It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is something wrong with the moon?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I understand perspective and camera lens sizes. I believe we went to the moon .

My question is this. Where are all the satellites in the epic images?

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

The EPIC satellite is at the L1 position roughly 1 Million miles from Earth.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Helious

I think it would have been better if you'd had a "Because" part of your OP.

"Is there something wrong with the Moon?" Because -

Or at least given a summary of the video for those that can't watch it.

Looking at other comments this seems to be a misunderstanding, or not understanding the focal length of the camera lens being used or the telescope's.

The moon only cover's 1/2 a degree of the sky. If I take a picture of it with a 50mm lens, it looks like a white dot when it's full.

Here's a video I took of the moon back in 2011 with my Sony Handycam DCR-SX85.....it has a focal length of 38mm when zoomed all the way out, and an amazing focal length of 2340mm when zoomed in.

You can see the difference when I zoom out from the Moon.

If the Moon had been closer to the horizon, anything on the horizon would have been included in the video, making the Moon look HUGE.

The same thing applies when taking a picture of the Earth from the moon: Focal Length and what is included in the foreground will make things appear different.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: donktheclown

Erik, of Channeling Erik, states that the Moon landing was real but there was a lot of "doctoring" of the shots and videos. They came out lousy evidently, and you know - NASA pride - fix them to look good, remove pesky ufo images and whatnot. Also, supposedly, they were altered to correctly show what was going on.

That's because he doesn't know what he's talking about. Claiming something and it being true are different things.

I would guess that NASA is one of the most prolific liars of the U.S. agencies, outside of those that are expected to Lie, of course...Those naughty boys and girls have been putting the screws to us, big time. Not even a kiss.

You can guess all you like, but you don't know - it just fits in with a view of the world you've adopted.

If you don't like NASA' s pictures of the moon, buy a telescope, or look at Russia's, or Japan's, or the ESA's, or China's, or India's.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Perspective

If no one has said it yet, to the naked eye, the moon appears larger on the horizon than when directly overhead. This is an optical illusion…

Wiki

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

you tell me :

the earth has an equatorial diameter of ????????????????

the earth [ in < select a picture > ] occupies ??????????????????? pixels

the average satelite in orbit is < 3m long

how many pixels do you think a satelite should resolve at ??????????????

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ddrneville

originally posted by: butcherguy
I say neither. It is a matter of perspective

This, + the guy is an idiot...
Stupid is as stupid does

No.

If anything, the Earth should take up the entire lunar sky per the satellite images. Earth is MUCH larger than the moon and moving from 750,000 miles out to the lunar surface, one can see that perspective is way off.

Curiouser and curiouser.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Thank you for that and you're right! That said, it should be easy enough to look into what focal length the Hasselblads were on the Apollo missions the Earth pictures were taken on and then mathematically deduce if the size of Earth is correct based on the EPIC photo, right?

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

They are too small to be easily seen, especially from that distance.

They aren't visible in this image either from China's "Chang'e 1" probe:

By the way, the Moon is relatively smaller than it is in the DSCOVR/EPIC image from NASA, because the Moon is in the background of the Chinese image rather than in the foreground)

Or this image taken from lunar orbit from the Japanese Space Agency's (JAXA) "Kaguya" spacecraft:

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Helious
a reply to: eriktheawful

Thank you for that and you're right! That said, it should be easy enough to look into what focal length the Hasselblads were on the Apollo missions the Earth pictures were taken on and then mathematically deduce if the size of Earth is correct based on the EPIC photo, right?

There might also be cropping involved. Again, the absolute size of the Earth in the image frame is not relevant unless we are looking at the raw uncropped image and know the focal length.

However, it is meaningful to discuss the relative size of the Earth to the Moon in the DSCOVR/EPIC image.

Here is one of the still images from the EPIC camera that is 2048 pixels x 2048 pixels total. I measured the diameter of the Earth to be roughly ( I may be off by a few pixels) 1600 pixels wide. The Moon in that same image was roughly 575 pixels wide. The relative difference between those is that the Earth is 278% larger.

FULL Size Image:
www.extremetech.com...

Smaller image to fit in this thread (use link to full size image above):

Now, that's not to say that the Earth is 278% larger than the moon, because it isn't. The Earth is about 7926 miles in diameter while the Moon is about 2160 miles in diameter. So calculating the actual size difference between the Earth and Moon would mean the Earth is 367% larger than the Moon...

