It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

San Francisco built an outdoor urinal

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Well times are certainly changing since my day. it seems to be a kind of "can't lick em join em" kind of thing.
What do you all think of this?

“Honestly, we were ready to go pee anywhere,” San Francisco resident Aaron Cutler told news station KNTV. “So any facility is better than none.”

The park now features 27 toilets, including the outdoor urinal, thanks to more than $20 million in renovations. They were the park’s first upgrades in 60 years. San Francisco Recreation and Park Department spokeswoman Sarah Madland said she wasn’t aware of any other cities with a public urinal.

San Francisco has a long, sometimes creative, history of dealing with public urination. In 2002, the city increased the possible fine for the crime up to $500, but that did little to deter it.

Last summer, the city painted nearly 30 walls with a repellant paint that makes urine spray back on the offender, San Francisco Public Works spokeswoman Rachel Gordon said.

www.washingtontimes.com...

Not sure how this is any urinal no water and by the bus stop, must stink!

edit on 12-2-2016 by SeaWorthy because: (no reason given)

+11 more 
posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Huh, I thought San Francisco was an outdoor urinal.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

I am super confused here. Guys can pee on trees. Why not just plant trees?

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

Designated "Pee Trees"? I like it!

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Last summer, the city painted nearly 30 walls with a repellant paint that makes urine spray back on the offender, San Francisco Public Works spokeswoman Rachel Gordon said. 

Lol, that exists?? That is so awesomely evil. Thanks for sharing OP. I guess if the public is for it and if they are ready to pee anywhere this isa good thing.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Try getting an EPA permit for that.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Nothing new.
We were doing that in glastonbury years ago
and fighting for space with the dogs lol.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   
It tripped me out the first time I went to Amsterdam... but the more I thought on it the more a covered spot that drains into the sewer made sense (for guys)if you had a high traffic area, especially if lots of booze was involved in said area.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: lightedhype

Lol, that exists?? That is so awesomely evil. Thanks for sharing OP. I guess if the public is for it and if they are ready to pee anywhere this isa good thing.

I'm sure the people that make a habit of peeing in public already smell like urine. What's the deterrent?
edit on 12-2-2016 by jtrenthacker because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-2-2016 by jtrenthacker because: that last sentence was awkward

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ismynameimportant

Nothing new.
We were doing that in glastonbury years ago
and fighting for space with the dogs lol.

Maybe they could have put it a little further from the bus stop...add some nearby flower bushes to mask the odor. Are yours made like the one in the OP? Here we still have nice clean flush toilets in our park with hand washing

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
It tripped me out the first time I went to Amsterdam... but the more I thought on it the more a covered spot that drains into the sewer made sense (for guys)if you had a high traffic area, especially if lots of booze was involved in said area.

How do you know when a perv is hanging it out for the kiddies at the bus stop or really has to go, time them hanging to long ticket? we have laws about public exposure but I guess San francisco long ago dropped theirs as I know my friend ran in a race there and some wrinkled ole guy like me only buck naked handed water to her little kid along the run

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   
There's already 27 toilets, and they feel like they just have to have an open air urinal as well?

One day, they're going to have a woman squatting over that thing, for whatever reason ( drunk, or dared, or whatever), and then......I don't know, I got nothing else.....little bit speechless.....

Lol.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I'm not sure if that's a good idea. What are women supposed to do? Drop their pants and let it fly?

How long will it be before people start crapping in it?
edit on 2/12/2016 by N3k9Ni because: typo

+3 more 
posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Given the number of bums in San Fran, I'm surprised it took them this long. They pee and take dumps all over the place. I'm all for public toilets, but the problem is that in large cities, they just become a place for the drug addicts / bums to shoot up.

San Francisco is one of the most disgusting cities I've visited. Bums everywhere. Liberal paradise.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 12:16 PM
link   
As long as it's a 'Unisex' urinal.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: N3k9Ni

That's what I was thinking. So you stop trying to lick the problem and cave in cater to them, now they can pee in the park but now they will want to take it to the next level. That is how it is with people.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy
a reply to: N3k9Ni

That's what I was thinking. So you stop trying to lick the problem and cave in cater to them, now they can pee in the park but now they will want to take it to the next level. That is how it is with people.

Not everything is a slipper slope like that. I get your thinking, though. The worst thing about it to me isn't that it might escalate but it's already too far for me. Why not just put a porta potty, so woman can use and can go s****. I know it's more work, but come on. Where's the decency.

EDIT: I see they did this because there was already rampant peeing in public. This isn't a solution to restrooms, it's a solution to people not using them or there being too few of them. This is a park, so ti's somewhat understandable. It's normal to pee behind some trees/bushes while hiking because restrooms just aren't available. Parks are similar because there's a lot of natural environment and long walks.

There was also a $500 fine for peeing in public, but did little good.
edit on 2/12/2016 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Urine can kill small trees. And if 20 people a day peed on the same tree, it would get pretty malodorous in the area in a short time... Eww.

I don't mind the idea of an outdoor urinal. It drains into the sewer system and I don't have to gawk if I don't want to see it.

originally posted by: snowspirit
There's already 27 toilets, and they feel like they just have to have an open air urinal as well?

They only had three before! I thought this might be a good point, so I did the math. Even with 27 toilets, if the park has 10,000 visitors on a nice Saturday, that's about 370 people per toilet per day. If the park is busy for 8 hours, that's about 45 people per hour in each toilet. Just over one minute to do whatever business you have. They need MORE toilets. More than 27!

If people don't have a problem peeing in public (which they were doing anyway, before the 27 toilets were added), I don't see a problem with an outdoor urinal.
edit on 2/12/2016 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   

They couldn't afford to put a drain in that thing?
Stay Classy, Frisco.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Just think of the revenue they can generate with the public indecency fines!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join