It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient conspiracy: Tower of Babel

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: areyousirius360
a reply to: Punisher75You just insult people for fun? Something brought you here so what you might want to learn is when people discuss Scripture it is usually done without questioning if it did or didn't happen because embedded in those stories are truths. Allegorical, mythical, or literal truth, the idea is to learn from it and your free to satisfy your appetite for internet superiority, but it would be better if you made a worthwhile contribution.

I must say that Punisher75 is right--he did not insult you, but he made very good points. You seem to think that modern religion lies, or that the Bible itself is wrong in general. If so, then asking about a story only contained within the Bible and taught by those who follow the Bible will only yield three results: Those who believe and think the story accurate, those who think it is a story told to explain something (like why so many different languages exist in a post-deluge world where they all should have been the same or massively similar), and those who will say it means nothing and that it's just a fairy tale with zero credibility.

Historically and factually speaking, I think that the Tower of Babel story is nothing more than an attempt to do two thing: Remember a time when a powerful city (Babylon) was building a massive ziggurat to glorify itself (but also use it as a home for its patron god, Marduk/Bel), and serve as propaganda for whomever told the story.

The destruction of Babylon (and rebuilding) took place by the Assyrians, who worshiped Assur as their chief diety--the entire story could be a condensed retelling of this history through the eyes of the Assyrians, or even a third party who romanticized the whole thing. At the time, differing civilizations/cultures would have spoke differing dialects (even if similar), and Babylon was controlled by quite a few differing cultures after its subsequent decline post-Hammurabi. It's not too far-fetched to assume that the Assyrians would have attributed the destruction of Babylon (and it's "tower") to their god Assur--a demonstration of his power and control.

That's my take on it. I also subscribe to the possibility that it is meant to explain the vast array of global languages at a time when the reason behind them was poorly understood or investigated.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Punisher75That was a stupid thing to say, you are obviously just being rude so say what you like at least I don't go the internet trying to bait people for no reason incessantly like a person who has nothing better to do.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 08:26 AM
link   

a reply to: Punisher75I am trying to find out what other people think about the the esoteric aspect of that particular story. And you apparently didn't notice how I tied the E.U. in which is probably the most interesting thing I wrote. You instead jump on me and try to make me look bad for reasons I don't even want to know. If you this ain't your thing then go check out the UFO section.

No I did notice and I the painting of which you speak that you tried to tie to the UN however the problem is that the poster of which you speak is only ONE painting.
There are numerous other painting of the tower of Bable that show it in various states and shapes of construction. So far as I can tell there is only one that resembles the UN building.

What does this mean?
Well if it means anything "esoteric" it would be on the part of the UN, not on the Bable narrative.
Why?
Because the UN building was built after the tower of Bable narrative was written.

And no in fact I did not try to make you look bad I pointed out the problem with the way the question is worded, makes it very difficult to answer if you want the "Real Story"

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkeyOh I have never heard any of that before ever not once, thanks for enlightening me.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 08:27 AM
link   

a reply to: Punisher75That was a stupid thing to say, you are obviously just being rude so say what you like at least I don't go the internet trying to bait people for no reason incessantly like a person who has nothing better to do.

I am being rude?
You just said it was designed to "Dis" Mainstream Christianity.
If anything I would be responding to your rudeness, by your own admission.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I find it interesting that nobody has commented on the E.U. choosing this symbol for themselves. Symbolically it represents rebellion to YHWH and it can't be just a coincidence.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Punisher75is that really that offensive, I was subtle about it and you needed it explained to you, so I did.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 08:36 AM
link   

a reply to: Punisher75is that really that offensive, I was subtle about it and you needed it explained to you, so I did.

No it was not subtle at all.
You did not in fact have to explain anything, when you said

What I'm looking for is the non church taught view, you know, the real story.
I knew exactly what your intent was.

edit on 27-1-2016 by Punisher75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Ok. I'm done with that, what about that E.U. poster I mentioned and the building that was designed to resemble an unfinished tower? What a symbol to use for a government! That is what is so interesting because symbols are extremely important.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Ok. I'm done with that, what about that E.U. poster I mentioned and the building that was designed to resemble an unfinished tower? What a symbol to use for a government! That is what is so interesting because symbols are extremely important.

