It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is something wrong with the moon?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Greetings ATS,

As I have stated often here before, I personally believe we went to the moon. I do not believe however that the video and photographic evidence provided by NASA is an accurate and true account of that event however. I could blather on for hours about why I feel this is so but alas, it's been done to death here a hundred times over so I will spare you that discussion and my opinions.

I will offer just one simple thing to think on in this thread and I believe it's really worth thinking on because while I'm sure there will be many who will try, this isn't easy to explain. If you choose to watch this short video, you will clearly see that there is a very large problem with images we have been presented by NASA as genuine photographs and oddly enough, NASA themselves are the ones who have created that problem.

Take a look at the video and ask yourself if something is wrong with the moon.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Helious
I watched the whole video.
It did not actually prove anything specifically.
It didn't even posit a specific problem.
Is the Apollo video fake.... or the EPIC video?

I say neither. It is a matter of perspective.

And the guy looks like he is high.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

I don't think I can chalk this one up to perspective. I thought about it pretty hard and honestly it not only seems implausible, it seems downright impossible that at that scale the Earth would appear so tiny from the surface of the moon.

I mean, granted, I'm not an astrophysicist but I don't think you have to be to see the glaring inconsistency between the Apollo photos and the EPIC video.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 10:01 AM
link   

I don't see it. What is wrong? This isn't a games forum so speak up.

ETA: The pics from the Moon used a camera. The pics from EPIC are using a telescope.
edit on 8-1-2016 by DenyObfuscation because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
I say neither. It is a matter of perspective

This, + the guy is an idiot...
Stupid is as stupid does

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   

The Earth is about 2 degrees across from the surface of the Moon. Jim Lovell was famously able to cover it with his thumb.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: DenyObfuscation

I don't see it. What is wrong? This isn't a games forum so speak up.

ETA: The pics from the Moon used a camera. The pics from EPIC are using a telescope.

The point is this, the video from EPIC is a true representation of the actual size of the Earth and the Moon. One being a camera and one being a telescope is not at issue, what is at issue is the size of the Earth as compared to the Moon.

Does it seem to you based on the EPIC images that if you were standing on the moon the Earth would look as small as what has been presented in the Apollo photos? If your answer is yes, cool, for me, the answer is an astounding "hell no".

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   
From the Moon the Earth would appear to be about 4x the size of the Moon viewed from Earth.

I see no problem. You need to be clear about what you think is wrong.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 10:21 AM
link   

The point is this, the video from EPIC is a true representation of the actual size of the Earth and the Moon. One being a camera and one being a telescope is not at issue, what is at issue is the size of the Earth as compared to the Moon.

Yes, the Earth is four times larger than the Moon. The Moon is 1/2 degree across as seen from Earth, so yes, this "flattened" image represents their relative sizes correctly.

Does it seem to you based on the EPIC images that if you were standing on the moon the Earth would look as small as what has been presented in the Apollo photos? If your answer is yes, cool, for me, the answer is an astounding "hell no".

Then you're not taking the flattening effect of the telescopic lens into effect.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   

It's all based on perspective.
The moon going in front of Earth is going to show it slightly larger as it is closer to the image capturing device.

When you are on planet earth, the moon does look massive but this is due to an illusion, and it's an actual thing known as Moon illusion. A good way to describe the illusion is go outside during a full moon and extend your arm out, close one eye and cover the moon with a single fingertip, the object doesn't seem that big now does it?

The images taken from the lunar surface are very accurate.
edit on 8-1-2016 by strongfp because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Different lenses, here you go...

Two different moonrise photos:

Both were taken from Earth.
Is this proof that we have two different moons....
or the moon grows and shrinks?

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Helious

I don't understand what the absolute size of the Earth matters, considering different cameras with different zooms (different focal lengths) would show the Earth to look to be different sizes, even when taken from the SAME location. Heck, even cropping of the image can make the earth look bigger in the image. What matters is the relative size of the Earth to the Moon in the EPIC image, and that seems 100% correct given the distance of the EPIC spacecraft from each.

Here is an example of two photos of Earth taken from lunar orbit by Apollo 11. The first one is taken with a focal length of 80 mm. The second one was taken with a focal length of 250 mm.

Focal Length: 80mm

Focal Length: 250mm

Here are two pictures of the moon from Earth. The Moon looks bigger in one image that it does the other due to focal length of the camera lens:

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Ddrneville

That observatory must be HUGE!!!

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Breaking news: The earth is bigger than the moon! More at 11.

Seriously, this is just you buying into some half-baked idiots obvious clickbait video. There's absolutely no science presented as to why his postulation could be true. He just says "The earth looks so much bigger on the EPIC shots! The moon landing therefore is fake!" It's someone who is willfully ignorant of the science of perspective. Discarded.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Why is the title of this thread, "Is something wrong with the moon?" For a start The Moon has capital letters in its name, because it is not a moon, but our Moon. Second of all, the threads premise and content do not appear to say that there is anything wrong with The Moon at all, but do suggest, as do many other threads on this site, that there is something off about the way The Moon looked in Apollo shots, taken from the surface, when compared to the Earth.

Let's have some honesty in our titles? Please?

Now, as to the perspective issue...has perigee and apogee been taken into full account, and have allowances been made for the difference in recording equipment?
edit on 8-1-2016 by TrueBrit because: Grammatical error removed

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Erik, of Channeling Erik, states that the Moon landing was real but there was a lot of "doctoring" of the shots and videos. They came out lousy evidently, and you know - NASA pride - fix them to look good, remove pesky ufo images and whatnot. Also, supposedly, they were altered to correctly show what was going on.

I would guess that NASA is one of the most prolific liars of the U.S. agencies, outside of those that are expected to Lie, of course...Those naughty boys and girls have been putting the screws to us, big time. Not even a kiss.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: donktheclown

Erik, of Channeling Erik, states that the Moon landing was real but there was a lot of "doctoring" of the shots and videos. They came out lousy evidently, and you know - NASA pride - fix them to look good, remove pesky ufo images and whatnot. Also, supposedly, they were altered to correctly show what was going on.

I would guess that NASA is one of the most prolific liars of the U.S. agencies, outside of those that are expected to Lie, of course...Those naughty boys and girls have been putting the screws to us, big time. Not even a kiss.

Awesome, when did Erik of Channeling Erik become a valid source?

Is this post really based around perspective and a Mulder's lack of understanding on perspective?

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   

ok - so the idiot has just demonstrated that he doesnt understand focal length

anything else ?

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   
That Dark sky watcher guy is a known hoaxer, drug addict, all round douche.
Such white trash.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ddrneville

Different lenses, here you go...

Two different moonrise photos:

Both were taken from Earth.
Is this proof that we have two different moons....
or the moon grows and shrinks?

I like this post!

linky
edit on b000000312016-01-08T11:35:15-06:0011America/ChicagoFri, 08 Jan 2016 11:35:15 -06001100000016 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join