It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fluoride-free drinking water in Calgary leads to rise in kids' tooth decay

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Fluoride-free drinking water in Calgary leads to rise in kids' tooth decay, study indicates
www.cbc.ca...

University of Calgary study shows rise in decay worst in baby teeth

The study, published Wednesday in the journal Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology, compared Grade 2 students in Calgary and Edmonton, which still adds fluoride to its drinking water.

"This is a relatively new finding, so we are going to take a look at the report and go from there with an evidence-based decision," she said. Denise Kokaram, of the Alex Dental Health Bus, says water fluoridation is the cheapest, most economical way to protect dental health in children — especially for families who can't afford dental care.

Jim Stevenson also voted to remove fluoride from Calgary's water, saying there was insufficient medical proof that keeping it would have any benefit.

Carra said at the time of the 2011 vote, council faced a cost of about $10 million to upgrade the city's fluoride injection system, plus an ongoing maintenance cost of $1 million annually.

"The conversation we were having with the province was that fluoridation is a public health issue

Wow...I didn't even know that this was happening in Alberta! Very shocking, and this smells really bad....from the clips I took from the article, this has multiple things that concerns me:

1) Fluoridation of water WITHOUT public vote...because mayors and government "know what is best" to decide for the people..big brother?

2) Big business for the fluoride supplier...using millions of dollars of funding to inject this chemical into public supply, rather than educating on using better toothpaste ($1.99 - 2.99 a tube or something) and diet (less sugary sweetness consumption). Now kids 2 years and under having issues with teeth, that worries me. I never had bad teeth growing up as long as I brushed. Something tells me it has something to do with what kids consume from early on.

3) Fluoridation is now a HEALTH ISSUE?! It never was for years...and now without consuming fluoride in moderation is not good for you? According to WHO?

All this is crap...nothing but about money and screwing over with people's lives. Just crazy!
edit on 17-2-2016 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Skywatcher2011
Don't worry about it. Stop buying sweets. Besides, everyone enjoys a toothless grin. Be happy that the kids Pineal Gland will be healthy.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   

I know my small sample size isn't meaningful from a scientific perspective, but my family's teeth are all exceedingly strong, with no problems. Neither my wife nor I have had any issues in the past 10 years of zero flouride use, and neither of our children (close to 2 & 4 years old) have any issues. We use reverse osmosis water, and flouride-free toothpaste.

I do believe that flouride has some use in preventing tooth decay, but it's not the only way, and ingestion of flouride is, well, stupid, unscientific, and ridiculous. I'm not against the use of flouride toothpaste in kids who are old enough to know not to swallow any of it, but it really isn't necessary, or the best method to prevent tooth decay. It is an enzyme disruptor (that's more or less how it works to prevent tooth decay), and also what makes it a poison.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   
NO IT DOESN'T. ALL THE STUDIES DONE SHOW THE OPPOSITE SO THIS IS JUST PROPAGANDA BS!

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

my family's teeth are all exceedingly strong, with no problems.

That's significant from any perspective.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Unity_99

NO IT DOESN'T. ALL THE STUDIES DONE SHOW THE OPPOSITE SO THIS IS JUST PROPAGANDA BS!

I hope you're not screaming at me....****cowering****

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Processed foods and beverages such as sodas, juices, sports drinks, baby foods, etc., are often high in fluoride unless all of this food is produced in Calgary. I'm sure they are still consuming fluoride in other ways

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Did this study take into account every child's diet & teeth brushing habits?

I smell propaganda & it's stench is unsettling.

ps fluoride is the devil

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Fluoride is good for teeth when applied topically, not by ingesting.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Phew! When I clicked I thought for a second somebody actually believed this.

I'm calling BS. I know a few people, self included, who avoid flouride as best we can, and our teeth are fine.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Dp
edit on 17-2-2016 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: raedar

originally posted by: raedar

I don't think so. That's why they voted to remove fluoride from Calgary's water, saying there was insufficient medical proof that keeping it would have any benefit. Who ever told you fluoride is good for your teeth if its topically applied is a liar. Its just a way to disperse a toxin and make a profit instead of forking up money to properly dispose of it.
edit on 17-2-2016 by gmoneystunt because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Water fluoridation kills livestock, so it just can't be healthy for humans. This study is based on circumstances that don't take into account a lot of different things. Seems like propaganda, and perhaps this study was authorized by someone who was "paid off".
Just ask any veterinarian who has lived in any area where there was flouride in the water, what happens to animals that have to drink it.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 02:27 PM
link   

From the report study, "In this study, though effects were NOT statistically significant, the decrease in permanent tooth decay in Calgary (F-cessation) that we observed using tooth-level data". (very little difference between no fluoride and with fluoride).

