It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unedited footage of the bombing of Nagasaki

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tsuro
Anyone forget the firebombing raids? But Nukes make a spectacular show..

No. They were mentioned on page 1

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3danimator2014

originally posted by: Bedlam

originally posted by: Skid Mark
Sorry if this sounds stupid. I read somewhere that an atomic bomb fries circuitry and electronics from an EM pulse. Were the planes shielded against that? If not, how did they not get friend? Were they too high up?

Air bursts don't generate much in the way of EMP. A ground burst will generate a bit more. But the real EMP payoff requires a high altitude nuclear detonation.

Why would a ground burst generate more? I thought it would be the other way round

It's due to how the EMP is produced.

Gamma rays from the bomb knock electrons off of gas atoms. The electrons have a high velocity and start curving in the Earth's magnetic field, since that's not very strong you get EM radiation mostly in the 30MHz and down spectrum. There's another effect caused by the magnetic field lines being kicked back by the electrons doing this, and another that's caused by the electrons that come off the gas going downwards that causes geomagnetic heave.

A HAND gets you all of that PLUS the bonus gift of hitting very low pressure gas so penetrating more and getting more free electrons. So more radio output.

A midair burst gets you as much up flow as down so the heave component is less. You also have a sort of cancellation effect of part of the radio wave blast because you've got electrons spiraling both ways, it also reduces the fast magnetic buck. But not totally.

A ground blast is unidirectional like a HAND but it's in thick air so your electron free path is a lot shorter.

So if you plot the side effect intensity vs altitude, you see it be near zero in space away from the planet, then rise to a max in the outer ionosphere, dip to a minimum around 5000 feet and rise to a lower max in ground burst.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
Sorry if this sounds stupid. I read somewhere that an atomic bomb fries circuitry and electronics from an EM pulse. Were the planes shielded against that? If not, how did they not get friend? Were they too high up?

Air bursts don't generate much in the way of EMP. A ground burst will generate a bit more. But the real EMP payoff requires a high altitude nuclear detonation.

Why would a ground burst generate more? I thought it would be the other way round

It's due to how the EMP is produced.

Gamma rays from the bomb knock electrons off of gas atoms. The electrons have a high velocity and start curving in the Earth's magnetic field, since that's not very strong you get EM radiation mostly in the 30MHz and down spectrum. There's another effect caused by the magnetic field lines being kicked back by the electrons doing this, and another that's caused by the electrons that come off the gas going downwards that causes geomagnetic heave.

A HAND gets you all of that PLUS the bonus gift of hitting very low pressure gas so penetrating more and getting more free electrons. So more radio output.

A midair burst gets you as much up flow as down so the heave component is less. You also have a sort of cancellation effect of part of the radio wave blast because you've got electrons spiraling both ways, it also reduces the fast magnetic buck. But not totally.

A ground blast is unidirectional like a HAND but it's in thick air so your electron free path is a lot shorter.

So if you plot the side effect intensity vs altitude, you see it be near zero in space away from the planet, then rise to a max in the outer ionosphere, dip to a minimum around 5000 feet and rise to a lower max in ground burst.

Great info and explanation as always mate. Thank you!

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: brice
a reply to: 3danimator2014

What we have now? It's been 60 years since the invention of the nuclear bomb, Surely we have something more diabolical malicious and evil than a bomb?

We have gamma bombs now. But i am sure were working on a anti matter bomb. I dprefeer DARPA give me a call back about my microblack hole bomb. Increases gravity in a localized area crushing all targets to death.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

originally posted by: brice

What we have now? It's been 60 years since the invention of the nuclear bomb, Surely we have something more diabolical malicious and evil than a bomb?

We have gamma bombs now. But i am sure were working on a anti matter bomb. I dprefeer DARPA give me a call back about my microblack hole bomb. Increases gravity in a localized area crushing all targets to death.

Considering the price of antimatter is estimated to be between 25 billion and 62 trillion dollars per gram...I think it's unlikely they are anywhere close to antimatter bombs

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 08:23 PM
link   

kinda off topic, but there are thought to be 160 people who survived both Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings.
the government of Japan only recognized 1.

Tsutomu Yamaguchi (山口 彊 Yamaguchi Tsutomu?) (March 16, 1916 – January 4, 2010) was a survivor of both the Hiroshima and Nagasaki atomic bombings during World War II. Although at least 160 people are known to have been affected by both bombings,[1] he is the only person to have been officially recognized by the government of Japan as surviving both explosions.[2]
Tsutomu Yamaguchi

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: liveandlearn

I will never understand this mentality. It was war.

In war I will shoot you in the back, throw dirt in your face and bite your ears off.

It is war. Not a movie or a speach after the fact.

