It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When Have You, Personally, Ever Been Persecuted or Oppressed by a Christian?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: filthyphilanthropist
a reply to: Klassified

The core tenets of biblical Christianity are misogynistic. The early church fathers held great contempt for women. It's in their writings.

That's untrue.

I disagree. Women in Christianity do not hold equal status with men. They are "under authority" their whole lives. They were bought and sold like property in the old days, and called whores for even daring to express their autonomy and/or sexuality. Women are second class members of the Christian cult, and have always been so. The bible makes it very clear, as does Tertullian and others.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 08:27 AM
link   
When you are raised in a strict Christian household when you hit your teenage years and begin exploring the world it can certainly appear that you are being oppressed by religion. "You won't smoke that while you live under our roof!" or "you won't be bringing girls in to your room" sure sound like oppression at that age. 40 years later I love them for all they did and tried to keep me from doing but it was the 1970's and nearly ever kid my age was out of control taking drugs and drinking. It was just a phase that I had to go through I suppose.

Now, 3 of our sons are raising young ones of their own and 2 out of 3 are Christians and taking their children to church. Their kids are amazingly well-behaved and polite while the 3rd - well, he's become a bit of a spoiled brat (ok, not a bit - a full blown brat). Kids need limits. It's part of good parenting in this day and age. If that's oppression by the church I'm all for it; it gets good results with no damage done. We fear for the future of that 3rd grandchild whose parents love him but don't seem to know how to take charge of him.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

Yes but it did not end well for the Christian, after all snitches get stitches.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 08:33 AM
link   

My parents were Christian and there was no doubt my father was the head of the house. A ship cannot have 2 captains and I agree someone has to have the final say on things. They made it work because my Dad loved my Mom so much he was tuned in to her emotionally and would adjust his decisions according to her emotional responses. They made marriage work the way it was supposed to work, yes my Dad was the authority figure in charge but he took my mother's wishes in to account in every decision he made. I have never seen deeper love between a couple and their marriage lasted 59 years until my Dad passed away.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther

originally posted by: ozb1777

... ''Christians '' forcing their bigoted notions onto others ...

Like who? Who are Christians forcing to do/believe (or not do/believe) something? Which Christians are doing it? How are they forcing them?

Most importantly, have you experienced this coercion yourself?

I noticed, as others did I'm sure, that you completely ignored Windword's post here. Not forceful enough for you? Doesn't fit within your parameters?

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I'm a little confused by your phrase "shoved down our throats". I hear that phrase often from homophobes. They say "all this gay and transgender stuff is being shoved down our throats." Do they mean they are being persecuted and oppressed? Or do they mean they don't like seeing homosexuality on TV, movies and in public? I think it's the latter, don't you?

So maybe when you hear someone say that Christianity is being "shoved down our throats", what that person means is, all the stuff they have to see and hear regarding war on Christmas, gays shouldn't be allowed to marry each other, transgenders shouldn't be allowed to use the restroom of their identified gender, evolution is wrong/creation is right, America was founded on Christianity, Courthouses should have the ten commandments on a plaque/statue, etc., etc., etc.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals

My parents were Christian and there was no doubt my father was the head of the house. A ship cannot have 2 captains and I agree someone has to have the final say on things. They made it work because my Dad loved my Mom so much he was tuned in to her emotionally and would adjust his decisions according to her emotional responses. They made marriage work the way it was supposed to work, yes my Dad was the authority figure in charge but he took my mother's wishes in to account in every decision he made. I have never seen deeper love between a couple and their marriage lasted 59 years until my Dad passed away.

I'm glad it worked for your parents, AKA. I mean that sincerely. Unfortunately, it doesn't work out so well for most. I personally know more than one woman who stayed in their abusive marriage to a minister because it was the Christian thing to do. In one of those cases, the husband had been molesting his daughter for 2 years, and preaching in the pulpit on Sundays and Wednesdays. As a deacon in the church, and also a counselor, the horror stories I heard were astonishing at times. For years, I asked myself how so many people of my faith could be victims and/or victimizers. It wasn't until many years later, that I realized it isn't so much about what individual Christians do. It's about what Christianity itself is. Those things can't help but be rampant in the church.

But back to your point. If two people agree that one is the head of the household, that's great. That's their personal choice, and no one elses business. For the record, neither of my parents were head of household. They both were, and they learned to work together. They were married until she passed away after 48 years of marriage.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 09:18 AM
link   
As a Christian , not a very good one but I am,

When I was a child and through most my adult life I went to church every time the doors were opened, I sometimes would rather have stayed home, but I wouldn't change it for the world,

I would not have know what persecution was when I was young, It was a pretty normal place that taught love, They did believe in hell, but so do Buddhist, and most faiths, as an adult I no long believe in hell, I look at the Bible differently, and have a deeper understanding, of it.

I have been to many churches, from Pentecostal to Jehovah witness, people are just people, and the majority just feel they are saving a soul.

The world has changed, so much in my 66 years, and in my eyes not for the better, it might be a better place if we were sincerely praying for each other instead of arguing,

Can anyone think of anything positive that came from going to church?

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I'm not even going to read every post - it seems nearly everyone in opposition to the op is basically crying

"but once I heard a priest story! So I'm offended! "

I actually think such priests deserve the death sentence, but you're not even addressing the op.

