It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Well, I guess I'm a snob now

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

+7 more 
posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 10:45 PM
So I'm running cable now. I'm a cable guy. It's a neat job, and I'm loving it a lot more than anything I've done before. Only been doing it a month and I'm still on-job with a trainer, BUT

I'm noticing some trends I really don't like. It has to do with the customers I go to. I am getting a huge eye-opening of how others live, their incomes, their priorities, stuff like that. You can really learn a lot about a person just by walking throughout their yards and hallways, we go into closets and kitchens and see it all.

I visit a lot of scuzzy crackhouse type places. And they're springing for multiple cable boxes, internet, and the works. Premium channels, WiFi internet blah blah blah--stuff I can't currently afford, and couldn't afford working my last job either.

And some of these places are truly disgusting, the smells of a house never cleaned, and the carpets that are just..greasy...yes, greasy. Carpets aren't supposed to be greasy and oily!.. food and trash decorated throughout..that kind of stuff. Drugs and liquor strewn about, yes.

And then I get to their media stations--It's usually mountains of the latest video games (which, again, I've never been able to afford collections like these) and I literally saw a TV today as big as the entire wall it was propped against. I had no idea TVs were even made this big. Really.

It's a strange disparity of a house unkempt, filled with trash, and clearly in a state of squalor--and then suddenly, giant TVs, PS4's, etc--not to mention the shiny car outside.

Speaking of cars, I saw a real POS the other day with a sticker that said, "If I was on welfare I'd be driving an Escalade."

And now it's all kind of starting to make sense to me, this juxtaposition.

These people are clearly living in poorer conditions than I, and I, I can't afford a lot of the gadgets and luxuries I'm installing for them. Is this simply an 'Escalade' I'm looking at?

(I'm not suggesting that the unhygienic state of the house is linked to the occupant's income--It is just clear from what neighborhoods we visit, the condition of the house or apartment, etc. etc. etc. There are several clues that tell me about these people and their income.)

How are these people, who can't even bother to pick up their food waste and animal waste, pulling down this kind of money?

I was on food stamps for less than a year (a couple years ago) and it saved my life. As soon as I could, I went into the social services office and told them I want to cancel my benefits as I have an income now. The agent said, "Really?! Are you sure?! You don't have to do that, you still qualify.."

I told her I am aware, and that I appreciated the help when I needed it, but now I'm capable of paying for my own food, rent, bills etc. And I do. And it's a proud feeling for me compared to where I was in the past. And I'm not sore at all that I don't have premium cable, or a PS4.

I'm trying hard not to jump to conclusions or to judge, but I am just frustrated. I owe on my taxes this year, and I don't have lunch money until Friday (payday.)

Are these people living it up on welfare? I think so, yes, at least some of them are. It doesn't make sense to me any other way. I think I am getting my first real, live look at this 'welfare state' I keep hearing so much about. I am starting to get truly annoyed by the fact that I owe taxes, so that someone else can have cable and internet and video games in their ungodly scumholes.

I'd really like to ask some of these people how they can afford their services. I'd really like to tell them to stop living like a rabid animal.

But as my trainer told me when entering creepy crawlspaces, or climbing an aerial (I'm afraid of heights)--just do the job quick and don't think about it, and then get outta there!

I know this wasn't much of a rant, and not much of a post, but I am having trouble processing this new information!

edit on 30-3-2016 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 10:55 PM
One year ago, I made the best decision of my life and that was quitting my cable technician job that I had had for a couple of years.

It was exactly like you described. I would be installing cable at a house, while the gas guy was disconnecting their utilities. Priorities were definitely skewed. Alot of the places I installed, I would disconnect in three months when our "non-pay" thing kicked in. Finally got bought out by a huge cable company and their policy was 2 non-pay's and you can never hook up again.

Oh, buy lots of hand sanitizer, stock up on Emergen-C stuff, and get in with a good psychologist, cuz that job screws with your mind, body and soul.

**edit** - but I will add, that being your own boss (when you get out on your own) is pretty awesome.
edit on 3/30/2016 by saabster5 because: (no reason given)

*another edit* - almost spaced it about the liquor and drugs....Document that in your job notes. Just in case you get popped in a piss test, or the customer comes back and says you were doing drugs or something. Things get weird!
edit on 3/30/2016 by saabster5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 10:59 PM
a reply to: saabster5

Yes, it can be dirty

But I am more annoyed by the customers' living conditions paired with their expensive services.

It's just bizarre--

Thanks for the post. Maybe I will be one of those that gets burned out quick, but I hope not!

