It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Bible Still Relevant in the 21st Century? What If Anything Needs to be Changed?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

How about just follow the Golden Rule; the universal truth that preceded 'the Bible' and Jesus? What he said was nothing new. It predates him by thousands of years, and came from other ideologies as well.... Just use and apply the Golden Rule as often as you can. That's really all there is that matters.

Personally, I think Frank Herbert's DUNE series is more relevant than the Bible.

edit on 2/8/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

I like the part about not judging others too. More people these days need to practice that rule versus the golden rule. Most people for the most part have the golden rule down pat and agree with it. It's the not judging others part people seem to have problems with.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Most people for the most part have the golden rule down pat and agree with it.

Sure, they know what it is.
Having it down pat and agreeing with it does not mean they practice it.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Oh don't get me wrong. They definitely need some work in that category too, it's just that I see the not judging others category gets easily neglected and lost in the mix. If more people paid attention to that rule in addition to the golden rule, we wouldn't have the war on drugs and have callous attitudes towards drug addiction that our society does. Abortion wouldn't be an issue. Nor would homosexuality. Let alone gay marriage. Religions would get along better. I can keep going on and on.

Heck, once you stop judging others for things you disapprove of, following the golden rule tends to easily fall into place. This is because your sympathy for others' plights expands.
edit on 8-2-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Precisely. The "judging others" thing is strong with too many.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 10:04 AM
link   

You know, many of these problems would be solved if the Bible removed most of that mythological fluff from its text. The book has served its purposed, but its time to set it aside for books written more recently that better describe the message it was getting across. One of the biggest problems with the bible is the tedious appeal to tradition argument around why it is kept relevant up to this day.

Me? I could care less about tradition for tradition's sake. Sure if it is proven to be a good idea, continue it, but doing something just because it's been done that way forever is dumb.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Frank Herbert made fun of everyone, a superior mind in every aspect.. He knew all to well, his son didnt and destroyed a huge part of his legacy..

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   
There are so many factors that needs to be taken into consideration if we are to re-write the bible, we made the gospels into a modernized version, but the rest holds important stories of parables.. It needs to be fitted into one book, the message needs to be the same, the story in another parable..

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Sigismundus

This is hilarious. Religions aren't concerned with whether something is politically correct or not. Does the Bible need to be changed? Why? To pander to those who wouldn't otherwise accept it? Sorry, religion isn't Hillary Clinton.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: neveroddoreven99

You accept laws? Now go to school, run along dear child

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: neveroddoreven99

This is hilarious. Religions aren't concerned with whether something is politically correct or not. Does the Bible need to be changed? Why? To pander to those who wouldn't otherwise accept it? Sorry, religion isn't Hillary Clinton.

Updating your thinking with new information isn't necessarily a bad thing you know...

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   

The Bible, the Quran and all the holy books need to be destroyed. They are the true cause of all evil in our world.
The bible was written by humans and change / mistranslated / edited by councils based on what benefits them personally the most. They are scam filled books of hatespeech from the days of ignorant barbarian scum.

Moses in the bible was a scumbag / rapist and slaver and murderer. The prophet Mohammad was all that and then lots more including a pedophile / child molester. That's not my words, that's the words from their very own holy books. These are the "stars" and role models of religion.. wtf!?!?

Also I noticed a lot of people posted about how it's good to have faith.
Do you know what faith even means? It means the belief in something without any evidence or proof. How is that good? that is a flaw.

Quote from earlier "Faith help a person do things better, healthier, and more gracefully. "
Really? So believing and having faith that you can fly if you walk off a 500 foot building, that's graceful and healthier?

Faith and belief are only considered good by small minded ignorant people terrified of real life and reality. Sad

I'm so glad there are almost no real religious people where I live.

The bible was once considered worthless and irrelevant trash and so the Christians changed it. That time is here again, and this time the rest of the book (and all other holy books) needs to just go into the garbage and be forgotten like the yesterdays sewage.

It's funny, if you think about it, sewage has actually far more value and use in society than a holy book.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: DumpMaster

True cause to evil is not religion its human nature, religion forces human nature into obedience, Native Indians practiced religion in a way of teaching.. Easily way to put it, in every society the Bible is there doesn't matter if you acknowledge it or not, you still follow it, that's the reality..

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: kumiho

True cause to evil is not religion its human nature, religion forces human nature into obedience, Native Indians practiced religion in a way of teaching.. Easily way to put it, in every society the Bible is there doesn't matter if you acknowledge it or not, you still follow it, that's the reality..

Actually you're wrong on that. Human nature is more in line with the Golden Rule. Religion came way later.
Every day I see religious people killing other people for their religion or gods. Every day. It's disgusting and an insult to humanity.

Also I do not follow any holy book. All religion is far below me, I would have to lower my standards and obliterate my morals if I wanted to be part of any religion. No thanks.

Also the bible is full of plagiarism and is copied from older fairytale books that were from before it. Most of the stories in the bible were copies of previous deities adventures. Check out Mithras, Osiris, Dionysus, and more.

Religion is a scam. It uses a method called the long con. I don't hate religious people, I feel sorry for them as they are victims of brainwashing and many will never know how amazing reality is.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   

But you are quite incorrect. In the Pentateuch in the chapter of Jethro Moses set up a system of courts where lower courts reports to higher courts which report to a Supreme Court.
the judges would be chosen by local communities by the candidates scholarly level.
The Torah also specifies a Senate of 72 elders which were in charge of laws and calendrical calculations.
It also acted as a system of checks and balances where the King had to consult with the synod.
The Torah introduces the concept of alimony and women having rights in cases of divorce.
The Greek and Roman alphabet sorry been ripped off of the Hebrew Phoenician alphabet.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Place starvation in that equation, or you think food magically appear on your plate? Humanity came from organised fear in a book, it's always people like you who think;" well in my fantasy everyone loves each other" how about you watch a nature program about Africa during the dry season, that's a f***** human in its true form.. But no problem go with that attitude in a dry season and see if magic helps you survive

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: kumiho

Excuse me for interrupting.

The only "universal" ideal is The Golden Rule.

But, beyond that (and the reason for my interruption) I have to say your posts in this thread do not add up to a coherent statement.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   

I dunno. I feel like the Golden Rule is more of a Golden Guideline than a rule. After all, would you want a masochist doing to you what he wants done to himself?

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   

See, that's the trick......

There's also this other thing, a correlation:

"Act like an asshole, get treated like an asshole."
It's a double-edged sword.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   

I don't really feel like that aligns with Jesus' message in the bible though. Jesus would advocate turning the other cheek on someone treating you like an asshole. You are mostly just preaching revenge paradigm here, or rather eye for an eye of Hammurabi Code.
edit on 8-2-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

new topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join