When have you ever actually been denied any rights?

When did you lose your freedoms due to someone's religious views?

" under God" is the best argument in the first two pages, and is hardly an infringement of rights, unless it said "under the Christian God, elohim, as depicted in the Bible, father of Jesus's Christ, redeemer of man,..... With liberty and justice for all"

God can mean whatever you want it to mean. You can either be offended by the way others use it, or use it how you want to yourself. You can even deem yourself God, I won't be offended.

Anyway, good question op. I'll have to read a bit more later to see if anyone has any real answers or more bickering about things they once kinda heard of in a news story.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Why shouldn't court houses have ten commandment plaque? It's not a state sponsored religion, it's not as if it's actually impacting laws, it's freedom of expression, speech, etc. Coins maybe shouldn't have it, since it's actually across the whole nation.

But individual buildings should have freedom of decoration so long as nothing is violent, prejudice etc.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: deadlyhope
a reply to: kaylaluv

Why shouldn't court houses have ten commandment plaque? It's not a state sponsored religion, it's not as if it's actually impacting laws, it's freedom of expression, speech, etc. Coins maybe shouldn't have it, since it's actually across the whole nation.

But individual buildings should have freedom of decoration so long as nothing is violent, prejudice etc.

Because...First amendment. I wouldn't want any other religious plaque on public buildings either.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

That's partially correct but mostly not. Women are never instructed to view men as gods, and they are never required to obey their husbands if their husbands demand they sin against God.

Even in 1 Peter 2 it reveals the purpose behind why wives are expected to submit to their husbands, but men are instructed to submit to all their authority just the same. You make it sound like misogyny when in fact it is encouraging women to endure and spiritually persevere through misogyny.

Jesus submitted to even His own crucifixion. Men and women ought submit even to their oppressors. In doing so they have favor with God.

You make it out to be misogynistic, but it isn't at all.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhope

Because when you have a Christian message in a government building, it appears as though the state is favoring that religion over others. Separation of church and state is pretty important to some of us. Now, if you were to put up a plaque of something from ALL other religions too (including atheism), then you are not as a government entity, favoring any one religion - that would be okay.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 09:59 AM
link   
If I think about persecution by faith , then we all somehow are persecuted by religion or God or any other higher being.

I've got the feeling we all have to endure all wars and mistreatment , we mankind inflict on a daily basis.

It's how we define this , but as many religions describe after we die we will find redemption of our mistakes we made in our lives.

We never be able to bring back water to the sea to keep our feet dry from spilling our own misbehavior in many ways..

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: JohnFisher

Jesus submitted to even His own crucifixion. Men and women ought submit even to their oppressors. In doing so they have favor with God.

Said every southern slave owner......

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

originally posted by: filthyphilanthropist

The core tenets of biblical Christianity are misogynistic. The early church fathers held great contempt for women. It's in their writings.

That's untrue.

I disagree. Women in Christianity do not hold equal status with men. They are "under authority" their whole lives. They were bought and sold like property in the old days, and called whores for even daring to express their autonomy and/or sexuality. Women are second class members of the Christian cult, and have always been so. The bible makes it very clear, as does Tertullian and others.
Men are also "under authority" their whole lives. Men were also bought and sold like property in the old days, and people had plenty nasty things to call them for various reasons. Women are equal coheirs of the gift of life and deeply loved and cherished by their male counterparts if their male counterparts study scripture. Jesus was an original woman's advocate, " let he who is without sin cast the first stone [against this woman for her adultery]. It was Jesus who was kind to the woman at the well... The promiscuous woman whom everyone else shunned and ostracized.

The actions of people who want to cherry-pick and twist scripture to meet their own misogynistic desires (historical treatment of women) doesn't change the making behind the scriptures. It simply means that they, like the Westboro Baptist Church of today, have an unchristian agenda.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Religious instructions every weds afternoon from 1963-1968.

I was not given the choice. Catholic children get this. They're baptised at birth . First choice that is not their own. Start planning for heaven at six with first holy communion and at ten confirm what your parents chose for them at birth.
The sacrament of marriage. Your not really married until you pledge before God.
Confession. The first step on the road to low self esteem. I suck oh Lord please tell me my punishment so I can feel clean.

I think those things are forced on the child and the rest is persecution of adherents.
edit on 3192016 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: BubbaJoe

When they ask me if I've found Jesus I exclaim incredulously "You lost him again?"

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: JohnFisher
You just can't bring yourselves to let your women walk beside you. Her status is a bit higher than your pet, but she still has to walk a step behind you. If you can't read your past two posts and see what's wrong with them, I have no words left to explain it to you. Christianity can warp and pervert scripture all it wants to, but the message is still there. Women are inferior...
1Timothy 2
11 A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. 12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet. 13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve. 14 And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner. 15 But women will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety.
1Cor 11
8 For man is not from woman, but woman from man. 9 Nor was man created for the woman, but woman for the man. 10 For this reason the woman ought to have a symbol of authority on her head, because of the angels.

Sorry ladies, you're a pet, a slave. You were created to be subservient, and you couldn't even accomplish that task. You failed miserably in the garden.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Wow. nuff said.
edit on 3192016 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join