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 11:03 PM
Good Rant.
It was a very interesting thread and observations.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 11:07 PM
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

I love this post so much.

For one thing, I'm nosy, so its fun to get a report from someone in the field seeing the real America and then relaying it back. My god! It's worse than I thought.

Secondly, what more perfect example is there of the new America than to show where they spend their money? On TV, of course. Entertainment---most of it crap.

And thirdly, I'm just entirely proud that you can't skid on my carpets and that the only trash you'll find is in the garbage.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 11:20 PM
a reply to: MRuss

Yes, they are either pouring a very large majority of their money into this type of entertainment, or getting some kind of benefits.

I mean some places don't have a single piece of furniture, aside from a crummy mattress on the floor.

I am seeing weird stuff everyday.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 11:22 PM

I'm a Level Two Technician, and I can attest to what this guy is saying.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 11:27 PM
a reply to: IlluminatiTechnician

Any advice for me?

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 11:30 PM

I cant add too much. I will say that allot of what you say is true. I have always had friends of ALL walks of life. The ones that lived in the ghetto had bad spending habits. Thats why allot dont get out.

As far as hygiene and cleaning. Thats just because they are lazy. We arent rich in my family and I am currently the least wealthy I have ever been. We have never sacrificed cleaning and living like people. If you have little its easier to clean. LOL

It really is because they have given up all together. They dont see happiness beyond temporary distractions, because the pain of living as they do is constant.

I remember a friend I had from 16 years ago. Tommy. He died. He was REALLY over weight. He lived in a bad ghetto. I used to go to hang out with him after work. Smoke blunts and drink forties. chill....The life of a busboy wasted youth.

He had a SEPARATE apartment down the block from his home.....somehow, just to chill in so his wife wouldnt know. It was in a house whereas his family, wife and kids lived in a cramped apartment in a crap building.

I never understood how he could swing it. He was a food runner at a nice restaurant and on welfare. Eventually he got evicted from his place and moved his family into the nicer chill spot.

He would still smoke blunts and cigarettes and drink, just around his family now. I ended up not wanting to go back. I felt bad every time I would smoke or get drunk around his little kids. It was insane. Blasting music, weed, beer, cigarettes and little kids and baby toys lying around with shady people walking in and out, stepping on everything, breaking toys and breaking pictures thrown on the floor. Things like that. Really dirty. His wife holding a baby and screaming at him. ashtray floors, garbage pile corners of the rooms. I am not exaggerating.

I dont know. Some people just dont know another world. They cant imagine living different. The apartment got DIRTIER when his family moved in. It was cleaner when he used it to bring women or hang out.

Tommy was a stand up guy. HE was a good person. I dont know why he lived like he did. His weight may have had something to do with it. I dont know. I dont think he thought anything of it. It was normal. I think that is the problem.

They dont know how odd it is to finish a meal and just toss the garbage where ever. The dont know to light a cigarette outside when you have kids inside. To not ash on the floor. Dont know to take one day a week or one hour a day to clean. Wash dishes, take apart a closet or a fridge to scrub it down. It is not something they think of.

Some people really dont have good examples to draw from. They grew up like they live. I know Tommy's kids did. I saw it.

Sorry to go on a tangent. I initially wanted to post and run, but I got involved. Sorry OP. This IMO is a big issue is all.

Thanks for bringing it up.

edit on 3 30 2016 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 11:52 PM
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha Welcome to Obama Nation

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 02:24 AM
My dad used to always say that it's all about priorities. I have known people to have classy, expensive cars and live in houses that should be condemned. They cared more about having the car as a status symbol than they did about having a livable home. It's hard to "get it" when your priorities are totally different.

Way back in the day I delivered pizzas and ran into the same thing you do. I never "got it" then and I still don't.

As for affording it... Get yourself on some section 8 housing and you can afford it too. You can have all the play stuff when you don't have to pay but $50.00 a month in rent and the government is paying for your electricity, gas, and a portion (if not all) of your grocery bill. You could even afford all of it working part time.

The only reason most of us don't do that is because it is dishonorable and pretty much stealing when you don't need it. A lot of people these days do need it but those are usually the people that still can't afford the luxuries even with help.

And again... there are some folks that just don't see cleanliness, a bed, or a trash can as a necessity while they do see internet as one. Thank goodness we don't all have to live together.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 02:59 AM
My advice to you is dont compare your life, do your job and where others appear to be is up to them. Be happy with your own efforts and dont dwell on anything you see. a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 04:50 AM
Your rant reminds me of something... something that caused me great horror and self-loathing.

