It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When Have You, Personally, Ever Been Persecuted or Oppressed by a Christian?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 10:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

It certainly wasn't very "Christian" of him to not help a 12 year old kid who needed to call his parents.

No one's arguing that it was. But it isn't persecution and it certainly wasn't "throat shoving". If anything, he wanted you to go away.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
When has a Christian violated your inalienable rights (oppression), personally, as a human being? Tell us a story.
See, that's not the definition of "oppression", that's a human rights violation.

Oppression:
noun
the exercise of authority or power in a burdensome, cruel, or unjust manner.
an act or instance of oppressing or subjecting to cruel or unjust impositions or restraints.
the state of being oppressed.
the feeling of being heavily burdened, mentally or physically, by troubles, adverse conditions, anxiety, etc.

Persecution:
noun
the act of persecuting.
the state of being persecuted.
a program or campaign to exterminate, drive away, or subjugate people based on their membership in a religious, ethnic, social, or racial group:

By these (actual) definitions, the anecdotes people have already brought here are examples of oppression and/or persecution. Only by arbitrarily moving the goalposts do you get the opportunity to dismiss their stories out of hand, and roll over and go to sleep with a smug smile on your face, your duty as a defender of Christ fulfilled.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:05 PM
link   

edit on 18-3-2016 by filthyphilanthropist because: Ugh... will search for a thread about how to properly code text

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:07 PM
link   
a reply to: AshOnMyTomatoes

Cool definitions.

How does Christianity violate your human rights today, personally?

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Cool definitions.

How does Christianity violate your human rights today, personally?
If this is, in fact, what the title of your thread should have been, I'd say to you:

Who said it did?

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Would it make you feel better if I changed it?

We all know exactly what is meant by the thread title (and explicated in the OP), but if playing semantics makes you feel smart, have at it.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Would it make you feel better if I changed it?

We all know exactly what is meant by the thread title (and explicated in the OP), but if playing semantics makes you feel smart, have at it.
I'm not the one playing with semantics. Persecution, oppression, and human rights violations are not interchangeable terms. However, you have used them as such throughout this thread, as people have brought you examples of oppression and persecution and you have dismissed them.

If the premise of your thread is "how are Christians violating human rights" I'll ask you again, who said they were?

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:15 PM
link   
The Christian school I went to lied to kids about basic subjects like history and etymology. You can say that's not oppression but it seems like your goal posts are in the region of attacking hyperbole, which is a little disingenuous.

If your question is "has a Christian ever put me in shackles and made me work in in a crucifix mine" or something, then obviously not. If your question is "have Christians ever put their faith above their duty to educate kids" or "have Christians ever acted like nasty hypocrites" or even "have Christian subcults like Mormonism done their level best to destroy families and relationships in the name of their faith" then yes to all three.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Why are you asking the question when you know you're not going to accept the answers? Pretty petty of you if you ask me.

When have you ever been persecuted by an atheist or any other religious group going by your own parameters? I would guess never. If so, share your story. I would make a thread on it but I doubt you would participate since it would show your hypocrisy for what it is.

It's obvious that this is a troll thread, you never intended to accept anyone's answers to your question.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: filthyphilanthropist

You're playing his (her?) "game" alright. Otherwise, you wouldn't be posting anything in this thread.

You're partially right, so I'll take the partial in stride. You're also wrong in that you're telling me by posting anything in this thread and confronting the OP's hypocrisy is playing the same game. No, it isn't.

Why won't you list those instances? NthOther hasn't belittled others for expressing their personal experiences. I'm sure he'd respond to yours in a fair manner like he did with annee earlier.

Because the OP has already set the parameters. Anything he/she deems is outside those parameters isn't a legitimate complaint in his/her estimation. (Read the OP)

It's a legitimate question that can be used to communicate and understand each other's perceived plights in an effort to resolve our grievances against one another in a diplomatic fashion. There's no reason to be indignant.

It's only a legitimate question when one has "ears to hear", as well as an open heart and mind. The OP has none of the three from what I have seen in this thread.

I get it. The OP is butthurt because he/she has been called on the carpet for crying persecution against Christians, when in reality, the so-called persecution was brought on by Christians themselves, because most of them have little respect for anyone elses right to believe differently than they do.
edit on 3/18/2016 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

It's obvious that this is a troll thread, you never intended to accept anyone's answers to your question.

Few people have answered the question.

Few people can answer the question.

That's the point. Call it what you will.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

I get it. The OP is butthurt because he/she has been called on the carpet for crying persecution against Christians, when in reality, the so-called persecution was brought on by Christians themselves, because most of them have little respect for anyone elses right to believe differently than they do.

