It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

San Francisco built an outdoor urinal

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Next up...Outdoor feeding troughs for the homeless.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Another big government failure.

What's next?

Make the first one a National Historic Site.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Lol, so true abou the women. Especially in San Francisco, everyone will be screaming "Equality! Us women want to expose our cooters in public and pee just like the men!"

They will all have these female urination devices, (Go Girl) to help them pee standing up- have you seen this silly invention?
youtu.be...

Or, will there will just be one "community" Go Girl funnel, hanging from a string attached to the urinal?

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp
a reply to: SeaWorthy

Just think of the revenue they can generate with the public indecency fines!

Again how does this square with those laws? The laws were made for a reason protection of innocent kids was one.
My sister says "we are not animals".

Not sure porta potties are more work as what about the number 2 factor

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   
How long before Cholera returns to SF?

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I like to wash my hands after I take a leak. I see this going bad real quick, with pictures, video's and about everything everyone else already mentioned. Time to sue that dude over there he snapped a picture of my kid kind of things. I'd like to see a pic in one years time of the same spot. Perhaps a homeless guy can get a city job keeping it clean?

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy
Well times are certainly changing since my day. it seems to be a kind of "can't lick em join em" kind of thing.
What do you all think of this?

“Honestly, we were ready to go pee anywhere,” San Francisco resident Aaron Cutler told news station KNTV. “So any facility is better than none.”

The park now features 27 toilets, including the outdoor urinal, thanks to more than $20 million in renovations. They were the park’s first upgrades in 60 years. San Francisco Recreation and Park Department spokeswoman Sarah Madland said she wasn’t aware of any other cities with a public urinal.

San Francisco has a long, sometimes creative, history of dealing with public urination. In 2002, the city increased the possible fine for the crime up to $500, but that did little to deter it.

Last summer, the city painted nearly 30 walls with a repellant paint that makes urine spray back on the offender, San Francisco Public Works spokeswoman Rachel Gordon said.

www.washingtontimes.com...

Not sure how this is any urinal no water and by the bus stop, must stink!

That is not a bus and I don't see a Muni stop there. Seems like a good idea to combat a problem they were having.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

*shrugs* it can happen in a standard public bathroom as well.

The ones I saw in europe were pretty enclosed with just about enough room for a 6' 200 lbs guy ...but they also had the opening facing the canal not a walking path.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Who's going to want to stand there to take a leak...after people start taking dumps in it?
Design Fail!

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: lighter78
I like to wash my hands after I take a leak. I see this going bad real quick, with pictures, video's and about everything everyone else already mentioned. Time to sue that dude over there he snapped a picture of my kid kind of things. I'd like to see a pic in one years time of the same spot. Perhaps a homeless guy can get a city job keeping it clean?

There are attendants for that and the 27 new conventional bathrooms. I would assume one of those people hoses these down. They aren;t just built and forgotten about.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Not a job I would enjoy, seems it would be like hosing down a zoo animals cage/habitat..

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Not a job I would enjoy, seems it would be like hosing down a zoo animals cage/habitat..

There are people who already gave that job, so you wouldn't have to.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
Who's going to want to stand there to take a leak...after people start taking dumps in it?
Design Fail!

People know they are only supposed to pee in it. That was the purpose, so they had somewhere near to pee and not on lilghtopsts..one of which fell down from urine corrosion. If that happens, can;t be worse than a port a potty...sometimes people do not seem to know where to aim in there. There are people that clean those.
edit on 12-2-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

If people don't have a problem peeing in public (which they were doing anyway, before the 27 toilets were added), I don't see a problem with an outdoor urinal.

I see it a little different having a Grandson and some problem encountered with a perv.

So if a guy is ogling some young girls across the park and publicly jerking off in the urinal all's well I guess if we turn a blind eye.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 01:09 PM
link   
When I first came here I didn't read the article. I edited my previous post. But want to say this isn't a solution to traditional restrooms. It's a solution to parks and natural environemnts where there's lots of people and limited resources to spend on porta potties (for example).

But I'd still prefer a porta potty:
1) More privacy (I'm a guy and I still prefer stalls when peeing)
2) Number 2
3) Woman can use

But porta potties do require more resources to maintain.

This isn't about "animals". Me and my friend go on and hikes and he's a big pisser. Finds some bushes and goes. It's your only choice in a natural setting with no conventional luxuries. Similar issues with parks.
edit on 2/12/2016 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

I reciently saw an advert for a little device for women. It can be held up to a woman's peeing parts snugly and is shaped like a tube that extends out like a penis and then directed to a urinal or whatever. So no squatting for this function.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

There are attendants for that and the 27 new conventional bathrooms. I would assume one of those people hoses these down. They aren;t just built and forgotten about.

They have attendants?

The thing is when taking my grandson to the park I have him pee first, then after drinks or after a certain time I take him to the restroom and have him go. he is a kid and manages as do I not to pee all over and ruin the park. we are thinking people we can manage ourselves, wear depends if need be.

So what we are getting down to is there is a homeless problem? I could come up with many solutions to the homeless problem and it would cost less than some city recreation plans.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
a reply to: snowspirit

I reciently saw an advert for a little device for women. It can be held up to a woman's peeing parts snugly and is shaped like a tube that extends out like a penis and then directed to a urinal or whatever. So no squatting for this function.

I suppose that would be good for germ problems but you are left with a drippy tube to carry around even if there is a place to wash it (in the public sink?) it is rather a messy idea?

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   

People know they are only supposed to pee in it. That was the purpose, so they had somewhere near to pee and not on lilghtopsts..one of which fell down from urine corrosion.

If they know they are only supposed to pee in it, how come they couldn't figure a light post was a bad idea?

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   

That is not a bus and I don't see a Muni stop there. Seems like a good idea to combat a problem they were having.

You are right about the bus and stop and one article mentioned water although I don't see it. I am a sea and country guy, looked like our bus stop, have to excuse my jump there.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join