It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Six GOP Hopefuls Vow To Enshrine Anti-Gay Discrimination Into Law

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: WeAreAWAKE

Of course...so I ask, what is the OP about then?

Presidential hopefuls that endorse discrimination in the name of religion.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Here is the quote by the way...

"which would prohibit the federal government from "taking discriminatory action against a person on the basis that such person believes or acts in accordance with a religious belief or moral conviction that: (1) marriage is or should be recognized as the union of one man and one woman, or (2) sexual relations are properly reserved to such a marriage.""

This isn't giving anyone the right to harm anyone else. It simply protects the religious from persecution for believing, saying and acting upon their beliefs and values.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   

eople have a right to say what they believe and follow their beliefs WITHIN THE LAW. As long as they do so, there shouldn't be an issue. Someone here appears to have an issue with that.

I guess you didn't notice how those six candidates have pledged and vowed to allow business owners to discriminate against whoever the hell they want to.....

not just gays. Also blacks....and browns....and people who wear 'foreign garb'.......

If a business is open to the public, then the ENTIRE PUBLIC gets to expect equal treatment.

This is hard to comprehend.....how?????????????????

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

Of course...so I ask, what is the OP about then?

Presidential hopefuls that endorse discrimination in the name of religion.

What discrimination? It doesn't give anyone the right to break ANY law. The laws on the books protect people from discrimination. This would do nothing more than protect the religious from discrimination against them for their beliefs. It doesn't allow them to fire someone because they are gay...etc. In fact...it would protect them from being fired (maybe) for not supporting the gay lifestyle.

Fair is fair.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   
WE should ban all these Christian sharia attempts like they do in the south trying to ban Muslim sharia

Wouldn’t that be consistent?

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

eople have a right to say what they believe and follow their beliefs WITHIN THE LAW. As long as they do so, there shouldn't be an issue. Someone here appears to have an issue with that.

I guess you didn't notice how those six candidates have pledged and vowed to allow business owners to discriminate against whoever the hell they want to.....

not just gays. Also blacks....and browns....and people who wear 'foreign garb'.......

If a business is open to the public, then the ENTIRE PUBLIC gets to expect equal treatment.

This is hard to comprehend.....how?????????????????

Will you just answer one question without spewing bull crap. Where does it say that this would bypass every other law that protects individuals???? Because unless it does, all your examples are wrong.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
WE should ban all these Christian sharia attempts like they do in the south trying to ban Muslim sharia

Wouldn’t that be consistent?

Ahhhhh. Now I get it. You just hate religious people. Ummm...that makes you a bigot by definition. Not that you care.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   

If it doesn't bypass existing laws and won't allow for discrimination, then it's meaningless and adds yet another layer of complexity to a legal system that's in desperate need of simplifying.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   

What discrimination?

How about refusing housing to a single mother based on the religious belief that sexual relations are properly reserved for marriage.

It doesn't give anyone the right to break ANY law.

No, they want to change the laws to where doing the above would be legal.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   

What discrimination?

How about refusing housing to a single mother based on the religious belief that sexual relations are properly reserved for marriage.

Yet again...WHERE DOES IT SAY THIS SUPERSEDES EVERY OTHER LAW THAT PROTECTS PEOPLE? If it doesn't...than your example is inaccurate.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   
"which would prohibit the federal government from "taking discriminatory action against a person on the basis that such person believes or acts in accordance with a religious belief or moral conviction that: (1) marriage is or should be recognized as the union of one man and one woman, or (2) sexual relations are properly reserved to such a marriage.""

They are perfectly allowed to believe this. As long as they only apply it only to themselves…and not project it to others…

If they do they are potentially abridging the rights of others like that lady and the marriage licenses.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   
This bill is a ruse. Religions are already protected so it defeats the purpose.

All it is is to get more votes.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

They are perfectly allowed to believe this. As long as they only apply it only to themselves…and not project it to others…

If they do they are potentially abridging the rights of others like that lady and the marriage licenses.

Nope...you're wrong. They are allowed to project it to others. They can't force it upon others however. But they have every right to stand on a corner and speak their beliefs.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   

You're all wrong, I don't hate religion. I'm a very religious person, in fact.

I'm just consistent.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

Agreed! Just part of the game.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   

I was expounding upon the "slippery slope" that this opens up.

It's a backwards-focused plan, just like Jim Crow;
if public business owners are allowed to decide to refuse service to "gays", what's to stop them from deciding to refuse service to "blacks," or asians or arabs or mexicans or people wearing "Atheist" shirts...... or WHOEVER.......
ANY of those demographic groups could be "declared abominations" according to "The Bible" and now this Fundie Weirdo faction gets more attention, and their "annointed one" (Cruz) just keeps signing papers to ....

to......

you tell me!!!!

We cannot let this happen.
edit on 12/20/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: slippery, not 'slipper'

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Of course they do have the right to espouse most beliefs.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Consistent is fair and fair is equal. So long as what is good for one is good for the other...we are good. But as you know, there are many here that want what they want for only the groups they agree with. The rest of them get nothing.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeAreAWAKE

What discrimination?

Yet again...WHERE DOES IT SAY THIS SUPERSEDES EVERY OTHER LAW THAT PROTECTS PEOPLE? If it doesn't...than your example is inaccurate.

As I stated they want to change the laws I will quote what you posted notice the bold on my part.

which would prohibit the federal government from "taking discriminatory action against a person on the basis that such person believes or acts in accordance with a religious belief or moral conviction

An action would be denying housing(aka buy rent home) on the basis of their religious belief. At this time it would be illegal to do so, but they want to make it where such a thing would be legal.

They can believe whatever they want and no one would care. People do care when they try to change the laws so they can use their religion as a weapon.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

First...I apologize. I'm making the assumption from some of your posts that you are pro-gay and anti-religious. Maybe I'm incorrect. But let me say this. Fair and equal are the goals. And that HAS TO apply to everyone whether you like them, agree with them or not. That includes the KKK and the Nazi party. If one person gets rights...so does everyone else.

So until you decide to close black-only clubs, white-only golf courses, Muslim-only mosques, etc...we have a problem. Personally I believe...let them have their own places where others are excluded. It allows them to have a safe-haven where they can be with others like themselves. Take that away...and what happens? You get pissed off people that learn hate.

But that is just my opinion.
edit on 12/20/2015 by WeAreAWAKE because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join