It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What I miss about dogs

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 08:09 PM
link   
We have cats. We love them. All of them were born wild. All of them have been neutered. They live wildish and well. Nico is mostly an indoor cat and came to our household with her late sister as a wee kitten that didn't even know how to bury their own poop. Rascal is a born-and-raised feral cat that did something none of them has ever done: he chose to become a people cat. He used to "greet" us by clawing and ripping our legs and then dashing away. He once did that to me as I walked toward the front door. I turned around and swatted him such that he did a 180. He lowered his body and raised his hips as if to say, "now we're gonna play!" Being beaten was foreplay to this cat. I was truly scared. The only way we could punish this cat was to exclude him from the house. There are six others are feral cats that we feed and water and two of them will allow us to occasionally touch them.

I grew up with dogs. Dogs will let you hug them. Dogs love being hugged. When dogs are hurt or sick or injured, they tend to go to YOU. Cats go by themselves into the bush or burrow under something and hide. Bastards. Dogs NEVER poop in your shoes to express anger. Dogs, once trained, would explode before messing on the floor. Cats are finicky about how and where they urinate and defecate, but don't mind hucking up a hairball anywhere -- even on your lap or chest.

I guess I just miss "dogginess". Where I live -- we can't have dogs, or can't have them in the way I'd want them. Neighbors have dogs that run up and down the road and snack out of garbage cans. I would have to fence in an enormous area, and I can't really afford that.

Other advantages: Dogs will kill feral chickens. Cats know better. Dogs love you unconditionally. Cats seem to tolerate your presence. Cats whine relentlessly until whatever horrid monsterous condition you've imposed upon them is corrected. Yes, cats are loving. Yes, they are. They express their love in ways that only they can.

Still, I can't help wondering, if I dropped dead suddenly if Nico wouldn't curl up on my warm chest and purr until I grew too cold to be comfortable. A dog would have the good grace to be sad and mourn.

I'll never forget bringing our old boy cat Sutter in after being run over and killed on the road. I was bawling and laid him down amongst the cats so they could see what happened. Two of them started playing with his dead tail. Dogs would never do that.

I don't think cats are evil. I love several of them. I think they are amoral, or perhaps still genetically so wild that they are immune to the heartache that their canine cousins are susceptible to. I envy them sometimes. Imagine being numb to suffering.

Dogs aren't numb though. The best it gets for dogs, is to do anything you want to do with them. Who could not love them dearly? I miss dogs.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 08:11 PM
link   
It's been months now and I can't stop missing my furry family.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Still, I can't help wondering, if I dropped dead suddenly if Nico wouldn't curl up on my warm chest and purr until I grew too cold to be comfortable. A dog would have the good grace to be sad and mourn.

Cats eat their dead owners

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: argentus

You know what's great about dogs? It dosent matter how bad of a day you have had or they have had. The moment you step in the door they are as happy as could be.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: mikeone718

Beautiful dogs. A person can see their emotions in their faces.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I hate dogs. If I wanted something needy & high maintenance I'd get a girlfriend.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Zerodoublehero

I find unbridled optimism terribly nauseating.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

Well, that makes sense in a survival way. I can respect it. If my cats did that I would try to find a way to haunt them.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Zerodoublehero

Isn't that the truth?

I come in the door and the cats are mad at me because the kitty kibbles in their bowl is (horrors!) several hours old. Sometimes I feel so ................... used.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Esoterotica

Surely much harder to "acquire" than a dog, no? ;o)

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 08:40 PM
link   

careful the cats may find a way to enslave your immortal soul

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Esoterotica
I hate dogs. If I wanted something needy & high maintenance I'd get a girlfriend.

I suppose you don't have either

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: argentus I often think about why I am more of a cat person than a dog person. I've come to realize that it's probably because I'm more cat like than dog like. I want to be affectionate, but find it weirdly uncomfortable and am very picky about who I share affection with. Since I was little, I would hide away if I was sad or hurt. Your Op made me smile, reading about your cats and thinking about cat/dog people.
Dogs can be a bit too needy for me personally, although I admire their unconditional love and loyalty.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 08:50 PM
link   
a reply to: mikeone718

Grew up with 6 dogs, & the only breed I would ever consider getting is a Great Dane. Supposedly they're pretty low key & easy going. Currently I have 2 cats, I've had both since they were several weeks old. I raised them like dogs & they're not like any other cat I've ever met. They come when their called & run up to new people they meet wanting to be held.
Like humans, animals just have to be raised right. Which is probably why I dislike most humans & animals I meet.

I actually have been dating a girl for 2 weeks now. She keeps calling with no reason & nothing really to say & it's driving me insane.

I'm anhedonic & only 2 weeks in I'm remembering why I spent the last 5 years abstaining from any relationship.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Esoterotica

I wonder what kind of women would want to be with a man that hated dogs?

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Tell her that you'd rather text....and give serious thought about worrying over toxoplasmosis

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 08:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

I wonder what kind of women would want to be with a man that hated dogs?

Her?

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Fortunately it's just a joke that I love to tell (though loving how serious some members are taking it)
In reality I'm an animal whisperer & can't seem to keep the beasts away from me even if I wanted to. I'm just very particular about personalities in animals.
I've can only think of one dog that I actually truly disliked, Hank (god# horrible name for a dog on top of everything) Something in the way the owner coddled him gave him a really annoying personality. His vibes & aura just made me want to punch him in the face. I'm getting riled up just thinking about that dog looking at me the way he did.

Most dogs I encounter I bend to my will, despite how terrible their owners may have raised them. Once the dogs realize I'm not going to fawn all over them & cater to their selfish needs of attention we usually get along fine. That seems to be enough for most women .

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Cesar is that you?

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Dobermen are amazing. My grandfather had two and I remember on a VHS tape I fed them from my hand saying "Da". I must have been 2-3 years old.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join