It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Bible Still Relevant in the 21st Century? What If Anything Needs to be Changed?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 03:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

originally posted by: gosseyn

a reply to: Gabriel69

well... thanks

but lets not get all mushy...

the question is, "is the bible relevant to this age"

The answer is Yes... IF one knows where to look...

I am sure you can ask people the question "did you find something relevant to your life in the lord of the rings?", they would say yes and they would say something about friendship and to never give up. Harry Potter? The same. Superman ? Idem.

Yes but that isn't the question...

You're right, I guess the real question is : why are you so emotionally invested and attached to the bible ?

that's a good question...

im not... but 4 books stand out among any others...

even to this day

You're not emotionally attached to the bible ? I don't believe you. If you're not intellectually honest then there's no need to continue this discussion further.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 03:04 AM
link   
a reply to: gosseyn

You're not emotionally attached to the bible ?

Why would I be... its a book

I don't believe you.

LOL why NOT?!?!

Read my threads...

If you're not intellectually honest then there's no need to continue this discussion further.

Very true...

Think about that before you assume things...

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 03:09 AM
link   

You're not emotionally attached to the bible ?

Why would I be... its a book

I don't believe you.

LOL why NOT?!?!

Read my threads...

If you're not intellectually honest then there's no need to continue this discussion further.

Very true...

Think about that before you assume things...

We're talking about the contents of the bible, not the color of the cover. You say it's relevant, I told you almost every story is relevant. You acknowledged that fact. Then why do you think the bible is relevant above all other stories ? I am still awaiting your response. If it is not emotional investment, then what is it ?

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Read the story...

That's the best idea really

Start At Matthew and read to the end of John

might be good to skip to Mat 3 actually

edit on 8-2-2016 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 03:16 AM
link   

no we need a basic explanation. The most basic for our existence is just: Monotheism

why not have an explanation for our being here? It's confusing enough as is without having some foundation. If I'm wrong it doesn't matter. If I'm right then I'm fine forever. I like that. I can sleep peacefully at night knowing I got my insurance policy. People don't have one are nervous, and so they try and somehow hope the bible will go away. well it won't. Might as well deal with it.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Read the story...

I don't have time to read right now, can you just tell why you think the story you talk about is relevant above all other stories ever told ?

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 03:19 AM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

All I'm saying is when the bus shows up you better have your bus pass or your not getting on. That would suck

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 03:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: lavatrance

no we need a basic explanation. The most basic for our existence is just: Monotheism

why not have an explanation for our being here? It's confusing enough as is without having some foundation. If I'm wrong it doesn't matter. If I'm right then I'm fine forever. I like that. I can sleep peacefully at night knowing I got my insurance policy. People don't have one are nervous, and so they try and somehow hope the bible will go away. well it won't. Might as well deal with it.

So you're ok with following a set of arbitrary rules all your life knowing that those rules could be devoid of any relevance at all ?

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Read the story...

I don't have time to read right now, can you just tell why you think the story you talk about is relevant above all other stories ever told ?

Fair enough...

its a story about a man that actually remembered being with "God", being taught by him

unlike any other

There are many passages that are completely irrelevant in both the OT and NT... but few are found in the gospels.

Only in allegorical or metaphorical statements can such things be found in said books.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Read the story...

Fair enough...

its a story about a man that actually remembered being with "God", being taught by him

unlike any other

There are many passages that are completely irrelevant in both the OT and NT... but few are found in the gospels.

Only in allegorical or metaphorical statements can such things be found in said books.

So, if you have followed my train of thought, I am not saying the bible is not relevant, I am saying it's as relevant as any other story. I am saying the relevance is in the eye of the beholder. Do you agree that there are other works outside of religion that can be as relevant if not more relevant than what can be found in the bible ? Or do you consider the story of the man who remembered being with god the only real authentic relevant story of that kind ?

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 03:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Sigismundus

Reading the Bible from beginning to end is what made me an agnostic!

Of course it is irrelevant. I mean, who lives like the people mentioned in the Bible? Who would have two wives and impregnate his slaves like Jacob did? Who would kill his own brother like Cain? Who would sleep with their own father like Lot's daughters? If we had to live like the Bible says we should: marry our dead brother's wife, wear clothes made of one material only, not eat pork/rabbit/shellfish or baby goats boiled in their mother's milk (?), segregate women from society and cooking when on their periods etc etc etc.

Why would a God make such ridiculous rules? They may have been relevant to people 2000 years ago who didn't know what we know, for example that women are not 'unclean' when they have their periods.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Read the story...

Fair enough...

unlike any other

So, if you have followed my train of thought, I am not saying the bible is not relevant, I am saying it's as relevant as any other story. I am saying the relevance is in the eye of the beholder. Do you agree that there are other works outside of religion that can be as relevant if not more relevant than what can be found in the bible ? Or do you consider the story of the man who remembered being with god the only real authentic relevant story of that kind ?

I consider said writing exceptional...

Though of course many many books and writing though out the past 2000 years have influenced our society obviously

Works outside of religion are far more relevant to our age... Though "spirituality" and Our age are quite different

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 03:44 AM
link   

All I'm saying is when the bus shows up you better have your bus pass or your not getting on. That would suck

This is what the Hindus and Muslims are telling you!
If you don't have their bus passes you won't be getting on!

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 04:01 AM
link   
The Old Testament should be separated from the New Testament... Only the historical Jesus should be in the Christian biblical canon.

Christian should only perceive GOD through the messages of Jesus.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 04:40 AM
link   

you have to, it's the law. Unless you wanna go kill someone be my guest

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 04:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Hex1an

I thought Jesus WAS the Old Testament God, in the Flesh!

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 04:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Agartha

hindo and mohammeds are wrong!!!! This video proves it!!!!

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 04:57 AM
link   

What ? Are you saying that for you killing someone has no relevance to anything ?

By "set of rules" I was talking about praying, going to church, being against sex before marriage, etc..

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 05:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: windword
a reply to: Hex1an

I thought Jesus WAS the Old Testament God, in the Flesh!

Use both, and like everything else in life, context is king.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 05:04 AM
link   

What ? Are you saying that for you killing someone has no relevance to anything ?

By "set of rules" I was talking about praying, going to church, being against sex before marriage, etc..

What relevance does "don't steal" and "don't kill" have if all we have is this life and there is no higher power?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join