It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Well, I guess I'm a snob now

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 07:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha
a reply to: MRuss

Yes, they are either pouring a very large majority of their money into this type of entertainment, or getting some kind of benefits.

I mean some places don't have a single piece of furniture, aside from a crummy mattress on the floor.

I am seeing weird stuff everyday.

As a former landlord of third-class property, as I called it, I understand the general sentiment of the people that you complain about. They will more readily stop at an expensive "convenience" store to buy a six pack and fast food rather than take the extra time to go the a decent, cost-saving supermarket. They don't have the time for an analysis of their way of living it is because of a need to sate a hunger that they cannot escape, and worse, the instinctly know it. Their impulsive, local stops for beer, ciggies and a box of fried chicken is their way of rewarding themselves in lieu for what they don't have. It is a lifestyle driven by the silent desperation that they damned well know that they are losers. Of course they will milk the system or ruin their own (possible) lives for the sake of a few minutes of satisfaction material comforts be it via sex, drink, fast food, drugs or electronic distractions. It is an escapism from reality or merely another way of simply being?

If we tend to use an enlightened historical figure as our silent mentor, perhaps we should be careful in how we rate the existence of other souls that follow a different path vastly different than our own. Our "progress" may be superior to theirs in some respects, but is it really? Do maybe they understand the futility of it all better than the rest of us?

STANDING OVATION

Amazing insight in your response.

As a woman who went from upper middle class to absolute poverty, due to domestic violence...I have lived in both worlds. It's not easy to have the "class" of having lived the "superior" life when you are in a trailer park surrounded by drug addicts and alcoholics....who by the way, were just as decent if not more so....

I'm now living a more superior life in a material sense, but the abuse left me with a permanent chronic back injury.
A day of cleaning my apartment (so that I could feel okay about inviting the landlord in to do some work)...ended up with me stuck in pain on the couch for 2 weeks.

OP...you're not a snob. I used to be much more judgemental in my past life...these days I barely have any judgement left, only because I have "been there done that".

jacy

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   
This is truly an underrated and fantastic thread. S+F to the OP.

What I find interesting about this thread is reflected in my own choices. I must admit that I have a number of vices. The one vice that really puts things into perspective for me is my love and adoration for The Walking Dead. Never in my life have I found a television show that I would move heaven and earth to consume.

I was a Dish Network customer for twelve years, they lost AMC, I told them to get effed. I went with Direct TV. Then the same thing happened to them, again I told them to get effed. Now I'm with cable. I have changed providers twice only to keep up with that show. I admit that it isn't healthy.

Thing is, I live in an area where the economy crashed in the 80's and never recovered. We live decent lives here in rural West Texas, only because for many there was never a recovery for nearly three decades. Now, this all depends on your profession. If you are into Oil, then everything economically is in waves. Agriculture, not so much. Agriculture rides just above the base-line as it always has. It's comfortable for me because I found how to live within my means and just maintain. (No kids is the key)

There are those which the OP speaks of, but it doesn't seem as rampant here as in Central Texas. Central Texas is full of meth-heads. They fit the mold of what the OP is describing. They have this up and down sine-wave about them which would give a normal person whip-lash. They always seem to have the cool sh*t, not because they worked for it, but because one of their meth-head buddies was hard up enough for a fix to trade off his shiny gadget for the pleasure.

I've befriended many people in my life. I see the potential in them weather they see it or not. I do this only because I once needed a hand, and it was given by the person who had the least reason to do so, but he saw something of himself in me. We were enemies at the time, but he set that all aside to help me through a trauma, and subsequent hardship. I will do my damn part to repay that 100 fold, in a paid-forward sense.

I love observational threads such as these. They remind me to take a moment to reflect. To really assess what I have gone through, what I have learned from, and to strive not only for understanding and acceptance, but to surpass complacency and achieve.

To the OP, don't be discouraged by what you witness. Know that there is an explanation, most of which you already understand but don't want to be judgemental. Know that honest work and achievement have afforded you riches beyond any paycheck, trendy gadget or service package. Time is on your side as much as it is for anybody else. We experience these things to prepare us for those instances where we have a choice.. The choices are different for everybody, but the observations you have made will help you decide what to do in those instances.