They did not take account of
1) were the children using fluoride tooth paste (in lieu of fluoride water)
2) were the children 'native' to the area (if they had many illegals in the study from an area that did not have normal oral hygiene, they would increase the variance).
3) were IQ levels taken? (fluoride water brings IQ down 10 points)

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: dogstar23

I know my small sample size isn't meaningful from a scientific perspective, but my family's teeth are all exceedingly strong, with no problems. Neither my wife nor I have had any issues in the past 10 years of zero flouride use, and neither of our children (close to 2 & 4 years old) have any issues. We use reverse osmosis water, and flouride-free toothpaste.

I do believe that flouride has some use in preventing tooth decay, but it's not the only way, and ingestion of flouride is, well, stupid, unscientific, and ridiculous. I'm not against the use of flouride toothpaste in kids who are old enough to know not to swallow any of it, but it really isn't necessary, or the best method to prevent tooth decay. It is an enzyme disruptor (that's more or less how it works to prevent tooth decay), and also what makes it a poison.

What makes strong teeth (bones) IMO is calcium and vitamin D to help with absorption of calcium. And having strong bones should help prevent breakdown of enamel? Or am I wrong?

I just wonder if increased caffeine, sugars, or improper brushing/flossing techniques are being used in the population of study?

I agree...fluoride is oversold on the theory of preventing tooth decay, but consumption of fluoride is also harmful to the body. I don't know why they would promote that...just like promoting silver fillings in teeth which contains Mercury - highly poisonous substance which affects brain function.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   
If you think you need flouride, then go see your dentist. I don't drink flouridated water and haven't had any dental issues.
edit on 17-2-2016 by BELIEVERpriest because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Fluoride is poison. Not only it is bad for teeth but it also lowers your IQ.

I think that is the main reason why government is adding fluoride to water. So people stay dumb because if they get smarter they may revolt.

In www.naturaltoothpastebrands.com... you can see that fluoride is not needed in toothpaste and there are more and more fluoride free toothpaste. So if you care for your brain and brain of your kids use natural fluoride free toothpaste. Personally I use home made toothpaste, it is not great, need to find better recipe. It is simple coconut oil and soda bicarbonate.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: gmoneystunt

originally posted by: raedar

I don't think so. That's why they voted to remove fluoride from Calgary's water, saying there was insufficient medical proof that keeping it would have any benefit. Who ever told you fluoride is good for your teeth if its topically applied is a liar. Its just a way to disperse a toxin and make a profit instead of forking up money to properly dispose of it.

Fluoride is a mineral that occurs naturally in many foods and water. Every day, minerals are added to and lost from a tooth's enamel layer through two processes, demineralization and remineralization. Minerals are lost (demineralization) from a tooth's enamel layer when acids -- formed from plaque bacteria and sugars in the mouth -- attack the enamel. Minerals such as fluoride, calcium, and phosphate are redeposited (remineralization) to the enamel layer from the foods and waters consumed. Too much demineralization without enough remineralization to repair the enamel layer leads to tooth decay.

I am Anti Water Fluoridation, by the way. But applying fluoride to your teeth (as in toothpaste) and then spitting it out is a way to "remineralize" your teeth and is not toxic if you spit and rinse thoroughly.

The fluoride debate, as far as I'm concerned, is whether it does any good to add it to water. It does not, because in order for it to remineralize your teeth it needs to be applied directly, not by drinking it. If you cut your finger, you use peroxide to clean it rather than drinking peroxide to clean it.

Source
edit on 17-2-2016 by raedar because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   

But why are there no fluoride toothpaste? And why people who use that have better teeth?

Me first. I switched year ago to my homemade toothpaste and my mouth is stronger than ever.

Also when I cut my self I use saliva from my mouth, not some chemical powder, but I m little bit different than usual folks...

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   

So I went to the dentist the first time in YEARS (like since 2006) and I had no cavities. Meanwhile, babies are getting cavities and tooth decay without fluoridation and you are trying to present this as a conspiracy? Looks like this is exactly what was going to happen.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join