While my house is no where near as disgusting as those you mentioned, I had felt incredibly guilty at one stage because the real estate had called for a smoke alarm guy to go through all of their properties.. and I had no idea.

I had been sick all week, didn't really care about anything, any mess, would clean it all later when I felt better. But I had to go grocery shopping, we were out of necessities. Came back home to find the smoke alarm man had come and gone and I died inside wondering what he must've thought of my house. Toys everywhere, dishes unwashed, benches untidy, bin full with a smelly nappy (diaper) on top, hadn't vaccuumed or mopped for a week. The house all closed up and probably ponging. Blinds closed and the whole house dark.

I was utterly horrified that someone had witnessed that and scrubbed and cleaned everything within the hour before collapsing into bed because I still felt achey and awful.

Still, a letter in advance would have been nice so I knew and could've half-arsed something before the time.. but I received the letter of incoming smoke-alarm-man the next day. A day too late.

They use the same smoke alarm man every year... when he comes again in a few months, I hope he has forgotten that THIS was the property, that horrible property, that was so untidy on that long gone day.

edit on 31 3 2016 by kaelci because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 06:17 AM
a reply to: kaelci

I can so relate to your post. I've been ill for a while and struggle to keep up with the cleaning.

I've been wanting to pay someone to help me but just can't get the place quite smart enough to let them see it - especially the nooks and crannies.

It's a real fear of being judged and possibly gossiped about that's making me leave a situation untended when it can only get worse.

At least I'm tidy though so all is not quite lost

OP - try not to be too judgemental, you don't know the difficulties in the lives of your clients. And, after all, you don't know they think of you.

edit on 31-3-2016 by berenike because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 06:26 AM

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha
a reply to: MRuss

Yes, they are either pouring a very large majority of their money into this type of entertainment, or getting some kind of benefits.

I mean some places don't have a single piece of furniture, aside from a crummy mattress on the floor.

I am seeing weird stuff everyday.

As a former landlord of third-class property, as I called it, I understand the general sentiment of the people that you complain about. They will more readily stop at an expensive "convenience" store to buy a six pack and fast food rather than take the extra time to go the a decent, cost-saving supermarket. They don't have the time for an analysis of their way of living it is because of a need to sate a hunger that they cannot escape, and worse, the instinctly know it. Their impulsive, local stops for beer, ciggies and a box of fried chicken is their way of rewarding themselves in lieu for what they don't have. It is a lifestyle driven by the silent desperation that they damned well know that they are losers. Of course they will milk the system or ruin their own (possible) lives for the sake of a few minutes of satisfaction material comforts be it via sex, drink, fast food, drugs or electronic distractions. It is an escapism from reality or merely another way of simply being?

If we tend to use an enlightened historical figure as our silent mentor, perhaps we should be careful in how we rate the existence of other souls that follow a different path vastly different than our own. Our "progress" may be superior to theirs in some respects, but is it really? Do maybe they understand the futility of it all better than the rest of us?

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 06:48 AM
a reply to: kaelci

In you live in an apartment, and your association wants to install or upgrade...we go in whether you are home or not!

I don't like...but it's what I have to do.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 06:52 AM
a reply to: Aliensun

Lots of wisdom and insight in your post. Thanks for contributing.

Escapism is the key here.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 06:52 AM

Oh yes, I have no problem with that
but generally we're supposed to get a notice of intent a week beforehand. So sayeth my contract at any rate. And I did get the letter!
Just... a day after the fact. *shakes fist*.

Just thought I'd chime in with my own experience, being the messy party in this particular circumstance. I'm not usually so horribly messy! Honestly! But that timing, Murphy's Law and all.

Edit to clarify:
With my "messy" terminology... I associate that week's living state as described in my other post with a social class in Australia known as "bogans", and I'm sure the man who came to check my fire alarms immediately came to that conclusion about myself. The Bogan Stereotype - Having child after child for money, unemployed because government money is better, ignoring their children to drink, smoke, get high, spend the remainder of their money on fancy things such as cable, big flashy TVs, etc.
edit on 31 3 2016 by kaelci because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 06:57 AM
This post wasn't supposed to be about tidiness so much as incongruent lifestyles?

As I said, I owe taxes on the 15th, have no lunch money tomorrow, and am going to install cable and internet for someone who can't seem to afford it.

I am more calm now though

edit on 31-3-2016 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 07:24 AM
my husband used to install kitchen and baths. one house he went to had dog sh#t everywhere. he actually refused to work until they cleaned it up. this was a young couple with kids. he figured they were using meth. super sad and gross.

new topics

<<   2  3 >>