It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Girls basketball team gets booted from league for being too good

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Not bragging, really, this is a true story.
My daughter played, up until this year, for a team who was unbelievably good. They won state champs like it was nothing!

The difference between them and most teams they played in their league was that they practiced everyday except Saturday.
There were some Saturdays that they practiced.
We traveled all over this state and surrounding ones also.
She loved the game! She has made friends from all over that I am sure will last a lifetime!

There were mornings that they were at the gym before 6am.
There were afternoons that they were at the gym after 6pm.

In the "off" season, which with "travel" ball there really is no "off season", they played high school girls,

Every season, we asked her if she still wanted to play, she said yes.
This year, she was concerned with beginning of high school that she couldn't do both anymore. She was afraid her grades would suffer so she chose to quit.

When I tell you this team was good, it is no exaggeration. There were girls on the team that had colleges looking at them in the 8th grade! 8th grade!
Anyhow, they worked hard, they earned their titles, they deserved them!

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra
It was not inner city black kids that came in and were better players.

it said minnesota. we talking out in the sticks?
i bet if they went to the twin cities area to PS147 they'd be getting all kinds of dunked on

good for them though.
3-0
crazy #

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

so you linked some cdaa page.
the news article does not mention that at all
it does say they are a rogers area youth basketball highschool team.

so are they part of a school team/league or what?

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: scojak
High school? Really?! How long do teenagers need their hands held without facing a little adversity? This is nothing short of pathetic. But, if anything, I hope they at least give them participation trophies before giving them the boot. Participation trophies make everything ok. /sarcasm

It's not a high school. It is a private league. See previous posts for the reasons.

My point was that they are at the age of high school. Kids are "growing up" faster than ever and it's insane to prevent life experiences for the sake of fairness and comfort. Life is not fair, and "protecting them" like this will just make them weak and unable to fend for themselves.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

The over use of steroids is obvious.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   
This seems to be a league for really bad players. The player from the banned team says she has not made the cut for her high school team so this was the only place she could play. Seems like this is a league for players of limited skills as the leagues goals are

The primary goal is for the players to have fun and improve basketball fundamentals through a combination of practices, 3-on-3 and 5-on-5 games.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

now all i can think about is the movie the ringer with johnny knoxville

www.imdb.com...

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

This is bs, i remember when i played futball we were the best in our official league and won almost every year but then we sign up for scrimmages that were way above our level. We handed out some devastating defeats and took some as well. In the league we dominated for years our final game in our final season we lost to a team we dominated since we were young bucks, looking back though, every loss and every win was earned and me and my friends did it together. point is lessons are learned though winning and losing, so yeah this pc movement that everyone is a winner is taking away the lessons learned from losing, and taking the glory out of winning.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Great idea!

Punish the talented players and coddle the crappy ones!!!!

The future and fate of the world is seriously starting to incite major angst in me.

Punish the one's that work hard and hone their skills so that the lazy untalented ones can feel good about themselves.

You seriously can not even make this stuff up.

Man, I almost wish I was born a generation later so that I wouldn't have had to work my ass off to succeed....all I would have had to do is whine and throw a temper tantrum to get what I want.

Screw a bunch of hard work and sacrifice to get it...sheesh!

Bunch of pansies if you ask me.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Well at least they were taught a lesson at a young age.

that;

This world is Fing retarded.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
Well at least they were taught a lesson at a young age.

that;

This world is Fing retarded.

You ain't kiddin'

I'm not a fan of the word "retarded" but, that actually pretty much describes the world we are living in right now to a damn T!

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Our city has a catholic private school that recruits all the top players from local public high schools. They offer them free tuition if they play for their school. You can just imagine how difficult public schools in our area have a tough time competing against their athletic programs. The public school athletes leave because they want to play on a winning team.

Our public schools can't recruit any outstanding players because their sports programs are constantly being stripped of their better players. It really gets kind of boring when the same team leads in every sport every year.

When a league doesn't have a level recruiting field, the team that's giving unequal incentives should be placed in a league that has a higher caliber of competitive teams.

If this team has the same level of recruiting and has just put together a great team, than they shouldn't be forced to compete in another league.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   
First reports are rarely the whole story and usually inaccurate.

Will watch for follow up.

And why is it only on FOX NEWS.
edit on 24-1-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Fair enough.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: MagesticEsoteric

originally posted by: Annee

Fair enough.

Not that it couldn't be true. If it is --- heads need to roll.

Parents can be very petty. My kids swam for 10 years. We had a great coach. But, a few parents thought they should be in control. The coach finally gave up and told them they could run the team ---- as he exited permanently. Of course, it all completely fail apart after that.
edit on 24-1-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   

I remember getting either an award or some little paper with a gold star to say I participated in something starting in kindergarten.

I remember only receiving a trophy if we won the championship or made the all star team. Getting a gold star for completing your kindergarten assignment is not even remotely the same thing.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

So, you're the person that bores the # out of everybody in the room about your offsprings poo smelling like strawberries..

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Poppcocked

Yes!
THAT would be me!

Do YOU not like strawberries?!

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I remember getting either an award or some little paper with a gold star to say I participated in something starting in kindergarten.

I remember only receiving a trophy if we won the championship or made the all star team. Getting a gold star for completing your kindergarten assignment is not even remotely the same thing.

As it should be!

an award or "some little paper with a gold Star" just for participating is the problem.

Just my opinion though.

Earn the little paper and the little star....it's not something that should be expected. lol

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 10:24 PM
link   

what utter bollox :

this quote says it all :

i havnt been able to play highshcool for 2 years because i did get cut when i tried

source

too good my arse ,

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join