Sorry if this sent me off on a brain ramble... These things just happen.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl

I feel like a snob.

The phrase, "live within your means," comes to mind.

But then welfare comes along and says, "live how you want, it's all paid for!"

Then apparently I made too much money last year, which to me, is a laugh.

It is a complex set of issues and I probably shouldn't have tackled it without a proper arsenal of thought. It was just the end of a long, bad day when I posted.

But I feel as if I am observing in the field, instead of speculating behind a keyboard, how this welfare state works. Before, I never thought about it--now, I just find it frustrating.

edit on 31-3-2016 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Do you claim zero dependents? Claim zero, overpay throughout the year, and get back a measly amount come tax season. We get raped regardless, but getting something back at the end of the year is the only thing that keeps me from losing my cool and really railing against the grain... So to speak...

Lets just say the parasites really deserve everything that comes to them.. Joseph Stack should be a national hero.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Bobaganoosh

I try not to give guv an interest-free loan if I can help it (In fact I am owed quite a bit from another department..when will I see it? Only a fool would say!)

So I made my claims for job one, and zero claims for my second job.

It was my 2nd job that got me. I was only working 40-45 hours a week for a pittance, so I am surprised I owed anything.

It's not much that I owe, 150.00, so maybe I am overreacting a bit.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 12:52 PM
link   

I feel like a snob.

The phrase, "live within your means," comes to mind.

But then welfare comes along and says, "live how you want, it's all paid for!"

Then apparently I made too much money last year, which to me, is a laugh.

NarcolepticBuddha....I'm going to be honest...when it comes to assistance from the government, I've seemed to fall thru every crack, and never received the assistance that I watched others get. I just don't understand.

The ones who are living with all those goodies are dabbling in money-making...on the side. I receive $600/month to live on (disability for back injury), which I couldn't do alone. My partner gets laid off every winter and his unemployment is 40% of his net pay. We have gone without food this winter...his benefits are running out, and they don't have work booked yet.

I know some people living in gov't. assisted housing, getting every benefit possible, some possibly doing illegal activities earning extra money. We are playing by all the legal rules, and going without.

The internet is an expense but it is also my lifeline to my friends here. It may be a coping device, but it's working so it's considered a priority.

I knew a very old lady with cancer who had to sell half her prescription of painkillers every month, just to have the money to buy next month's prescription.

Everybody who is 'on the system' isn't abusing it. The ones who are...I don't judge. When you get to the bottom of society you really begin to see what a jungle it can be, and only the strong survive.

jacy
edit on 31-3-2016 by jacygirl because: splaining

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Wow. That is rough... Both your and her story.

There are things you can do or at least try, not to go hungry. I'm not advancing some ideology or anything. I do have concerns. I've had it well for the last decade, but I'm not naive enough to believe it will last. These things are occasionally beyond our control.

Currently, I'm trying to grow potatoes for myself. It is indoors somewhat, and in containers. The elements here can be brutal, so gardening is difficult for a novice such as I. I can kill cactus. I've done it. I chose potatoes as a confidence builder to work myself up to other mini-crops. I can't wait to get into sprouts.

Just little interests of this nature make the most of our time, and still allot enough "free time" to pursue the knowledge the internet connections (we sacrifice to maintain) provide.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Hiya Bobaganoosh! Love your name, lol.

Thank you.
I think the worst lesson I learned so far, is that the people you helped once/often/always won't always help you back...and...unfortunately when you're really down & out, the predators sniff you out and offer assistance (but never confess that their interest is purely selfish).

I haven't tried growing any food, but I do have a large balcony and should look into it. This winter I've been particularly depressed, but Spring is almost here and hopefully I will get inspired after I start doing some research.

