It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When Have You, Personally, Ever Been Persecuted or Oppressed by a Christian?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 08:41 PM
link   
We hear a lot of talk about beliefs being “shoved down our throats”, especially in the Atheist’s objection to Christian cultural influence. But when have any of you, personally, actually been persecuted by a Christian? I’m sure it must happen (right?), so I’d like to hear your personal stories.

Now, to clarify what I mean by “persecution” and “oppression”, I’ll phrase my original question in several different ways:

When has a Christian ever denied you, personally, your inalienable rights (if you believe, or can at least dig, that sort of thing)?

When has a Christian ever prevented you, personally, from civic participation (voting and the like)?

When has a Christian ever prevented you, personally, from peaceably assembling or speaking publicly?

When has a Christian ever forced you, personally (and as an adult), to go to church (or anywhere, for that matter)?

When has a Christian ever extorted you, personally, for your money?

When has a Christian ever forced you, personally, out of your home so they could quarter missionaries there (or for any reason)?

When has a Christian ever lined up your family (yours, personally) and gave them a convert-or-die ultimatum?

The list could go on and on (and if you have other examples, by all means share them), but hopefully from this you can see that my conceptions of persecution and oppression run much deeper than someone's accessibility to a fancy f# wedding cake with two dudes on it. That is not oppression. That is not persecution.

It should also be fairly obvious that I’m not talking about acts committed by people hundreds, or even many decades ago—I’m talking about you, personally. In your life.

When has it happened to YOU, personally?

I suspect that--for the vast and increasing majority who are fond of regurgitating humanist talking points and Atheist proselytization--none of these things (or those like it) have ever happened to you, personally.

And being offended doesn’t count. If you think being offended is a form of oppression, you will never have any chance of being successful in life.
But I digress. Does anyone have any personal stories of how this vast Christian social conspiracy is being “shoved down your throat”, and is violating your rights as a human being?

Inquiring minds want to know…

+19 more 
posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Yea more victim threads, thats what we really need, priest still to this day get away with raping boys, the day you guys act out against the catholic church is the day i will stop having issues with so called christians.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 08:50 PM
link   
In third grade my dad was teaching at ecu so we lived in a more "country" area I was forced to say the pledge of allegiance including the word god..
I hated that so much.

That's about all I got.
I don't come across many Christians actually. Live in super hippy music scene town.. And to be honest they are the least oppressive people on the planet lol. So I rank Christians as worse than hippies on freedom scale. But no I've never been oppressed except by cops/school/government.

The above poster has a very strong point.

a reply to: NthOther

edit on 18-3-2016 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 08:51 PM
link   
i wouldn't call it persecution per se, but having that crap taught 'at' me all through school was fairly oppressive.

+5 more 
posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

My mother did all of the above.

Christians can influence local and federal laws that impinge on the rights of others. All three major religions, by their nature, control people.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: dukeofjive696969

Were you, personally, raped by a Catholic priest?

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: RoScoLaz4

Who sent you to that school?

Wouldn't that be your parents forcing the ideology on you? Shouldn't you take that up with your parents, and not the religion?

ETA: I should've been clearer in specifying that my question applies to adults who are free to choose for themselves. Parents deny the "rights" of their children all the time, and for myriad reasons.

Take it up with them. Don't hate everyone else who might have a picture of Jesus on their wall.
edit on 3/18/16 by NthOther because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 08:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther

Were you, personally, raped by a Catholic priest?

This is not the place or the time for me to tell you if i got raped by a priest.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Oppressed?

By a Christian? Nope. Not ever.

Come to think on it...

Nor by Muslims. Or Buddhists. Or Hindus. Sihks. Jews. Huh...

Seems I'm fairly unoppressed.

Saying the Pledge of Allegiance is oppression? Some of you have fairly low standards for what constitutes oppression...

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Considering that this is a thread that repeatedly, to the point of exasperation, stressed personal experience...

...maybe you shouldn't have brought it up if you don't feel comfortable talking about it?

