It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When Have You, Personally, Ever Been Persecuted or Oppressed by a Christian?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:40 PM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

When did I say anything about Christians being persecuted?

You didn't have to.

This thread is about the persecution going the other way or, rather, the lack thereof.

You lack the ability to comprehend it from any perspective other than your own. You lack empathy for anyone outside your religion.

Way to completely misrepresent everything I've said.

I disagree.
edit on 3/18/2016 by Klassified because: grammar

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:41 PM
link   
a reply to: AshOnMyTomatoes

You know exactly what I'm talking about. But, as I said before, if nitpicking my verbiage makes you feel superior (especially so everyone can see it), knock yourself out.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

You lack empathy for anyone outside your religion.

That's a neat trick, considering I don't have one.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther

You know exactly what I'm talking about. But, as I said before, if nitpicking my verbiage makes you feel superior (especially so everyone can see it), knock yourself out.
Yes, I do know exactly what you're talking about.

For the third and final time:

WHO SAYS CHRISTIANS ARE HUMAN RIGHTS VIOLATORS IN THE FIRST PLACE?

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

You lack empathy for anyone outside your religion.

That's a neat trick, considering I don't have one.

Yes, I've noticed a few people on ATS that swear they aren't Christian, yet defend it vehemently. Me thinks they protest too much. But suit yourself, I can re-word it easy enough. You lack empathy for anyone outside of your beliefs.
edit on 3/18/2016 by Klassified because: eta

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:48 PM
link   

You're attempting to twist the thread into meaning something it doesn't.

So, do you have any personal experience you'd like to convey?

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:50 PM
link   

I guess that might depend on how much the basic tenets of the christian religion has been implanted into your psyche!!!
in my opinion, looking at history, reading the bible through quite a few times seeking an answer, well...
it seems to me that although it has been watered down considerably in the past 50 years of so, the christian religion still attempts to convince women to accept beliefs that put them into a secondary role and allow what I would call persecution and an infringement of the basic human rights. I also think that many of the things that the christian right are trying to do have the motive to align the legal system back to the point where it enforces this position again.

and by the way, one of those basic rights is the right to worship you god as you deem as being right... your religion seems to place man between God and women... places the man as the high preist of the household. read the bible, see for yourself. the high priest in isreal was the only one allowed to approach god, and it was him who relayed the message to the people... read the bible and tell me that this isn't what it teaches for women, they aren't to speak in church, but rather ask their husband's at home for the explanation, ect.

edit on 18-3-2016 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:55 PM
link   

You're attempting to twist the thread into meaning something it doesn't.

So, do you have any personal experience you'd like to convey?
Sigh.

There's an unstated phrase missing from your thread title. Everyone, including you, knows what the phrase is. The full thread title should be "I'm always hearing about so-called rights violations (if we go by your definitions) from Christians, so let me ask: When Have You, Personally, Ever Been Persecuted or Oppressed (had your rights violated) by a Christian?"

This can be verified by your later stating that you have concluded that it must not happen that often, after all.

Now answer my question.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:56 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

it seems to me that although it has been watered down considerably in the past 50 years of so, the christian religion still attempts to convince women to accept beliefs that put them into a secondary role and allow what I would call persecution and an infringement of the basic human rights.

The core tenets of biblical Christianity are misogynistic. The early church fathers held great contempt for women. It's in their writings, and is still being perpetuated today. It's just more subtle.

I also think that many of the things that the christian right are trying to do have the motive to align the legal system back to the point where it enforces this position again.

Yes. Absolutely. Dominionists.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Lol. When you can the answer the question I posed in my thread, I'll consider answering your question.

And you know exactly what I'm talking about. Don't mince words. Tell me a story.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I have no issue with any religion until they use it to justify hate, killing...etc.

That goes for Muslims, Christians, or any religion.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Lol. When you can the answer the question I posed in my thread, I'll consider answering your question.

And you know exactly what I'm talking about. Don't mince words. Tell me a story.
OK here's one for ya: the Christian tenet of "man as master of the earth" is often used as an excuse by good ol' boy Christian corporatists to rape and plunder the natural world. This violates my human rights in that it robs me and my progeny of a clean, whole, and beautiful world in perpetuity.
edit on 19-3-2016 by AshOnMyTomatoes because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Looking at many of the posts here and wonder if you are so invested in your belief that you are unable to say maybe you were in error or perhaps weren't aware of the many ways people can be persecuted by a single christian or mulitple christians...as in the Westboro Church or other groups.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 12:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

You're partially right, so I'll take the partial in stride. You're also wrong in that you're telling me by posting anything in this thread and confronting the OP's hypocrisy is playing the same game. No, it isn't.

You're partially correct too. Confronting what you the OP's "hypocrisy" isn't necessarily the same game, but anything past that first post confronting him is playing his game in his thread. because...

Because the OP has already set the parameters. Anything he/she deems is outside those parameters isn't a legitimate complaint in his/her estimation. (Read the OP)

Clearly you missed the nuances in his original post. He's asking for your experiences of oppression in more of a tyrannical or authoritarian-like context. He tried to communicate it that way because that's clearly what comes to mind for him when he thinks oppression. It seems reasonable to dismiss posts that don't fit within those parameters. Still, you won't cooperate and instead instigate useless dissent, and he's bringing out that unsavory characteristic in you.

It's only a legitimate question when one has "ears to hear", as well as an open heart and mind.

Mostly agreed.

I get it. The OP is butthurt because he/she has been called on the carpet for crying persecution against Christians

He didn't cry persecution against Christians in his OP. Just because you thought it doesn't make it so. (read the OP).

when in reality, the so-called persecution was brought on by Christians themselves, because most of them have little respect for anyone elses right to believe differently than they do.

What was all that self-righteousness about not stooping?

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 12:08 AM
link   

The core tenets of biblical Christianity are misogynistic. The early church fathers held great contempt for women. It's in their writings.

That's untrue.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 12:09 AM
link   
a reply to: liveandlearn

I'm not seeing many personal examples. Again, "personal" is the key term here.

Maybe we're not reading the same thread.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 12:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: filthyphilanthropist

The core tenets of biblical Christianity are misogynistic. The early church fathers held great contempt for women. It's in their writings.

That's untrue.

"Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives;"

— Peter 3:1 Bible-icon.png

"Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church."

— 1 Corinthians 14:34-35 Bible-icon.png

"For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man."

— 1 Corinthians 11:7 Bible-icon.png

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 12:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: liveandlearn

Looking at many of the posts here and wonder if you are so invested in your belief that you are unable to say maybe you were in error or perhaps weren't aware of the many ways people can be persecuted by a single christian or mulitple christians...as in the Westboro Church or other groups.
One of the Westboro Church's biggest, most widespread critics thus far have been Christians.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 12:12 AM
link   
a reply to: filthyphilanthropist

really?? explain this...
show me in bible verses where it gives women the same right of self determination as it does men... please remember to ensure that what you write coincides with historical facts.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 12:12 AM
link   

What Christian are you talking about, who thinks it's ok to pillage the world?

That would be the Straw Christian, methinks.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join