live cheap and suck at society's teat. They've been taught, that and the fact that really there isn't much opportunity to succeed around here anymore. Not if you're starting at rock bottom.

So anyway, back to my point...I just don't judge anymore. Too much that I've seen makes sense from so many different perspectives...I may not like how some people live, but I think I understand more than I used to.

jacy

HI JACY...
I know many are just trying to survive...they are the folks who need the assistance the most.
People being described in the OP...with 80 in. TV and extensive gaming systems...are the abusers I was talking about.
Their abuse takes from those who need it most.
BTW...sweet what you did for Ghost.

I know what you're saying and I used to think that way myself.
Now, looking at my own situation...yes we have a 60" tv that was bought a few years ago when my dad left me a small inheritance. Now they retail new for 1/4 of what we paid for it, and we would get barely anything to sell it. It is pretty much a distraction for 2 people stuck at home together 24/7 and broke. Thank God for documentaries.
But, some people will go "tsk, tsk, you can't be that hungry dear" to which I would answer, "I'm not."

As for Ghost...that was my pleasure. I enjoy having a rather large eclectic group of friends here, that I normally likely wouldn't know in real life.

jacy

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Honestly, I'd defend a person's right to choose entertainment over food.

In my teens I lived in a bedsit. No social life, no TV and only able to afford to listen to the radio in the mornings when it woke me up for work.

All I had to do was read. Without a book I'd have been stuck on my own with nothing to do but stare at four walls.

I would often choose to buy a cheap paperback even if it meant going a bit short on food. If you've got something to do you don't notice you're hungry. If you have a full belly you'll soon notice if you're bored or lonely.

If someone wants to live on bread and dripping so they can afford something like a holiday or TV I can respect their decision.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman
a reply to: SeaWorthy

That was his mess. To me and the rest of the world he did not lie, cheat or steal. He lived like a pig and had a sham marriage, sure. Not my dad or husband.

He had problems, just like you and I do.

In retrospect he enjoyed his last couple years before his death. he didnt walk away from his family. He WAS there for them and provided for them.

I see your point though. I just cant judge a person who never did me wrong.

I am the kind who would consider if he did others wrong, and since my wife is my world and seeing anyone wife treated like that would make me ill, it is hard to fanthom.
People do judge us by the friends we choose.

edit on 31-3-2016 by SeaWorthy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: ancientthunder
My advice to you is dont compare your life, do your job and where others appear to be is up to them. Be happy with your own efforts and dont dwell on anything you see. a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Easier said than done.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

People can judge. Some of us are beyond that.

I judge for me. The world is to often wrong to even consider its opinion anymore.

I know Tommy was a stand up guy. The world can go to hell-

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

a little off topic but your post saying. "the world is often too wrong to even consider its opinion anymore. "

that's a brilliant post. I might actually use that line in the future it's so perfectly accurate.

edit on 1-4-2016 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

I think this is the real issue. People who have their s$%t together aren't going to have time for every new video game and don't need every channel. Successful people make good decisions, like not making $600 a month payments on a BMW.

I actually feel pretty bad for these folks, I think it's a form of depression, living in squalor and trying to fill the void with fast food, booze, and shiny new things they can't afford.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1

I actually feel pretty bad for these folks, I think it's a form of depression, living in squalor and trying to fill the void with fast food, booze, and shiny new things they can't afford.

Actually a microcosm of society, today.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1

Actually a microcosm of society, today.

This, exactly. My brother lives like this. I don't even know where to begin. He has worked sporadically for the past 20 years, maybe about 3 or 4 years total. His wife supports the family and she has a higher than average salary for this part of the country. They have 3 kids together, and for most of the past 15 years he has called himself a "stay at home" dad. The problem is that he doesn't even "dad" right. He's a straight up alcoholic but in denial. I, myself, had started to develop a drinking problem a couple years ago, I would binge drink. I was never addicted, I don't crave it. But since I told my brother that that was the type of alcohol problem I had, he now tells me and others that that is the same problem he has. Also, I have had PTSD for the past 6 years due to working in the world of forensics for about 15 years. The things you see in that type of work will mess with you a little. I can smoke medical cannabis for it, and I'm good. But now, my brother has suddenly developed PTSD too. He claims because his friends girlfriend died. She died in hospital, because she was sick.

But that was enough for him to give him PTSD. Lol.

Well anyway, he lives way beyond his means. He bought a giant TV with his wife's tax return and shows it off like he bought it with his own cash. His house is always a mess because he won't clean it. His wife is at work all day and his kids are at school all day, and he won't clean his house. Its a mess. They live in the nicer area of town, and he had the nerve to brag to everyone that he was sick of living in the poorer area of town and now lives there, when it was his wife that got the better job to enable them to move there in the first place. That whole time he never had a job.

Oh, and he calls himself a genious. Really. He actually believes it.

He's too lazy to make dinner so they go out to eat all the time. I think a lot of their money goes to restaurants and fast food.

He's always broke too. Rent , iPhones, iPads, a motorcycle that doesn't work, 2 helmets for the same motorcycle he has paid 4000 dollars for and it don't work. He fills his life with crap and will steal your thunder and actually claim it as his.

I think it breaks down to depression.
edit on 1-4-2016 by galaga because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

First and foremost....thank you, thank you for this and thank you for being able to make such a post. Though I don't have much to add since you pretty much nailed it! Saddens me to read about this....because is true! I don't know why or when it all started happening but things seem to be getting worse and worse....

Mighty thumbs up for ya!

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   
you did not see that have in soul ... the words of the song: the dirt in hands at of the usurer, the dirt in eyes at of humorist , the dirt in eyes of the tv bell ringer and in hearts their too, not purely DIRT youtu.be... in Russian, but see of the muzzle. we have a common elite
edit on 3/4/16 by mangust69 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join