I'm also looking into writing screenplays, lol...yeah I know...dream on...but if I could get paid for writing, I would be living in my own personal Utopia!!

jacy

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   

You aren't overreacting over 150 bucks. If you want to see an overreaction, just refuse to pay it. That will bring a real overreaction on the part of the parasites that are dunning you for it. The parasites that have bled everybody dry for an unfathomable amount of the dollars you and I and many others survive on.

Let that sink in... These people take in billions upon billions a year. Those same people are enablers of the "lifestyle choices" you are witnessing. It's going to affect you. Just don't let it infect you.

edit on 31-3-2016 by Bobaganoosh because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   

a reply to: Aliensun

Lots of wisdom and insight in your post. Thanks for contributing.

Escapism is the key here.

Good luck with that , Expect to find the odd decomposing body once or twice a year , i went to a home once where the person had been dead for months , What i first thought was rubbish bags on top of a bed was actually a body .

In the UK a lot of undercover cops on the drug squad train to do your job so they get into peoples homes & put them on a list for a further visit , as you say you get everywhere and see all , maybe one of your co- workers is a double agent

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Disability. I was given a favorable decision in court for a disability claim of a closed period. The judge decided for 2 years I was disabled (even though I put 18 months on my claim.)

It took nearly 3 years to get to court. And still 6 months after the court decision was processed, I wait to see payment from SSA.

It has been one of the most disillusionary and disheartening experiences I've been through. I called SSA and they can only tell me I am owed, but am not on a payment schedule, and that they do not know why--and to call back in 30 days :-P

jacygirl, just hang in there! If a thread is all you have, hold tight, because change is always happening and even the bad things don't last forever.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

Tommy was a stand up guy. HE was a good person.

I guess we all have different versions of what is good to us and stand up to us.

The guy kept a separate secret home he used Family money for, he had a wife and kids and brought Women to the house while his Family lived in a squalid apartment. Maybe the wife didn't clean because she gave up long ago with a husband like him and a bunch of his kids.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   

jacygirl, just hang in there! If a thread is all you have, hold tight, because change is always happening and even the bad things don't last forever.

I hear you and I'm so sorry. I feel like I've been screwed over, humiliated, judged, frowned upon...all for starting out as a middle class wife then mother, who got cheated on and divorced...remarried and eventually ended up at the local women's shelter...now living on a disability with chronic pain (due to domestic violence).
Eww, it DOES sound rather pathetic, lol.

I am strong, and am definitely hanging in there...you too! I believe something good is coming, if only for the fact that the math works out that way, lol. (you know, ratios and percentages...after so much bad luck, something's gotta give)

jacy

edit on 31-3-2016 by jacygirl because: a missing t, not to be confused with a missing tshirt

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Greetings- Kudos to You. You'd only come to this conclusion through 'self reflection' and most NEVER take that trip so they feel that they are 'fine' or 'normal'.

I remember going on My very first call as a police officer. Because I was 'In Training' I knew that any call that was off kilter was coming My way. As soon as My Training Officer got His FREE coffee from 7-11™ We were en route to a "Suspicious circumstances" (dead baby. 8 months old.) The apt. had beds and no sheets, pots w/old fish that looked like a science project but had a Big Screen and FULL cable. While trying to talk with the "grieving Father" he was busy trying to look around Me to watch t.v. in COLOR while His baby lay dead in the other room.

As I continued My career and was making real good $$$, I worried about My son. I would come across folks that wouldn't give 2 squirts to family if they were on fire, and folks who turned in murderous family members for $40.00. I often wondered how these folks can afford to bring more mouths to feed? Yet they say that they are "wanting"? If struggling is the 'key', then I can see how many others You can drag down would be beneficial, but is that the point? I can't afford a "want" so let Us procreate and bring more doubt into the picture..

In that line of work there is a saying: "You'll see the best people at their worst and the worst people at their best..." I guess for television techs it would be "Do Your job the best You can and HOPE these folks get BETTER reception"?

Or could it be as 'simple' as Want vs. Need?

Or---

They're all future politicians and enjoy spending other folks' $$$? I have what I need and have just "enough" I'll want for no thing.

namaste

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Everybody who is 'on the system' isn't abusing it. The ones who are...I don't judge. When you get to the bottom of society you really begin to see what a jungle it can be, and only the strong survive.

