It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I think people are confusing PC with manners

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+64 more 
posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 08:42 AM
link   
There seems to me to be a huge confusion on politically correctness and just plain manners.
It seems people are cheering "certain" people for mocking disabled people, personal attacks on people and out right rudeness and claim it fighting political correctness.

Its not.

For me political correctness is things like:
Safe spaces

Shoe horning minority’s into programs were they don’t belong, IE the BBC in England’s obsession with putting blacks and Asians in Medieval European settings. (not that I have a problem with minority’s on TV but just they should not be shoe horned in)

Locking people up for thought crimes and non violent hate speech. (I might disagree with someone but I defend there right to say it )

Double legal standards.

Revising and censoring history to be more PC.

White guilt.

Reverse racism and positive discrimination.

Banning or discouraging certain cultural norms while promoting others.

Zero tolerance culture.

Those are to me PC culture and things we need to look at as harmful.

On the other hand:

Mocking disabled people.

Making blanket generalisations on race or religions

Being outright rude or insulting to individuals

Giving into fear and hysteria

That’s not fighting PC, that’s just being a jerk.

edit on 20-12-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   

On the other hand:

Mocking disabled people.

Making blanket generalisations on race or religions

Being outright rude or insulting to individuals

That’s not fighting PC, that’s just being a jerk.

These are nothing but expected kneejerk reactions to the modern hyper PC ideology and exist with or without PC influence. We used to be able to handle behavior like this with a good ole morally righteous asskickin and laugh the bullies off, but now we can't even do that without PC blow back.

The liberals have become the bullies, all the while still clinging to their victimized personas as a foundational motivation. It's a narcissistic and dangerous double-binding meme that is prevalent amongst many cultural movements usually under the guise of 'civil rights' or even more extreme, that of mainstream religious ideological movements such as 'radical islam'.

edit on 20-12-2015 by rexsblues because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   
For me PC will always mean "Personal Computer" . I don't follow "trends" .

Barely use a "LOL" once in a while.

Write "political correctness" isn't to hard with technology this days.

+5 more 
posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Some fair points, but even white guilt is a nonsense. I've never felt guilty of being white. I don't know anyone who feels guilty for being white. Do you? but then being white is not something I'm proud of either it's just a skin pigmentation. I prefer to have a little sun kissed skin if anything, not out of guilt, but it just makes one look a little more healthy and the vitamin d is always a bonus.
What cultural norms have been banned?

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
Some fair points, but even white guilt is a nonsense. I've never felt guilty of being white. I don't know anyone who feels guilty for being white. Do you? but then being white is not something I'm proud of either it's just a skin pigmentation. I prefer to have a little sun kissed skin if anything, not out of guilt, but it just makes one look a little more healthy and the vitamin d is always a bonus.
What cultural norms have been banned?

Well we don’t really in UK, though I get the impression from some American friends they get it in college in certain studies and areas.

As for cultural things I’m talking about busy body council and schools that try and stop things like carol singers, saying merry charismas ect I know its only at local level and to be honest I hate Christmas myself but end of the day councils ect should STFU and get a life.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Mmmmm....I really don't think that makes one a jerk actually.

I think it just makes the either uneducated, misinformed or gullible.

Now, if you'd said "Creating fear and hysteria", I'd have agreed with that one.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful

Mmmmm....I really don't think that makes one a jerk actually.

I think it just makes the either uneducated, misinformed or gullible.

Now, if you'd said "Creating fear and hysteria", I'd have agreed with that one.

Now your being picky on words

But yeah those creating creat fear and hysteria are in a different league.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok where have they banned carol singers. It used to be organised by, churches, but seeing as religion is waning in the uk not as many go to church instead choosing to spend their Sunday's differently these days. I don't think carol singers have been banned. Just a sign of the times, when less and less people are going to church. No one stops people saying merry Xmas. Unless you are referring to that hoax thread from a few days ago, which was posted from a satire website. I think maybe these things are worse in the USA, but then everything is. Where liberals are to blame for everything and half the PC nonsense is made up to produce the knee jerk reactions you speak of.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   

a reply to: crazyewok where have they banned carol singers. It used to be organised by, churches, but seeing as religion is waning in the uk not as many go to church instead choosing to spend their Sunday's differently these days. I don't think carol singers have been banned. Just a sign of the times, when less and less people are going to church. No one stops people saying merry Xmas. Unless you are referring to that hoax thread from a few days ago, which was posted from a satire website. I think maybe these things are worse in the USA, but then everything is. Where liberals are to blame for everything and half the PC nonsense is made up to produce the knee jerk reactions you speak of.

Im talking about petty bureaucratic council crap like this and this.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok I know what paper you were reading over Sunday morning fry up

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   

a reply to: crazyewok I know what paper you were reading over Sunday morning fry up

I think we are now diverging from the point of the op.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Some fair points, but even white guilt is a nonsense. I've never felt guilty of being white. I don't know anyone who feels guilty for being white. Do you?

To answer your question, yes, I have known people who felt guilty for being white. They also came from a family with a ton of money, and also felt guilty being from said family. Now, to be fair, no, they never just came out and said they hated being white, but you could tell by the things they would do/say.

They were "punk rock", and would dress in the worst, most torn up clothes possible. One even wore a loincloth to cover a giant hole in his butt. They wouldn't bath, they'd act like they never had any money, yet would drive around in brand new cars. They were so anti-racism, that it made me feel they were very racist. They went out of their way to have as many minority friends they could, even if there wasn't much in common. Why?? So they could tell people that they "don't see color". That was their exact wording, which is sad, because as a minority I do see color. Why?? Because our planet is a beautiful, colorful place. Why would I want to pretend not to see color??

