It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Bible Still Relevant in the 21st Century? What If Anything Needs to be Changed?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 10:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Sigismundus

Aw s***, i always do this.. I meant Socrates, not Aristotle

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 11:04 PM
link   

I think the Kharman Ghia was one of the coolest cars of all time ... but I never fit very well in one. I think it needs to be changed.

Just because change works for one person does not mean it will work for everyone. This is exactly why we need the entire works available for public consumption. How can any individual know what applies to them if they do not have the entirety there to inspect? How can we know anything outside the box if we limit our exposure to what is inside the box? Everything has to be examined in detail for anyone to have a clear understanding of what they believe. By their fruits will you know them ... but not everybody got the apple ... meaning God opens all our hearts as individuals, not as a single body but as parts of a whole.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 11:20 PM
link   
The bible needs to add:

"about the authors" section.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 11:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sigismundus
Added to this we have many ancient pre-scientific blunders and fallacious notions that are in the text of the 'holy bible' which do not square at all with modern scientific discovery, including but not limited to the ancient Levantine cosmological view of an immobile flat earth

Which verse is this exactly?

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 12:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sigismundus
a reply to: chr0naut

How would YOU translate this

הֲלֹא אֵת אֲשֶׁר יוֹרִישְׁךָ, כְּמוֹשׁ אֱלֹהֶיךָ--אוֹתוֹ
תִירָשׁ; וְאֵת כָּל-אֲשֶׁר הוֹרִישׁ יְהוָה אֱלֹהֵינוּ, מִפָּנֵינוּ
אוֹתוֹ נִירָשׁ

if not by making reference to different clan-gods with different nations attached?

Yes, they do use eloheka (our God) and elohenu (your God) specifically.

By the time of the Judges, Israel was spread from Mt Hermon in the North, down to the edge of the Negev in the South. From the coast in the West to near the extent of the Jabbok tributary in the East (Judges 11:22). At the time the population would have (most likely) been greater than that of the Exodus, which some have estimated to be as high as 1.5 million, so they were a definite nation.

Calling them a clan at that stage in their nationhood, two generations after their conquest of 'the promised land', is stretching the definition.

edit on 8/2/2016 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 01:01 AM
link   

You Jewish?

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 01:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: kumiho

You Jewish?

Not that I know of.

Ancestry is French (Norman) and English, going back as far as the 1600's.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 01:23 AM
link   

What's relevant is what we take from it in the 21st century

Looking at my bible the last words are

If anyone adds to it God will add to him
If anyone takes words away from this book
God will take from him his share in tree of life

God = unconditional love .. is what I take from the bible
There are some beautiful verses in it.. If you open it

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 01:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Gabriel69

Looking at my bible the last words are

If anyone adds to it God will add to him
If anyone takes words away from this book
God will take from him his share in tree of life

Tough love...

I guess...

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 01:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

[snipp] it boy 21St century

edit on 8-2-2016 by Gabriel69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Yeah... And love barely exists here

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

Yeah... And love barely exists here

Awww common mate
You are one of the most loving people I know

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:08 AM
link   

well... thanks

but lets not get all mushy...

the question is, "is the bible relevant to this age"

The answer is Yes... IF one knows where to look...

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:37 AM
link   

well... thanks

I am sure you can ask people the question "did you find something relevant to your life in the lord of the rings?", they would say yes and they would say something about friendship and to never give up. Harry Potter? The same. Superman ? Idem.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:44 AM
link   
I think the bigger question is: How much of it have you read?

It's the most popular book ever printed. So ya it's relavent, and beats harry potter. It's extremely valuable knowledge. You have no appreciation for literature. And I doubt you've read any of it because if you did you'd know how good a read it is. As to what's true, what's not, etc etc etc. That's a whole other debate. But you can't not read something like Psalms and proverbs and not be impressed. And many other areas.

I think you're more wondering if "christianity" is relavent. Well I'm sure it is. Religion is a big part of life experience. It's good to believe there's something else out there than only what we see and experience. It gives you hope. People that hope there's nothing out there to try to hope away hell are so stupid. So utterly blind. If there's no afterlife then life is completely pointless. there's zero reason for it.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: gosseyn

well... thanks

I am sure you can ask people the question "did you find something relevant to your life in the lord of the rings?", they would say yes and they would say something about friendship and to never give up. Harry Potter? The same. Superman ? Idem.

Yes but that isn't the question...

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:50 AM
link   

well... thanks

You're right, I guess the real question is : why are you so emotionally invested and attached to the bible ?

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:55 AM
link   

well... thanks

You're right, I guess the real question is : why are you so emotionally invested and attached to the bible ?

that's a good question...

im not... but 4 books stand out among any others...

even to this day

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: lavatrance
I think the bigger question is: How much of it have you read?

It's the most popular book ever printed. So ya it's relavent, and beats harry potter. It's extremely valuable knowledge. You have no appreciation for literature. And I doubt you've read any of it because if you did you'd know how good a read it is. As to what's true, what's not, etc etc etc. That's a whole other debate. But you can't not read something like Psalms and proverbs and not be impressed. And many other areas.

I think you're more wondering if "christianity" is relavent. Well I'm sure it is. Religion is a big part of life experience. It's good to believe there's something else out there than only what we see and experience. It gives you hope. People that hope there's nothing out there to try to hope away hell are so stupid. So utterly blind. If there's no afterlife then life is completely pointless. there's zero reason for it.

So you're saying you need a psychological crutch to be able to live your life ? I can understand that.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 03:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: lavatrance
It's good to believe there's something else out there than only what we see and experience. It gives you hope. People that hope there's nothing out there to try to hope away hell are so stupid. So utterly blind. If there's no afterlife then life is completely pointless. there's zero reason for it.

Maybe it gives you hope and maybe not. Believing there is a Hell out there hardly seems like a hopeful idea imo.

Life has meaning without believing in an afterlife.

If there is zero meaning in an afterlife then that means there is zero meaning in an afterlife without a life too. So why not concentrate on that now while you're living it and actually know it exists.

What about the beforelife??? Does that matter too or not???

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join