It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unedited footage of the bombing of Nagasaki

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Hi all,

I just finished watching this and thought you guys might enjoy it. As the title states, its footage of them prepping and dropping the second and last atomic bomb ever used against another country. Its silent, but gives some very interesting facts that you might not know as well as point out little things on the bomb itself. Very interesting.

I have a very heavy fascination with nuclear bombs/nuclear physics (i even own a binded book of Glenn T. Seaborg and Albert Ghiorso's old published papers on the transuranic elements...not that i undertand more than 10% of what they wrote about) and this video quenches that thirst to know more.
Enjoy.

+17 more 
posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: 3danimator2014

70K largely innocent people dead due to actions of their gov and our gov. One has to wonder how anyone can walk away from this action and be proud of who they are.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Impressive footage - and painful to watch. 70,000 people gone, instantly.

Please, never again.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a dreadful event. you may have already read 'The making of the Atomic Bomb' by Richard Rhodes, but if not, it's a tremendous history of the bomb and the physicists who developed it - i'm currently re-reading it again.

"The author recounts the story of how the atomic bomb was developed, from the discovery at the turn of century of the vast energy locked inside the atom, to the dropping of the first bombs on Japan during the Second World War."

i highly recommend it.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 10:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: liveandlearn

70K largely innocent people dead due to actions of their gov and our gov. One has to wonder how anyone can walk away from this action and be proud of who they are.

Absolutely nothing compared to the firebombing of Tokyo. GEN LeMay openly admitted he would have been prosecuted for war crimes had the Axis Powers prevailed.

I don't think there was very much chest thumping over any of it. It was an event that needed to be carried out ... and there were hard men on-hand to make the call. Their solemn responses of summation definitely set a tone.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Agree with both of you. Its incredible. But what is really frightening in my opinion is that those bombs were TINY compared to what we have now. 70k is bad enough, but millions would be killed in a flash if one of the newer ones fell on London.

But looking at it from a scientific angle, the bombs were always going to be created. After all, fission would ultimately be discovered and that and e=mc2 would give anybody inclined that way the idea to create a weapon. But a lot of good has come from them scientifically. Our knowledge of nuclear physics owes a lot to atomic bomb testing...of course it didnt have to be at the expense of 140,000 people.

I personally don't lament the bomb being invented, only its use on Hiroshima an Nagasaki. Because of science and also because I believe its very existance has kept the world fairly peaceful since WWII.

Have you guys seen these (incredibly spooky and technically incredible) images taken of the nuclear fireball a millionth of a second after detonation?

www.google.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 10:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

Absolutely nothing compared to the firebombing of Tokyo. GEN LeMay openly admitted he would have been prosecuted for war crimes had the Axis Powers prevailed.

I don't think there was very much chest thumping over any of it. It was an event that needed to be carried out ... and there were hard men on-hand to make the call. Their solemn responses of summation definitely set a tone.

Quoted for agreement. I dont recall reading about anyone in power at the time bragging about the two drops. And Tokyo firebombing was absolutely horrific.

That said, one bomb, i can kind of see a purpose...two? That's pushing it in my opinion. But i will admit, i dont know a lot about history. Maybe two were needed.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 10:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: RoScoLaz4
a dreadful event. you may have already read 'The making of the Atomic Bomb' by Richard Rhodes, but if not, it's a tremendous history of the bomb and the physicists who developed it - i'm currently re-reading it again.

"The author recounts the story of how the atomic bomb was developed, from the discovery at the turn of century of the vast energy locked inside the atom, to the dropping of the first bombs on Japan during the Second World War."

i highly recommend it.

I haven't and i will look into it. I did read a book Called Plutonium: A History of the World's Most Dangerous Element, which talks about how fission was discovered and how odd Pu's chemistry is. Interesting....if very niche. You have to be dedicated to wanting to know more about the subject to finish the book. Haha

Thanks for your recommendation. I might buy it now.
edit on 18-3-2016 by 3danimator2014 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 10:31 PM
link   

No one was proud. I read a great article about the pilot of the Enola Gay meeting one of the victims....its was incredibly moving and he was certainly not proud. Ill try to find it.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 10:33 PM
link   

I think two were necessary. It was an unbelievable event. It ... happening twice ... made it unmistakeable.

If we could only understand the effect that had on Japanese mentality. You'd have to talk to the Chinese and Koreans about how 'they' were. Maybe some survivors of the Bataan Death March. The whole country had a messed up (fanatical) mentality and it took a totally radical event to wake 'em up and bring 'em back to reality.

And ... look at what they're sliding back towards thanks to Chinese provocation. -sigh

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 10:34 PM
link   

A suicidal people actually. they were taught to comit suicide if they were invaded so in actuality th e bombings SAVED lives in th elong run.

