It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I think people are confusing PC with manners

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
If that opinion is so unpopular then there is obviously something wrong with it.

Strongly disagree there. Look at history; one of the patterns you see is that good ideas are often unpopular...right up until they become popular.

Sharing of unpopular ideas can only be beneficial. Open discourse is beneficial. Do you belong to the school of thought that believes bad ideas can 'infect' people?

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Quite! She had a valid point!

If I lost my job, I'd cut my Virgin sub, I'd probably not have such a snazzy car and I'd probably shop in Lidl - because I'd have to live within my means.

But people feel "entitled" - those who can't afford it still they think should have it and get it anyway, then bitch because they have trouble "making ends meet"..

My own personal bug bear is those who don't work, on long term benefits who complain about having their "income" cut...

Income?

It's not an income, it's a handout. If you want a bigger income, get a bloody job! It's not like there aren't any - even in 2007/2008/2009 during the height of the problems, there was plenty of work if you actually wanted it...

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: OpenMindedRealist

If that opinion is so unpopular then there is obviously something wrong with it.

Strongly disagree there. Look at history; one of the patterns you see is that good ideas are often unpopular...right up until they become popular.

Sharing of unpopular ideas can only be beneficial. Open discourse is beneficial. Do you belong to the school of thought that believes bad ideas can 'infect' people?

Never said you didn’t have the right to share unpopular ideas.

Just that your not free from the backlash and cant be without restricting Freedom of speech the other way.

Only thing you should be free of is Criminal action, Civil suites and violence.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   
this thread plows deep
It's kinda critical to keep this confusing news we get these days organized....

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Americans never used to be such wimps. We were tough and resilient. We didn't buckle at the knees because we heard something we didn't like. We shook it off as free speech and moved on.

America is emotionally retarded. GROW UP.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I agree, in today's media they label something that is rude as "non-PC" instead of just calling it rude, they then they spew rhetoric about why "PC" (a.k.a. being a decent person instead of rude and derogatory) is bad while "non-PC" is good.

It's almost as if they're WANTING us to be rude and derogatory to other people. That's been a pretty good way to divide the people in the past, seems like they're keeping that train rolling today.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

From what I've seen and experienced, it's those who think they are being PC (and therefore forcing their own views on others because of PC) that are the rudest and ill-mannered.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Not sure if this counts, but I think it's relevant.

I'm a member of a forum dedicated to a computer game. Players like to discuss the games, although some can get very hurt if others prefer a version that isn't their favourite. You have to make an allowance because, probably, a fair proportion of the contributors are very young.

A couple of months ago the forum staff disabled the 'LOL' and 'disagree' buttons because they were being used to 'harass' people...

It's right buggered the jokes thread. I mean, what's the point of posting in there if nobody can laugh at your joke?

It's worrying that people can feel 'harassed' if a post they make garners a few LOLs - even if it wasn't meant to be funny.

I'm not sure about the 'disagree' button, I know we can't have such a thing here either, but where's the harm in a laugh?

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
a reply to: crazyewok where have they banned carol singers. It used to be organised by, churches, but seeing as religion is waning in the uk not as many go to church instead choosing to spend their Sunday's differently these days. I don't think carol singers have been banned. Just a sign of the times, when less and less people are going to church. No one stops people saying merry Xmas. Unless you are referring to that hoax thread from a few days ago, which was posted from a satire website. I think maybe these things are worse in the USA, but then everything is. Where liberals are to blame for everything and half the PC nonsense is made up to produce the knee jerk reactions you speak of.

Im talking about petty bureaucratic council crap like this and this.

You don't think it's petty for a municipality to promote one religion over all others? Would you want Muslim carollers showing up uninvited to sing Allah-related tunes you have no interest in?

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: OpenMindedRealist
Does a free society shun people who don't exercise "good manners?" Should such people be shouted down, or silenced by force? Should they be villified by the MSM and SJW's to the point that they lose their jobs or their businesses fail?

Because that is what modern political correctness has become, and that's why it flies in the face of the 1st Amendment of the US Constitution.

I assume that's also why everyone I talk to in the real world is sick of the PC nonsense.

Not forced. But shunned? Yes. Shouted down? Sure. Told they are jerks? I hope so.

If they are high profile, they should know even better the consequences of what they publicly say that is offensive.

So, calling out people who are jerks is suddenly 'flying in the face of the 1st Amendment'? You have it backwards.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Urantia1111

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
a reply to: crazyewok where have they banned carol singers. It used to be organised by, churches, but seeing as religion is waning in the uk not as many go to church instead choosing to spend their Sunday's differently these days. I don't think carol singers have been banned. Just a sign of the times, when less and less people are going to church. No one stops people saying merry Xmas. Unless you are referring to that hoax thread from a few days ago, which was posted from a satire website. I think maybe these things are worse in the USA, but then everything is. Where liberals are to blame for everything and half the PC nonsense is made up to produce the knee jerk reactions you speak of.

Im talking about petty bureaucratic council crap like this and this.

You don't think it's petty for a municipality to promote one religion over all others? Would you want Muslim carollers showing up uninvited to sing Allah-related tunes you have no interest in?

I think the council and state should keep out and let the locals decide.

If Muslims want form there own singing bands fine. I can always politely turn them away at my door.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   

I think the worst part about the "PC culture" is that they feel so enlightened and superior in their views. They look at the opposing argument as bigoted and racist, leading to zero dialogue and no respect to people that they disagree with.

How can someone compromise or see healthy opposing opinions if you feel people that disagree with you as the worst people on the planet.

edit on 20-12-2015 by JDmOKI because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: 123143
Americans never used to be such wimps. We were tough and resilient. We didn't buckle at the knees because we heard something we didn't like. We shook it off as free speech and moved on.

America is emotionally retarded. GROW UP.

By "shook it off" do you mean ignored it? I don't remember any time like that. That isn't being strong either.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: stumason

From what I've seen and experienced, it's those who think they are being PC (and therefore forcing their own views on others because of PC) that are the rudest and ill-mannered

Probably because they tend to be the most over opinionated people on the planet.

My good friend is a Social Justice Warrior and he always reverts to yelling when I call him out. I think thats why we are good friends because I challenge him and don't just agree with everything he says like the people he hangs out with in college.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   

We could burn them!!.
What happened to a good ole fashioned burning eh?

But a polite burning of course my dear chap
edit on 20-12-2015 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Oh there is no confusion about PC.

Hypenated American names.

Gender neutral names lilke 'Ze','Zir' and 'Xyr'.

Utter nonsense.

Lets take the ops home country. For Example.

Politically correct universities 'are killing free speech

The funny part about it all is some words are changed because they are 'offensive'.

Then those same people turn around, and INSULT people they don't like with words like: Nazi,Bigot,Islamphobe,Homophobe,etc.

The whole thing is idiotic.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

We could burn them!!.

Er... what fuel would you propose to use for such a burning ?

I mean, climate change, global warming and all. Who knows who you could end up offending?

PC Nuts roasting on an open fire tra la la

Or

Non-Pc Nuts roasting on an open fire tra la la

Got to be inclusive

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

I've been around a while. It was as recently as the seventies.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: berenike

originally posted by: boymonkey74

We could burn them!!.

Er... what fuel would you propose to use for such a burning ?

I mean, climate change, global warming and all. Who knows who you could end up offending?

PC Nuts roasting on an open fire tra la la

Or

Non-Pc Nuts roasting on an open fire tra la la

Got to be inclusive

No cant use nuts, you may upset those with nuts allergys

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   

I got a nut allergy and I'm not offended.

I'll just sit back and wait for someone to come in and be offended for me

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join