Dont worry. We will see soon enough.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Finding it hard to believe this is the Bomb.
Guys fiddling about with an old block and tackle,lifting this monster.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 10:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: peter vlar
Though I doubt much could have levelled the playing field for the horrors and medical experiments the Japanese imposed on the POW's they took.

The Koreans hate the Japanese with a passion. While I was in Korea, I saw some of the stuff the Koreans make public. Stuff that is never seen in America. Suffice it to say that the Japanese did some seriously inhumane s#. They got less than what they deserved. Had their population been attrited to the same degree as the combined totals of the Russians, the Chinese, and the Americans ... I'd have been prone to saying they paid what they owed.

The Japanese got over big time. They only had to deal with MacArthur at the end.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 11:58 PM
link   
a reply to: liveandlearn

Nobody is proud of killing anyone unless you're crazy.
What WE are proud of is the victory.
WHAT we are happy about is that there still IS a Japan and we didn't have to kill them all in an invasion.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 12:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

My ex HATED them just mentioning Japan drew a sour face , I married her in Song San Dong outside of Cp. Stanley.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 12:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: 1KINGHUGO

They were what I call "True Grit", back then. Someone posted a video on ATS a couple years ago of military guys standing outside on a hilltop to watch a nuclear test! The concussion blasted the hats off their heads, about 15 seconds after detonation.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 01:29 AM
link   

I think it's unlikely they are anywhere close to antimatter bombs

Bombs are so...crude. Antimatter is a blunt object already, just hosing it around would be bomb-y enough.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Old nukes were massive. And back then, the explosive lensing for Fat Arse was crude, and occupied a lot of space. They do that differently now on most designs, and it's a lot less bulky.

We also don't need/use nearly as much tamper or casing, they weren't sure at the time what the limits on that were. You can get quite a dandy thermonuke in a package two people could tote if they had to. One, for a limited distance if you had a hoss underneath it.

The current state of the art would let you ruck quite a nice boosted nuke without cracking a sweat, about half the yield as Fat Man here.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 01:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
a reply to: FlyingFox

My guess is Allied High Command determined the level of atrocities being committed on the Chinese Mainland were unacceptable, and chose to "pull the trigger"

Was it not similar decision making used when we invaded the middle east, we invaded to free the people from their dictators and their chemical weapons...

No, because every situation is different. I'd say offhand it's more similar to Allied liberation in Europe, particularly the concentration camps.

I suggest reading up on the facts of the matter.

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 20-3-2016 by FlyingFox because: freedom

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Why not? Bombs are perfectly safe until armed. Don't drop it though .

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   

This was a horrible tragedy but one that had to happen.

This no longer was a war between Govt. but a war between Scientist. I remember watching a documentary on this. It had to do with people like Heisenberg, Einstein, Szilard and Oppenheimer. This would make a very suspensful movie.

Heisenberg was working with the Germans trying to build a bomb. Einstein didn't think it could happen but Szilard figured out how a chain reaction could occur. When Szilard told Einstein that Hitler might get access to a bomb like this Einstein immediately wrote a letter to President Roosevelt.

This essentially became a war of Science that was played out by Governments. When you think about it, Science is the number 1 contributor to war. This has been true from the catapult to the Atomic bomb.
edit on 20-3-2016 by neoholographic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: neoholographic

This was a horrible tragedy but one that had to happen.

This no longer was a war between Govt. but a war between Scientist. I remember watching a documentary on this. It had to do with people like Heisenberg, Einstein, Szilard and Oppenheimer. This would make a very suspensful movie.

Heisenberg was working with the Germans trying to build a bomb. Einstein didn't think it could happen but Szilard figured out how a chain reaction could occur. When Szilard told Einstein that Hitler might get access to a bomb like this Einstein immediately wrote a letter to President Roosevelt.

This essentially became a war of Science that was played out by Governments. When you think about it, Science is the number 1 contributor to war. This has been true from the catapult to the Atomic bomb.

Science is the number one contributor to everything in life. The good and the bad. We have to take the bad to with the good. And the good that came from the nuclear physics knowledge gained by building the bomb far outweighs the bad in my opinion. And that includes incidents like chernobyl and fukishima et al...

There is that famous black and white photo of all the physicists at a physics conference somewhere and it's incredible how many of them that shaped the science laws and the world we live in today were all alive and working at the same time.

It must have been a breathtaking time for physics. The discovery of fission, the birth of QM. Amazing.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

It had to do with people like Heisenberg, Einstein, Szilard and Oppenheimer.

You can add to that list, Rudolf Peleris, Otto Frisch, Mark Oliphant, James Chadwick, Niels Bohr, Sir Geoffrey Taylor, James Tuck who where all members of " The Tube Alloys Project" that amalgamated with " The Manhattan Project "

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Oh go on ,TELL the people about that blast.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join