It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Bush Names Chertoff for Homeland Security

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 08:47 AM
link   
President Bush has named Michael Chertoff for the Secretary of Homeland Security after Bernard Kerik, former New York City Police Commissioner withdrew his nomination. Chertoff previously headed the Justice Department's criminal division. He has previously been involved in the prosecution of Zacarias Moussaoui.

www.msnbc.msn.com
WASHINGTON - President Bush has selected federal appeals court judge Michael Chertoff to be the new secretary of Homeland Security, officials said Tuesday.

The official announcement is scheduled for 10:00 a.m. ET.

Former New York City police commissioner Bernard Kerik, the president's initial pick, withdrew last month because of an immigration problem with a housekeeper-nanny.

Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge in early December announced his resignation, saying he intended to leave by Feb. 1.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Chertoff worked extensively with terrorism issues while he served as head of the Criminal division of the Justice Department. He has served as a prosecutor in both Newark and Manhattan, and was a special counsel for the Whitewater Committee.

His experience seems to suggest that he would make an excellent Secretary of Homeland Security, if that position was charged with prosecuting terrorist, and dealing with them in a court of law. However, the law won't make people safe from those that are not concerned with it.

Related links
www.foxnews.com

[edit on 16-1-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Let see this man, for what I have read on him.

But now I have a new gremlin to watch, someone who is as intent on undermining the law and Constitution as Ashcroft. I am referring to the man behind the criminal prosecution of terrorists, Michael Chertoff. Chertoff, former chief of the Justice Department's criminal division, and a scary looking guy if ever there was one, has been elevated to the level of Court of Appeals judge--the 3rd Circuit Court of Appeals, whose jurisdiction includes Delaware, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania. What's so scary about Michael? Well, besides having no judicial experience and being a right-ring radical who does not believe in the Constitution and wants to rewrite federal law and rules of procedure on an ad hoc, case by case basis, as it suits him, nothing I guess.

By Elaine Cassel civil rights writer and lawyer.

It seems that this new apointee is not better than Afshcrof and have not regard for the constitution either, so as we can see another one for the regime of civil rights banning and rewriting of laws.

Good job Mr. President

www.counterpunch.org...

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Good find Marg!

You have to wonder why this man wasn't selected for Attorney General instead.
I really wonder why Bush's selection for DHS wasn't someone more familar with the security aspect of the job? I just don't think that a man who's experience is in prosecution is going to be very effective. Prosecution is an after the fact type thing. What we need is a man who knows security.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I think what Bush wants is somebody that will not be afraid to change some rules as how to go around fighting terror.

He wants men around that will back him up when laws and rules will be changed and enforced.

That is what he wants. NWO

(thanks)

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Some additional information on Michael Chertoff's career. The following is an excerpt of the timeline of his career. Th full timeline can be found here

Reuters
Chertoff served as assistant attorney general for the criminal division at the Department of Justice from 2001 to 2003. There, he helped formulate the Justice Department's anti-terror response after the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks.

Some of the administration's most controversial tactics were developed and employed during this time period, including the Justice Department's resistance to making public the list of those who have been detained in connection with terrorism investigations.

* Before that, Chertoff worked at the U.S. Attorney's Office in New York, and in 1990, he was appointed U.S. attorney for the District of New Jersey by Bush's father, then-President Bush.

None of his background screams security expert to me. So why would a lawyer be named head of the Department of Homeland Security?

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Payoff for previous services rendered to political chums?

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I think Bush was getting a bit desperate - I just heard on the BBC World service that 13 (count'em) people turned the job down...they didn't mention names though.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I think that his views about the law can be seen when the case of the prosecution of Zacarias Moussaoui, he didn't do it, itself but one of his workers did.

He appealed to the 4 th circuit court against the rights of Moussaoui, and the stand he took on violating the 6 th amendment, make him a prime candidate for the type of men Bush wants to be surrounded by.

We need to keep an eye on this Chertoff because he will look for more prosecution with the "tag of war on terror" he is not very friendly to the constitution, and he probably will go alone with any changes to our rights.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 05:10 PM
link   
this guy loooked a lil suspicious to me....just a lil!!!!!! -shows with hands-

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by topsecretombomb
this guy loooked a lil suspicious to me....just a lil!!!!!! -shows with hands-

Actually to me he looks like somebody from the night of the living death

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Any Russian speakers in here? Does Chertoff actually translate to "Son of the Devil"?

top topics

join