It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could Atlantis Have Been A Mobile City?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Some key details have led me to a theory of what happened to the lost city. In Plato's dialogues he says that the city was laid out in a circle, which struck him as odd. He stated in one of these dialogues that "I have never seen anything like what I saw in that city, the libraries had books and scrolls with knowledge of the galaxy, the technology was greater than that of anything that was readily available in Greece." He even makes note of the intricate buildings and waterways as well as mention of great statues that stood high enough to touch the heavens. My theory is that Atlantis, wasn't destroyed or lost, it moved! As you read this you may be thinking: "This guy is loony, Atlantis was an island, islands don't move!" My point being that Atlantis was possibly an extra terrestrial spaceship. Think about it, to this day not a single statue, artifact, or Atlantian bone has been found. How can an entire city just vanish without a trace? How is it that there isn't a single book or scroll left? It's because either Plato was delirious (which is impossible) or because the city had to 'take off'. You be the judge.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: AnAlien0men
How can an entire city just vanish without a trace?

Major events, catastrophic geological changes and the like.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Some key details have led me to a theory of what happened to the lost city. In Plato's dialogues he says that the city was laid out in a circle, which struck him as odd. He stated in one of these dialogues that "I have never seen anything like what I saw in that city, the libraries had books and scrolls with knowledge of the galaxy, the technology was greater than that of anything that was readily available in Greece." He even makes note of the intricate buildings and waterways as well as mention of great statues that stood high enough to touch the heavens. My theory is that Atlantis, wasn't destroyed or lost, it moved! As you read this you may be thinking: "This guy is loony, Atlantis was an island, islands don't move!" My point being that Atlantis was possibly an extra terrestrial spaceship. Think about it, to this day not a single statue, artifact, or Atlantian bone has been found. How can an entire city just vanish without a trace? How is it that there isn't a single book or scroll left? It's because either Plato was delirious (which is impossible) or because the city had to 'take off'. You be the judge.

Of course anything is possible but I don't think so. Unless are you saying this was a mobile city but even Plato did not know it was mobile? Otherwise it wouldn't have been hard to depict in writing that this was a "spaceship" or whatever you want to call it. The most reasonable theory is that it's buried under water.

I don't find it unreasonable for other places to have better stuff. I mean look at Dubai and all the unique items there. Even China and Japan have incredible technology that I'm sure would drop my jaw if I were to see it in person.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: HawkeyeNation

Yeah just what i was thinking, that would be such a awesome feature that it would be very strange for plato to leave that out, fairytale or not.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Great idea but I feel it was as stated.
Just a rock that got hit by a huge lava flow and is buried under water for all time...or
It is a fairy tale made up but one the the great writers of all time.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   
A spaceship? I doubt that, unless you believe SG-Atlantis.

Note that the story/myth of Atlantis date back to the early Egyptians and passed on generation by generation. Plato himself never saw/visited Atlantis, It was destroyed long before his time. It is said he had this knowledge from Critias and he had it from Solon who heard it from generations before.

The island vanished into the sea by a major worldwide cataclysm, global flood according to the myth.
There is a lot beneath the ocean we yet have to discover, if we know that sea-levels were 120m lower during the last ice age maximum, I won't be surprised we will find lost cities going back to that period. If so history needs to be rewritten
edit on 29-2-2016 by intergalactic fire because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: AnAlien0men

I think if Atlantis was an actual historical place then this thread makes the best case for where it may have been located.

South America; The Definitive Geographic Location Of Atlantis

It's also in my opinion, one of the the top few threads ever posted to ATS.
edit on 29-2-2016 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   

He stated in one of these dialogues that "I have never seen anything like what I saw in that city, the libraries had books and scrolls with knowledge of the galaxy, the technology was greater than that of anything that was readily available in Greece."

This is incorrect. According to Plato, the story he was told was that Atlantis was destroyed 9,000 years before his time. Furthermore that supposed quote is nothing from either of the Plato dialogues that mention Atlantis.

How can an entire city just vanish without a trace? How is it that there isn't a single book or scroll left?

More likely than not, Atlantis was created for allegorical purposes by Plato. The question you should be asking yourself is this:

Is there any evidence for the existence of Atlantis at all prior to Plato?

