It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When you say, "start at the bottom", what do you mean?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 10:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: onequestion

Do you think that people shouldn't struggle?

I think people should struggle way less then they do right now you better believe it.

That's the core issue, imho.

I don't care what other peoples struggles are, personally.

I just am concentrating on mine and my successes.

You think people should struggle less.

that explains it in a nutshell.

Have a nice evening.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Your total lack of empathy and connection to the rest of the world is completely selfish and I have no interest in discussing anything with anyone who basis everything they think on the premise of, "I only care about myself".

Thanks.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 10:15 PM
link   

a reply to: VanGcouverite

I know I was weeded out and put on Ritalin for years before I woke up at 12 and began refusing.

I was one of the first to use Ritalin in the mid 60s and it did wonders for me, but by the time I was 8 I didn't need it anymore.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 10:16 PM
link   

So you don't care about other people.

You care only about you and yours.

You don't care what happens to others as long as you're taken care of.

That explains it in a nutshell.

Have a nice evening.

link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Oh some people really do need it but I also believe it's abused by the authorities as well.

link   

What world do you live in where there's enough skilled positions for the entire country to work in without having to have all of the low paying # jobs filled?

Is there 74 million kids who want to work here or am I missing something?

Out of that number, over 3/4 of them will be duds / status quo. They will do the minimum to get by, too lazy to improve themselves, and show no ambition to do what it takes to move up. Oh, they will constantly complain but they will do nothing to help themselves.

Have you ever heard of the 80/20 principle?

80 percent of the 'work' will be done by 20 percent of the participants. This is true.

Be the 20% and let the low performers remain in the lowest positions.

You don't have to outrun the hungry bears chasing you. You have to outrun the other people running from the bears.
edit on 14-1-2016 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Is it possible to start at the bottom in today's world and afford the basic necessities?

When you are asking this are you saying one person by themselves affording everything on one paycheck? You could not do this in the 70s or 80s why today? I needed roommates until my 30s as example.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 10:20 PM
link   
You build your social status. This is rarely inherited, and easily ruined by misdeeds if it is.

I see people who never make it as lacking the necessary skills to put the pieces and people together properly. They're just not operating at a high level, so why would they be expected to get ahead? It is what it is.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Oh some people really do need it but I also believe it's abused by the authorities as well.

I agree, way too much medication for our young. What do kids need to be depressed today about that kids 10 20 50 years ago didn't?

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 10:22 PM
link   

The numbers lie.

Can you honestly say the dollar is worth what it was in those days?

Have you ever read the breakdown of hours required in order to afford the basic necessities and how they have changed over the years?

Also we have lost over 10 million manufacturing jobs and all of the skilled trade jobs go to immigrants from Asia and South America who are willing to work for pennies crushing the trade unions and destroying Americas future for an entire generation.

These are facts I recommend research the truth about the landscape of economy we are moving into a world where less and less work is required for more and more productivity.

The system enevirably has to change and will do so but I would personally like to avoid catastrophe first.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

It's not a matter of getting ahead. It's a matter of having a reasonable bottom. We need people to fill all job positions in life. No reason they should have to suffer for filling the positions at the bottom.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Since I have not seen any response to my last post which enumerated one way to improve your position in life, I take it it was either too much work to read it, or too much work to do it. Either way, it speaks volumes about your attitude IMO.

This idea of work less earn more is the main reason businesses move offshore to cheaper manufacturing centers. Being in business means maximizing your workforce. You are either growing or or you are losing to the competition. There is no medium ground....that is where unicorns live.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Our social structure is crushing many and the selfish behavior of the average citizen of this nation is beginning to manifest rampant disease and poverty across the board and these are unignorable facts.

Kids are depressed because they spend the first half of their life creatively and physically oppressed by a system of indenture meanwhile researching their own philosophies on the Internet and realizing their entire life is a lie designed by a control grid meant to enslave us.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 10:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove

So you don't care about other people.