Don't get me wrong, they're good people, and I'm glad they were my friends(haven't seen them in years).
But yeah, you could tell deep down they had white guilt, and rich guilt. But the fact that they cared enough to make sure they weren't racist-affluenza pricks made them great in my book.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Does a free society shun people who don't exercise "good manners?" Should such people be shouted down, or silenced by force? Should they be villified by the MSM and SJW's to the point that they lose their jobs or their businesses fail?

Because that is what modern political correctness has become, and that's why it flies in the face of the 1st Amendment of the US Constitution.

I assume that's also why everyone I talk to in the real world is sick of the PC nonsense.
edit on 20-12-2015 by OpenMindedRealist because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: OpenMindedRealist
Does a free society shun people who don't exercise "good manners?" Should such people be shouted down, or silenced by force? Should they be villified by the MSM and SJW's to the point that they lose their jobs or their businesses fail?

Because those things are what modern political correctness has become, and that's why it flies in the face of the 1st Amendment of the US Constitution.

. No they should not be silenced by force.

But if your a jerk then your not free from being shouted down.

That is free speech too.

If you act like a dick then other people have the right to act like a dick back.

In a true free society one has the freedom and right to "shun" whoever they like. And free media also has the freedom to criticize too.

Only thing freedom of speech should grantee is that the state will not get involved and your free from criminal actions being used against you. It does not however give you protection from the consequences of such actions such as counter criticism, insults and being boycotted.
that’s not political correctness it just life.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok
I don't disagree.

Tolerance of fools and jerks cannot and should not be legislated into society. It's up to individuals to become mature enough to accept opposing viewpoints, without being compelled to launch a smear campaign every time they hear something they don't like.

Suppose what I am getting at is...our 1st Amendment protects us from the government and (to a degree) from other citizens, but if society is so intolerant of unpopular opinions that a person fears voicing them, then that society does not truly allow freedom of speech.
edit on 20-12-2015 by OpenMindedRealist because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: OpenMindedRealist

Sadly, that is exactly what happens these days.

Anyone with a contrary or not "mainstream" viewpoint, be it on race, religion, or the best flavour Pot Noodle now faces a crapstorm in RL, on the internet and elsewhere.

I always cringe when someone is forced to "apologise" for some viewpoint (whatever it may be) - I always think to myself, if that's what you believe, go with it, don't bend over backwards trying to accommodate everybody because that never works and in the end you look like a prat.

Politicians are the worst for it - so eager to please everybody, they end up upsetting someone, then backtrack over whatever it was they said or did to please whatever group it was that got offended. In the end, you get a paralised society - fearful over doing or saying anything for fear of upsetting somebody..

Newsflash - someone is always going to be upset over something you did. That's their problem, not yours.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   

a reply to: crazyewok
I don't disagree.

Tolerance of fools and jerks cannot and should not be legislated into society. It's up to individuals to become mature enough to accept opposing viewpoints, without being compelled to launch a smear campaign every time they hear something they don't like.

Suppose what I am getting at is...our 1st Amendment protects us from the government and (to a degree) from other citizens, but if society is so intolerant of unpopular opinions that a person fears voicing them, then that society does not truly allow freedom of speech.

If that opinion is so unpopular then there is obviously something wrong with it.

One has the right to that view and should have the right to voice it. And they should be free from legal consequences or acts of violence. But one can not legislate or restrict possible back lash without resticting freedom of speech the other.

Eg (and for the record I don’t believe this, this is only a example)

I could say I think all Jews are sub human trolls and should be gassed. And Hilter is hero to the human race.

Now should I have the right to say that ? (Which again I add I dont want to say)

Well yes.

Should I be free from the # storm of back lash and being called a vile human being? No.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: stumason
That's the problem. When you encourage every single person to seek justice for their perceived grievances, you end up with a litigious society full of people suing and protesting over hot coffee and chicken biscuits.

The courts are backed up, lips are tight, and everyone is a victim.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: stumason
a reply to: OpenMindedRealist

Sadly, that is exactly what happens these days.

Anyone with a contrary or not "mainstream" viewpoint, be it on race, religion, or the best flavour Pot Noodle now faces a crapstorm in RL, on the internet and elsewhere.

I always cringe when someone is forced to "apologise" for some viewpoint (whatever it may be) - I always think to myself, if that's what you believe, go with it, don't bend over backwards trying to accommodate everybody because that never works and in the end you look like a prat.

Politicians are the worst for it - so eager to please everybody, they end up upsetting someone, then backtrack over whatever it was they said or did to please whatever group it was that got offended. In the end, you get a paralised society - fearful over doing or saying anything for fear of upsetting somebody..

Newsflash - someone is always going to be upset over something you did. That's their problem, not yours.

Happend with my MP.

My local MP Tracy Crouche said that family’s in financial difficulty should maybe have a look at there expenses and cancel things like Sky subscription and got hit by back lash and forced to apologise when there was a very valid point.
Source

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   

a reply to: stumason
That's the problem. When you encourage every single person to seek justice for their perceived grievances, you end up with a litigious society full of people suing and protesting over hot coffee and chicken biscuits.

The courts are backed up, lips are tight, and everyone is a victim.

Now that is the problem.

Unless is 100% proven slander then no. One should not be sued for there opinion.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join