...So why is there a discrepancy in the relative size of Earth to the Moon in the DSCOVR/EPIC image (367% versus 278%)? What's up with that?

Than answer is simple: The Moon was closer to the DSCOVR spacecraft and EPIC camera when the picture was taken, so the Moon will look larger than it should be in comparison to Earth. The spacecraft was about 1,000,000 miles from Earth when the picture was taken, but only about 762,000 miles away from the Moon. So the distance between EPIC and Moon was only 76% of the distance between EPIC and the Earth.

76% of 367% = 278%.

B-I-N-G-O! The relative sizes in the EPIC image are correct.

edit on 1/8/2016 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Different lenses, here you go...

Two different moonrise photos:

Both were taken from Earth.
Is this proof that we have two different moons....
or the moon grows and shrinks?

I like this post!

linky

Had to do it

No.. was trying to make a point, full credit to you

Regards

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

Nice pics... the last one is of the Santa Catalina Mtn's "Finger Rock" North of Tucson AZ... the mountain that, when viewed from the city to the South, has what looks like a finger (a rock pinnacle) raised in a rude salute to the city.

Anyway, there may well be some weird stuff going down on with the moon, but this aint it... as far as I can tell, anyway.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Different lenses, here you go...

Two different moonrise photos:

Both were taken from Earth.
Is this proof that we have two different moons....
or the moon grows and shrinks?

I like this post!

linky

Had to do it

No.. was trying to make a point, full credit to you

Regards

No problem.
I was just razzing you.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: onebigmonkey

You can guess all you like, but you don't know - it just fits in with a view of the world you've adopted.

Oh, pardon me. You're telling me the facts, so I take it you know what you're talking about, right? I see - it's what view of the world YOU'VE adopted that's correct. Got it. Great contribution, thanks.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   
The guy didn't prove anything in the video...just typed a whole bunch of stuff in front of youtube videos he already downloaded. Btw...since he spelt July as "Juluy" in the video, you know he was pretty stoned out of his mind and tripping himself out simultaneously.

Recommend thread title to be "Is there something wrong with this guy...besides the moon"

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

Awesome, when did Erik of Channeling Erik become a valid source?

As valid as any other. What "facts" have you got?

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: donktheclown
a reply to: opethPA

Awesome, when did Erik of Channeling Erik become a valid source?

As valid as any other. What "facts" have you got?

OK -- so you said that Channeling Erik said that NASA removed UFOs from the image. Can you please provide the specific information about the UFOs that were removed from the image? Does Channeling Erik have the original image showing the UFOs? If not, do they have any specific information that indicates that it did happen?

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

OK -- so you said that Channeling Erik said that NASA removed UFOs from the image. Can you please provide the specific information about the UFOs that were removed from the image? Does Channeling Erik have the original image showing the UFOs? If not, do they have any specific information that indicates that it did happen?

These things need to be searched for by you.

Ya know, I get it. It does sound ridiculous, I know. I expected lots of ridicule.. Three years ago I wasn't the best I could be, but far from it. Today I have nothing (well, almost nothing) in my heart but LOVE. Erik helped put it there. I don't know how. Again, it sounds crazy, but eventually you will understand. It won't hurt anyone to look - you've got nothing to lose but everything to gain. Other than that, I've got nothing - criticize away. Peace.

edit on 10 27 2013 by donktheclown because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: donktheclown

These things need to be searched for by you.

utter bollox

the alledged evidence for these claims needs to be provided by the claimant

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Helious
Greetings ATS,

As I have stated often here before, I personally believe we went to the moon. I do not believe however that the video and photographic evidence provided by NASA is an accurate and true account of that event however. I could blather on for hours about why I feel this is so but alas, it's been done to death here a hundred times over so I will spare you that discussion and my opinions.

I'm grateful you didn't blather on for hours, as this argument has been totally and completely refuted for ages. The simple fact is we went to the moon and the images and video provided by NASA document the whole thing. It would have been impossible for them to fake the footage at the time, as the film technology that would've been required did not exist.

The op video shows nothing but the presenter's ignorance of focal lengths and perspective, and his desire to exacerbate a pointless and baseless argument that should have been put to bed decades ago.

There is not one piece of evidence to suggest the original moon landing footage is fake, and videos like the one in the op are clickbait attention-seeking nonsense. Nevertheless, thanks for sharing, I enjoy denying ignorance, it makes me feel clever. xD

edit on 8-1-2016 by spygeek because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join