ALso they were weaponized as well. they were in the factories and producing goods for th ewar effort. they were military targets.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I can understand some experiencing the remorse afterward. Still it is govs decision to wage war for what ever egregious reason they may chose. The people making bombs are victims of their gov programming, thinking they are helping and trying to make a living both here and there. We glorified the women working in the factories. All propaganda to reach the respective govs goals. And we were so gloriously good we continue to this day. Makes one wonder if we would be different had the bomb be dropped on us a couple times

Cynical I am. Sick of made up wars

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3danimator2014

Quoted for agreement. I dont recall reading about anyone in power at the time bragging about the two drops. And Tokyo firebombing was absolutely horrific.

That said, one bomb, i can kind of see a purpose...two? That's pushing it in my opinion. But i will admit, i dont know a lot about history. Maybe two were needed.

Neither were needed. The Emperor had offered to surrender twice and the main impetus for dropping the 2 bombs was A. a game of show and tell so the whole world knew what we were capable of doing and B. to get the reconstruction of Japan entirely to ourselves instead of splitting it with Stalin like happened in Germany and Eastern Europe because the USSR was gearing up to invade Japan from the North. What they taught us in school was B.S. regarding the sheer loss of American servicemen's lives during a full scale invasion. The Allies had demanded an unconditional surrender and while the Emperor was willing to do so, he was all but hostage to the Imperial Army. After losing roughly 600,000 men( POW's and casualties) to the USSR in Manchuria, we needed them to be far more frightened of what we could do and it worked. It's a sad, sad tale no matter how you look at it.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: peter vlar

The emperor didnt want to give a UNCONDITIONAL SURRENDER. And his pride cost the lives of 7oo k people.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 10:50 PM
link   

I can understand some experiencing the remorse afterward. Still it is govs decision to wage war for what ever egregious reason they may chose. The people making bombs are victims of their gov programming, thinking they are helping and trying to make a living both here and there. We glorified the women working in the factories. All propaganda to reach the respective govs goals. And we were so gloriously good we continue to this day. Makes one wonder if we would be different had the bomb be dropped on us a couple times

Cynical I am. Sick of made up wars

Well it would had been fair IF we had been bombed too. We were all weaponized in WW2

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 10:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

There were no real angels in charge during the whole war. And much worse was done by conventional weapons in both theaters. It really was do whatever was necessary to win.

In this case, "Sometimes the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose." Is extremely fitting here.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 10:52 PM
link   

I think two were necessary. It was an unbelievable event. It ... happening twice ... made it unmistakeable.

If we could only understand the effect that had on Japanese mentality. You'd have to talk to the Chinese and Koreans about how 'they' were. Maybe some survivors of the Bataan Death March. The whole country had a messed up (fanatical) mentality and it took a totally radical event to wake 'em up and bring 'em back to reality.

And ... look at what they're sliding back towards thanks to Chinese provocation. -sigh

Like i said, my history knowledge is basic, but im assuming the Japanese were immensely proud people, so to be dealt such a blow (no pun) must have been shocking to them to say the least.

If we ever even THINK we can imagine what it must have been like for them to see those mushroom clouds rising over the cities, we will always be very wrong.

I hear what you are saying about the two being needed. BUT, is this your opinion, or is this the historic reason why the US decided to drop two? To make is unmistakable.

edit on 18-3-2016 by 3danimator2014 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Sick of made up wars

I'd imagine we all are.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 10:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: peter vlar

originally posted by: 3danimator2014

Neither were needed. The Emperor had offered to surrender twice and the main impetus for dropping the 2 bombs was A. a game of show and tell so the whole world knew what we were capable of doing and B. to get the reconstruction of Japan entirely to ourselves instead of splitting it with Stalin like happened in Germany and Eastern Europe because the USSR was gearing up to invade Japan from the North. What they taught us in school was B.S. regarding the sheer loss of American servicemen's lives during a full scale invasion. The Allies had demanded an unconditional surrender and while the Emperor was willing to do so, he was all but hostage to the Imperial Army. After losing roughly 600,000 men( POW's and casualties) to the USSR in Manchuria, we needed them to be far more frightened of what we could do and it worked. It's a sad, sad tale no matter how you look at it.

WHy would they still drop them if the emperor had agreed to the allies demands for unconditional surrender? I dont believe they were THAT vile that they would drop them anyway. Maybe im being naive?

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 10:58 PM
link   

I was standing outside one day and heard a boom that rattled the house once. something had exploded and there was this huge and i mena huge mushroom cloud out in the distance. Thought that was it. went in th e house turned on th e TV to see if this was the big one. then i thought.. wait a second.. woudnt i be a cinder right now if that had been a nuclear blast?

Anyway when i saw it initially i just dropped what i was doing and felt my stomach drop along with me for a few seconds. SO i can sympathize with what a japanese person felt seeing that huge cloud rising.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join