When did I say anything about Christians being persecuted?

This thread is about the persecution going the other way or, rather, the lack thereof.

Way to completely misrepresent everything I've said.

edit on 3/18/16 by NthOther because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:23 PM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

There have been several answers to your question, you just refuse to accept them. Are you trying to imply that Christians never persecute anyone and never have? It seems as though that's what you're trying to prove here.

How have you been persecuted by other religious groups within the parameters you have set in this thread? None? If so, what is your point?

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Few people have answered the question.

Few people can answer the question.

That's the point. Call it what you will.
Because the question itself is bull#. Its premised on a hypothetical "they" asking a hypothetical question that no one has asked.

Two things are happening in this thread: 1. Neither your hypothetical "they" that was suggested by your thread title, nor anyone else contributing to the thread, have ever suggested Christians are human rights violators. And 2. people are presenting examples of oppression (since it was the word you used) and you are pretending that you don't understand the difference between oppression and human rights violations when you dismiss their examples offhandedly.

Have some academic honesty.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:31 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

My point is that the very same people who complain about "throat shoving" and Christian oppression can't provide any examples of it in their own lives.

They use being offended as their only excuse to cry persecution, because they haven't got anything better. They don't have any experiences of their rights being violated, so they derail the discussion any way they can.

The ones who have shared their legitimate negative experiences I've left alone, if you haven't noticed.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:31 PM
link   
how about the churches all across the country teaching their women and girls that they are to be submissive and obedient to their husbands? ya know those lovely wedding vows that include the words "love, honor, OBEY"?
? ??? ???????
some baptist ministers will teach that the wife shouldn't work, unless her husband wants her to...
some employers won't hire women, for the same reason.
some in the church can be heard to wisper such words as "well, if he doesn't want her to be at church, then she shouldn't be at church"..
heck, I even ran into one religious follower on a forum thread for abused women, there was one women on that board that was married and had left her husband, and well, because she didn't want her kids living in the car with her, well, she left the kids with him. come to find out, well, the husband turned around and raped his daughter... and this guy was telling her that it was her fault, that he wouldn't have had to rape the daughter if she had made herself available.

I could give you my own personal stories but well, my husband recently passed away and once the brainwashing of the church was cleared out of our lives and we found a better equalibrium between us, we had a decent relationship between us, so no, I won't dishonor him, sorry.

what about all those catholic hospitals out there that are refusing to provide decent medical care to women? refusing to grant a women a tubal litagation when she her baby is delivered by c-section.... even when the women has a brain tumor, or refusing to induce labor when a women is gonna miscarry anyways till the fetal heartbeat stops, even when there's reason to believe that there's an infection present?

Those directives are set by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, which consider abortion and sterilization “intrinsically evil.” Catholic hospitals, which constitute more than 12 percent of hospitals in the U.S., have applied those rules to women in life-threatening circumstances.

One of those women is Jessica Mann, whose Michigan Catholic hospital refused to perform a tubal ligation despite recommendations from her doctors. Mann has a dangerous brain tumor, and getting pregnant again could pose serious health threats. In September, ACLU of Michigan sent a letter to the hospital urging them to reconsider the refusal. The hospital stood by their decision, citing the Ethical and Religious Directives for Catholic Health Care Facilities.

“Rejecting us seems arbitrary and cruel,” Mann’s husband wrote in an essay published on Refinery 29.

In December 2013, ACLU sued the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops on behalf on Tamesha Means, whose water broke when she was 18 weeks pregnant. Instead of terminating the pregnancy and safely completing the miscarriage, Means said the Catholic hospital gave her false hope that the fetus could survive. After getting sent home twice, enduring “excruciating pain,” and developing an infection, Means finally miscarried the fetus in a painful, prolonged delivery, according to the lawsuit. That case is currently on appeal.

www.slate.com...

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:32 PM
link   

My ex husband did some of the above...reason he is my ex

The church threatened me with life in a burning hell if I didn't believe.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar

ya know those lovely wedding vows that include the words "love, honor, OBEY"?

But you're there by choice, right?

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:38 PM
link   

a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

My point is that the very same people who complain about "throat shoving" and Christian oppression can't provide any examples of it in their own lives.

They use being offended as their only excuse to cry persecution, because they haven't got anything better. They don't have any experiences of their rights being violated, so they derail the discussion any way they can.

The ones who have shared their legitimate negative experiences I've left alone, if you haven't noticed.
You've used interchangeably the three terms I mentioned in a single post. Well done.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:39 PM
link   

The people you left alone provided examples though, yet you say no one has answered the question? That doesn't make any sense. You're being intellectually dishonest.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join