Maybe more of us SHOULD judge people who abuse the system set in place to offer assistance to citizens.
Maybe if more people who pay the taxes to provide assistance to those who genuinely require it...along with those who genuinely require it...judge the abusers more harshly and provoke legislation...the number of abusers could be reduced.
edit on 31-3-2016 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

Maybe more of us SHOULD judge people who abuse the system set in place to offer assistance to citizens.
Maybe if more people who pay the taxes to provide assistance to those who genuinely require it...along with those who genuinely require it...judge the abusers more harshly and provoke legislation...the number of abusers could be reduced.

Hey IAMTAT!
I agree with what you're saying, but I also realize that these people are in 'survival mode' now.
Like any grouping in society, you have your percentage of sociopaths who have absolutely no conscience about doing wrong.
I was raised with morals/ethics, and almost had a heart attack once while temporarily driving my "unstickered license plate" car to a family emergency. My conscience is well aware and terribly upset that I'm tempting fate and breaking the law.
Quite honestly, I've met some brilliant law-breakers, who used to be fully functioning employees who got hurt at work, then royally screwed over...living in constant pain, and poverty. They had been 'middle class' and knew how to 'work a side business' efficiently....so they did.
Another type, the 'born into welfare' kids...had been through so much trauma that by their late teens they've learned how to make money, live cheap and suck at society's teat. They've been taught, that and the fact that really there isn't much opportunity to succeed around here anymore. Not if you're starting at rock bottom.

So anyway, back to my point...I just don't judge anymore. Too much that I've seen makes sense from so many different perspectives...I may not like how some people live, but I think I understand more than I used to.

jacy

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

That was his mess. To me and the rest of the world he did not lie, cheat or steal. He lived like a pig and had a sham marriage, sure. Not my dad or husband.

He had problems, just like you and I do.

In retrospect he enjoyed his last couple years before his death. he didnt walk away from his family. He WAS there for them and provided for them.

I see your point though. I just cant judge a person who never did me wrong.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I guess it is fair to say I've had plenty of great customers too. There are a lot of interesting characters out there, and many who welcome me into their home as a guest instead of a servant.

Many people offer us drinks and snacks and gratitude--this includes all income brackets.

Thanks to all for participating and contributing--a lot of good information and experience gathered in this thread!

It was nice to hear from everyone.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: jacygirl

originally posted by: IAMTAT

Hey IAMTAT!
I agree with what you're saying, but I also realize that these people are in 'survival mode' now.
Like any grouping in society, you have your percentage of sociopaths who have absolutely no conscience about doing wrong.
I was raised with morals/ethics, and almost had a heart attack once while temporarily driving my "unstickered license plate" car to a family emergency. My conscience is well aware and terribly upset that I'm tempting fate and breaking the law.
Quite honestly, I've met some brilliant law-breakers, who used to be fully functioning employees who got hurt at work, then royally screwed over...living in constant pain, and poverty. They had been 'middle class' and knew how to 'work a side business' efficiently....so they did.
Another type, the 'born into welfare' kids...had been through so much trauma that by their late teens they've learned how to make money, live cheap and suck at society's teat. They've been taught, that and the fact that really there isn't much opportunity to succeed around here anymore. Not if you're starting at rock bottom.

So anyway, back to my point...I just don't judge anymore. Too much that I've seen makes sense from so many different perspectives...I may not like how some people live, but I think I understand more than I used to.

jacy

HI JACY...
I know many are just trying to survive...they are the folks who need the assistance the most.
People being described in the OP...with 80 in. TV and extensive gaming systems...are the abusers I was talking about.
Their abuse takes from those who need it most.
BTW...sweet what you did for Ghost.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   

When we first came to the country my friend started growing tomatoes from the seeds of store-bought tomatoes.

The yield was phenomenal and they actually tasted of tomatoes, not like the flavour-free originals.

We were lucky at that time to have a greenhouse but I understand that it's possible to get a good result growing them near a sunny window.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join