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   

When Have You, Personally, Ever Been Persecuted or Oppressed by a Christian?

Not by 'a' Xtian, but by MANY!
Xtians have been persecutors and murderers and thieves throughout their history!
Yes, I have had my fair share of personal experience!
And history stands for the global experiences!

Your "cherry-picked strawmen" are completely (Faithlessly) self-serving and irrelevant!

So, in answer to your question;
YES!
What now?
More denial?

Another question that I just answered seems quite relevent;
Paraphrased; "What is so offensive when someone shares their faith?"

To which I responded;

It is clear that you do not know the difference between 'beliefs', and 'Faith'.
Perhaps I can help alleviate your confusion (if not your ego);

'Beliefs' are a pathologically symptomatic infection of the imagination, the ego! Vanity! Pride (the only 'sin')!
The most commonly observable and consistent 'symptoms' are the constant need to 'defend' (Egos R Us), to 'validate/feed' and to 'propagate' (spread the infection)!
There are many symptoms, but just those three are particularly resented because they must be performed in 'other people's faces'!
One 'deliberately' sallies forth to spread his 'beliefs' (infect) to each and every person not already infected with your particular strain!
And the 'believers' relentlessly persecute others (gays, atheists...), and that, too, seems to be resented by the persecuted!
And any healthy person!

'Faith', on the other hand, is an unconditional Virtue of unconditional Love!

The 'symptoms' of unconditional Love are;

True, unconditional Love is ALWAYS recognized by It's unconditional Virtues; Compassion, Empathy, Sympathy, Gratitude, Humility, Charity (charity is never taking more than your share of anything, ever!), Honesty, Happiness, Faith...
ALWAYS!

This is NEVER resented, but it is as rare as hen's teeth in Xtiandom!

Sharing the Faith is any act of unconditional Love!
Proselytizing, and 'Jesus Loves you-ing' all over the place is empty words coming from "whited sepulchers", vain tinkling of brass...
All vanity and ego!

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: namelesss

But when has it happened to YOU?

Did you read the OP?

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Considering that this is a thread that repeatedly, to the point of exasperation, stressed personal experience...

...maybe you shouldn't have brought it up if you don't feel comfortable talking about it?

Im sorry, if i say yes or no to the question, does not change the fact that priest still in 2015 get away whith raping kids, and thats the church you feel is behing attacked, poor you, do you need a safe place, or maybe you need to grow tougher skin.

Nice fail by the way
edit on 18-3-2016 by dukeofjive696969 because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-3-2016 by dukeofjive696969 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 09:06 PM
link   
The bible thumping neighbors called the cops and shut down my swingers party. I asked the cops why they were there, and they told me because the neighbors called. I asked noise complaint, and they told me swingers party. No arrests, the cops were pretty decent, only caught one of the women naked, the party had only been going on for 30 minutes.

ETA: You gotta love small town America
edit on 3/18/2016 by BubbaJoe because: I needed to

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 09:06 PM
link   

a reply to: namelesss

But when has it happened to YOU?

Did you read the OP?

Oh i get it, its not ok to hate the catholic church cause we didint get affected in person.

More fail

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 09:07 PM
link   

So none of it has ever happened to you. Thank you for confirming my suspicion.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I've had a lot of conservatives, mostly christians, be asses to me because I'm not conservative, so I'd say that counts.
And my parents were pretty oppressive to me growing up mostly because they were religious.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 09:08 PM
link   

So none of it has ever happened to you. Thank you for confirming my suspicion.

Nice to know your pro pedophile, at least your honest enough to say it.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: RoScoLaz4
i wouldn't call it persecution per se, but having that crap taught 'at' me all through school was fairly oppressive.
What specifically was taught to you all through school, and what kind of school did you attend?

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

Again, being offended is not oppression. Dealing with assholes is not persecution. That's life in a society comprised of people with individual differences.

How is it being "shoved down your throat"? Personally.
edit on 3/18/16 by NthOther because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join