I agree that if it can be demonstrated that the EU building was intentionally built destined to look like the tower of babel painting it would in fact be telling.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Punisher75Chill the f out, religious conspiracies is where we are, which is by nature offensive to Christianity. Take a breather dude, your getting all wound up over nothing.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 08:48 AM
link   
You can just look at the poster they made WITH the Tower of Babel right on it that says "Many tongues, one voice. If that is not proof then I don't know what to tell you.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 08:49 AM
link   

a reply to: Punisher75Chill the f out, religious conspiracies is where we are, which is by nature offensive to Christianity. Take a breather dude, your getting all wound up over nothing.

If you think I am wound up I am sorry that you feel that way.
Yes the religious conspiracy forum can in fact be offensive to Christianity, however not necessarily exclusively so. A quick look at all the Muslim threads will attest to that.
The issue I have is not with the questioning of Christianity or with any faith, on the forum, it is with the way the question is worded.
By that I mean, in order to get to the answer, which I assume you are seeking, one cannot discount the possibility of the Church taught view as being valid, simply because it comes from the Church.
This is called the Genetic Fallacy.
I have no idea if you are familiar with formal logic or not so I will post the definition NOT to be insulting but so that we are all on the same page.
The definition of genetic fallacy is defined as such; A Genetic Fallacy is a line of "reasoning" in which a perceived defect in the origin of a claim or thing is taken to be evidence that discredits the claim or thing itself. It is also a line of reasoning in which the origin of a claim or thing is taken to be evidence for the claim or thing."

This was the entirety of my point.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 08:51 AM
link   

You can just look at the poster they made WITH the Tower of Babel right on it that says "Many tongues, one voice. If that is not proof then I don't know what to tell you.

I am familiar with the poster in question, however I do not know if the poster with the tower and the EU building was designed by the UN itself or rather by someone who combined the two. That is what I am asking for. If you happen to have a link that demonstrates this that would be great.

(post by areyousirius360 removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Punisher75Don't you have a search engine?

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: areyousirius360You need only a basic understanding of symbology and history to understand this one.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 09:02 AM
link   

a reply to: Punisher75Ya That's got nothing to do with it if you have a beef you've made it clear your personal opinions on my topic aside, maybe there is a thread you might understand better, try something basic.

Why is it you continue to insult me?
Relax, its a conspiracy board, with a big logo to your right that says "Deny Ignorance" do not be offended when people show you that your presupposition is logically flawed.
I have stated no opinion whatsoever on the topic, but rather the logical fallacy that is ingrained in your response to someones answering the question.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 09:03 AM
link   

a reply to: Punisher75Don't you have a search engine?

I do indeed however there is nothing that I have found that says the UN designed the poster. Perhaps you have had better luck?
edit on 27-1-2016 by Punisher75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: grumpy64
Or is just a way of explaining why there were so many different languages back then and this would have been a right pain in the neck. Every town almost would have a different language or dialect and trade would have been difficult. But the tower in the fable was probably a real one at some point in time which may have been derelict at the time the story began.

^^^This.

Certainly, people came up with tales as to how people came to speak different languages, confounding our ability to communicate well with one another, unlike animals, who seem to all be able to communicate with each other without confusions.

Also, as mankind developed civilizations it sought to find protection from hostile neighbors and from nature itself. The natural development of technology and architecture would people to build walls and observation towers. Eventually, the towers probably became known as lofty dwellings of watchers and leaders.

But, as we build higher and higher, we attract the attention of the gods, who notice a man made spire standing alone in the sky. As it is their nature, the gods MUST strike it down, the natural display of their angry and wrathful lightening and thunder, punishing mankind...... two steps back, for every step forward!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join