You care only about you and yours.

You don't care what happens to others as long as you're taken care of.

That explains it in a nutshell.

Have a nice evening.

You can only help those who will actually help themselves. That is a fact. You cannot make someone perform well at their job or show up for work on time, or progress in a given field.

If someone wants to do the minimum then they have willingly put themselves there. Why should you reward intentional uselessness?
edit on 14-1-2016 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

I agree with all of the point you made and starred your posts.

Thanks.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

I think everyone should get a basic income to survive and work to get ahead if they choose and can contribute, but that's yet to become a reality.

I think everyone should strive to be their best or "get ahead", economically speaking.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 10:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Business just moves to where it's most easy to exploit for their personal profit. It has nothing to do with anything else.

These people you mention are being exploited to an insane degree. They're doing the work and living in even worse poverty. Is that really what we should be looking to as the way to live? These people in these nations working for next to nothing and living in filth aren't the people being promoted to the top.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 10:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove
a reply to: pl3bscheese

It's not a matter of getting ahead. It's a matter of having a reasonable bottom. We need people to fill all job positions in life. No reason they should have to suffer for filling the positions at the bottom.

Just because someone is doing a job I may not personally want or view as "skilled" or "valuable" doesn't mean I think that person deserves poverty.

Who else is going to do that job?

Did you know that cashiers at Albertsons used to make 15$ an hour and were unionized?

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 10:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker
a reply to: onequestion

Yeah, most of us start at the bottom. In my case E1... LOL

I didn't start making decent money until I was 28 (1996) when I started at 32K or so. By 30 I was grossing about 70-85 K a year depending on the overtime.

Why, because I performed better than the pack. Most people will make their job 9-5 and still be in the same position years later. You need to out perform your peers and take the initiative or you will be like the rest of the 80-90%.

So in your mind 80-90% of workers deserve poverty?

That seems to be the OPs question after all

It is a fact of you are the best of the best you can live comfortably..... Most of the time, not always, but most of the time.

But then by default of not hitting the genetic lottery and being born and NFL athlete or Einstein or capable of outworking everyone else you deserve to live like crap and never have anything?

Because this conversation always focusses on the top or bottom while ignoring all the majority that are plenty smart and hard working that still get left in poverty, because being born into the right family or making the right friends still outweighs skill by tons.

Don't only think black and white when the vast majority is Grey area, and the vast majority are working their butts off for nothing but poverty.

This is the truth of the matter that keeps being overlooked.

In a country with more than enough for all to live very well, most, no matter how hardworking are in poverty.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa
You want it itemized. huh? Fine:

1. Honestly assessing your own skill set.
  2. Honestly assess tour best traits and natural talents.
  3. Research and evaluate what the needed skills will be in 5-10 years. This is not impossible, it takes work, and initiative to gather the information. Google actually makes is a lot easier than it used to be.
  4. Compare the research you've done to the skill sets you currently have.
  5. Compare the research you've done to your best traits and natural talents.
  6. Find the best match that utilizes your best talents and skill set that has the highest earning potential.
  7. Determine if additional training is needed to close any gaps in skills or talents. This could be from certifications to full college degrees.
  8. Research what it would take to get that training (if needed).
  9. Research potential employers that match your skill sets, that have a demand, are in a growth industry projected from 5 - 10 years in the future.
  10. Find employers (or start your own company) that are the best/closest match.
  11. If additional training is needed, find an employer(s) that will help subsidize that training by some percentage.
  12. Research those employers to learn as much about their products and work culture. This will give you an edge over other applicants if you can speak their language and talk about their products/services at an interview.
  13. JUST DO IT!
  14. DO NOT GIVE UP!
  15. Repeat as many times as necessary.

Hope that outline helps you understand what it takes to not start at a "bottom level" position.

What is this "common sense" you speak of here?

But you are right. The problem is so few will take any initiative to secure a career.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join