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I read an article that said it may have been a floating city, an island made out of some sort of floating lava like rock. I researched the floating lava thing and it could be possible. It could have had something happen, a storm or something, and it broke apart with most of the city scattered across the ocean floor. The chunks of lava would be unrecognizable today, the lava pieces may be welded to the shore anyplace on any continent or island. This would explain the different locations there were as to the location of the place.

The article I read stated that it is just a hypothesis that might explain things.
edit on 29-2-2016 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Dude if I went to modern day Dubai there is a chance that I might think it a mobile spaceship of awesomeness. But it is not.

It only looks and feels that way. Seriously did anybody watch Outrageous acts of science this week? They have indoor ski resorts and can fly over there. Like the people - can fly. With wings and jet engines on their backs. I am not making this crap up!

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: lightedhype
The wings and jet engines are piloted by Yves Rossi. A Swiss Chap with more balls than a balls factory.
He did fly in Dubai, as a apromo for Emirates Airlines' new A380. (As well as racing Richard Hammond on Top Gear
)

en.m.wikipedia.org...

youtu.be...

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Did you miss the part where it's as big as North Africa?

And that it conquered the rest of the world except for Athens?

And that its disappearance left mud flats the size of North Africa?

That alone says that it's a fable. Plato wasn't delirious - he was using the city as a fairy tale setting for his morality discussion because it'd get him whacked if he used Athens or Sparta (etc.)

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Ummm...so someones been watching...Stargate Atlantis...have they...

Cmon...fess up...

YouSir

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Cymru

Haha thank you for the clarification with more info. I had figured some Dubai prince financed that. That guy is legendary. I hope one day toys like that are more affordable and readily available to everyone. It would be so much fun.

And i still am mind blown by indoor ski resorts in the middle of the desert. Plus the look over there architecturally...the place looks on the outside like an Atlantis.

I like the SA theory..

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Could Atlantis Have Been A Mobile City?

Have considered this.

Think about the city that rolled across Mars in John Carter of Mars.
If something like this existed say... oh, 15,000 years ago, would there still be evidence?

Taking all things into consideration, especially the corrosive factors of salt water, probably nothing... that would be recognizable at first glance.

It is my personal view that an advanced civilization existed prior to our own... though, not to the population we have today, mind you. At some point perhaps as long ago as 50,000 years, it was literally wiped out by some planetary disaster that saw the continents flooded by oceans and land ares wracked with massive quakes.

There is enough evidence to tempt public interest but not enough to get professional archaeology involved. They require something falling on them or swallowing them up before they even set forth on a half century drive for a meeting of the minds to consider the possibility that Big Macs just are not as good as they used to be, much less a human civilization above and beyond horse and buggy.

So much we don't know and officially, do not want to know.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Atlantis was an allegory used by Plato, nothing more, nothing less. I'm sorry, many out there in the new age world will tell you otherwise, others will tell you it was a mysterious place of advanced science and technology - all of which has nothing, absolutely nothing for a means of confirmation.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 12:11 PM
link   
My theory on Atlantis is that it might have been Sodom or Gomorah from the Bible which was burned to ashes and nothing from it survived even statues or any other proof.it was advanced and probably was into libelarism and all the things so called advanced societies has and was punished to the point of non existence.look at our modern '' advanced'' countries they seems like they're going to the same path overuse of technology and all this fancy things even laws and immorality and disregarding the importance of nature.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Umvericomb92

I've heard that before! An interesting thought for sure.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Some key details have led me to a theory of what happened to the lost city. In Plato's dialogues he says that the city was laid out in a circle, which struck him as odd. He stated in one of these dialogues that "I have never seen anything like what I saw in that city, the libraries had books and scrolls with knowledge of the galaxy, the technology was greater than that of anything that was readily available in Greece."

Please read the dialogues you purport to be quoting. You are embarrassing yourself.

Harte

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Greetings-

Point of Order?

What makes You CERTAIN Plato wasn't delirious? You typed "It's because either Plato was delirious (which is impossible) or because the city had to take off..."

Maybe Plato WAS delirious and thought of as a great thinker because everyone else is stuck thinking in a box?

How about the Oracles?

Because We know more about the moon than We do of the sea, I'd opine if/when Atlantis is found it'll be what is now under water. You realize Mother Earth is a large Etch-a-Sketch and every few thousand years She gets shaken about, so what is land now will be water and versa-visa...

Now if We can get the "free thinkers" to be 'the norm' maybe We can fix what We've done? People type that they care for their kids but then they go ahead and poison everything..

namaste

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join