It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unique Hebrew inscription found at Galilee

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Excavations at Kursi, on the Sea of Galilee, have uncovered a 1600 year old Hebrew inscription which has led researchers to believe that this was the Kursi mentioned in the New Testament.

Excavations at the Kursi site on the shores of the Sea of Galilee have uncovered an inscription in Hebrew letters engraved on a large marble slab, dating back ca. 1,600 years. No similar artifact has even been found before in Israel, and the finding confirms for the first time that the ancient settlement at the site was Jewish or Judeo-Christian.
The excavation is led by Dr. Haim Cohen and Prof. Michal Artzy of the Hatter Laboratory in the Recanati Institute for Maritime Studies at the University of Haifa, in cooperation with the Antiquities Authority and the Nature and Parks Authority's Kursi Beach site.

However, nothing could have prepared the researchers for an exceptional finding: A marble slab made from a single piece with dimensions of ca. 140 cm by 70 cm bearing an engraving written in the Aramaic language in Hebrew letters.

The researchers have already managed to decipher two words from the inscription: "amen" and the word "marmaria." This latter word is probably the word for "marble," although some scholars suggest that it could refer to Maria's great Rabbi, as 'mar' means Rabbi.

According to the researchers, an inscription in Aramaic in Hebrew letters dating to the year ca. 500 CE suggests that the settlement at the site was Jewish, or at least mixed. Accordingly, they added, the most reasonable assumption is that 500 years earlier the settlement would have been entirely Jewish.

"The presence of a Jewish site on the eastern shores of the Sea of Galilee is a very rare phenomenon. Until now we have not had any proof that Jewish settlements existed during this period along the eastern shores of the Sea of Galilee" Dr. Cohen explained. The combination of all the findings led the researchers to go back 2000 years, to Jesus's visits to the area as described in the New Testament, and particularly to the "Land of the Gederenes," a name that refers to Kursi.
According to the New Testament, Jesus came to Kursi after crossing the Sea of Galilee from one anchorage to another. Since this is the only harbor in the area, the scholars believe that this story, together with the inscription indicating the Jewish origins of the settlement, together provide archeological evidence that this site may indeed be the Kursi of the New Testament.

This seems to be a unique inscription in a number of ways. Contemporaneous dedications tend to be inlaid in mosaics on the floor, and so it is the first of its kind to be found in marble. It also boasts 8 lines of Hebrew script, which again is unusual as most dedications are said to be much shorter.

The stories of Jesus performing miracles at Kursi and its proximity to Galilee, this being the only harbour in the immediate area, alongside this newly uncovered plaque of Hebrew script provide a good indication that this is the Kursi mentioned in the New Testament.

For me this is more evidence of the validity of our stories and how they travel down through the generations.

Merry Christmas ATS.

Read more at:

Archaeology News Network

Science Daily
edit on 19-12-2015 by beansidhe because: Forgot my links!

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   
It says "JEZUS WUZ HERE"

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: HUMBLEONE

It's still being translated, but I would guess it must have been engraved for someone very important as it seems very grand. It will be exciting to see what it says.

(I very much doubt Jesus was a marble-graffitist, although happy to be proved wrong.)

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: beansidhe

It's still being translated, but I would guess it must have been engraved for someone very important as it seems very grand. It will be exciting to see what it says.

(I very much doubt Jesus was a marble-graffitist, although happy to be proved wrong.)

And to think, all this time, I was just being a smart ass?

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Zionists will stop at nothing! Even time travel!

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: HUMBLEONE

Hey, by the way. How do I look in my sunglasses? Cool? Do I look Cool? Yeh! I AM F$CKING AWESOME!

Oh yeh, ....and that tablet is cool. Maybe its an ancient bagel recipe?

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   

It says "JEZUS WUZ HERE"

Should the inscription be found to say that it would be pretty amazing given it is estimated to be around 1600 years old, and therefore, at the very least, some two hundred years after all of the Gospels are believed to have been written.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   

These Zionists! trying to steal the land 1500 hundred years before palestinians existed! Nefarious!

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: beansidhe

Nice find OP and right before Christmas too!

It just goes to show that our old stories always hold some elements of truth.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: dashen

These Zionists! trying to steal the land 1500 hundred years before palestinians existed! Nefarious!

Well they have been pretty good at hiding their Khazar heritage, cant have anything rock the official narrative of them being Abrahams children

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

The khazar lie still circulating eh?
So the yemenites, persian, and Spanish communiies going back almost 2000 years are khazars? Before khazars supposedly existed.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Well people are gonna buy it, so it really doesn't matter, jesus all the way!!!

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Anaana

It says "JEZUS WUZ HERE"

Should the inscription be found to say that it would be pretty amazing given it is estimated to be around 1600 years old, and therefore, at the very least, some two hundred years after all of the Gospels are believed to have been written.

Well La dee dah, Ms. Archeologist! Aren't you just a smarty pants!

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: dashen

Exactly! Mossad man! They got that time travel sh$t down! They are so good, they make your think it was then, but then is now. Freaky.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 10:58 PM
link   
The Zionists are fake Jews. Yeshua is the one who tented among us. He was made flesh. We always wanted God to have hands and a face. He did that for us. Jesus/Yeshua is and was the Word, mentioned in John, who was with God, and was God, and was made flesh and tented among us. Wouldnt you want to do that if You were God?
edit on 19-12-2015 by visitedbythem because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

If i were a god i think i would be more mighty than some roman nails and 2x4s from home depot

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Well La dee dah, Ms. Archeologist! Aren't you just a smarty pants!

Miss Not-even-remotely-an-archaeologist-just-in-possession-of-basic-reading-skills, thank you, but you're correct, in that my pants are very smart indeed.

And I can only presume your knuckles are prone to scrape the ground.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 01:39 AM
link   

It says "JEZUS WUZ HERE"

Bit early for Him.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 02:48 AM
link   
a reply to: dashen

Are you sure you don't think that already?

Being Pagan I don't care anyway because everything the desert religions blast off at the world comes from older traditions that have been messed around with, nothing original here.

Even the dependence on archaeology means little in reality because people had to settle in fertile areas in order to live and have water. What you need to answer is why did your Yahweh have to get an army to move them on or kill them if he actually owned that little bit of fertile real estate? After all a God is a God with endless powers - or not and just a war lord after better land.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 03:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

That's what I loved about the find too. Corroboration that in our folklore there is nearly always a strong element of fact.
Merry Christmas!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join