It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa releases stunning new image of Earth taken from a spacecraft orbiting the moon

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: HardBoiled

What part of "shadows do not fit the landscape" was confusing to you?

All of it. The mere sentence makes no logical sense. And you were the one who suggested that it wasn't the "real" landscape anyway.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: NeoSpace

More CGI/Photoshop BS from NASA pushing the globe Earth propaganda.

Oh my! You aren't serious are you?

Tip for NASA: You guys should hire some artists from EA and Ubisoft, they produce convincing globe models.

Why it has been known that the Earth wasn't flat since Eratosthenes.

www.astro.cornell.edu...

www.eg.bucknell.edu...

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

It was. It's a composite image, put together into one.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Still beautiful anyways. Imagine living on the moon and being able to see hurricanes forming in the Atlantic... Or the smoke of a hundred wildfires covering the west coast. Up there it looks peaceful and amazing.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Still beautiful anyways.

Here you go a photo from DSCOVR from a million miles away.

www.space.com...

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   
The earth is round. You can see it's curvature at altitude from an airliner. The horizon is there because of the curvature of the earth it's why even if you climb the tallest mountain you can't see the whole world. Why do different parts of the world experience day and night at different times, think about it!

I am in Canada I can pick up the phone and call my uncle in Austraila at 7am wake him outa bed and he will say "why the hell did you call me in the middle of the night?!!?" Because he is on the other side of the freaking SPHERE!

Why would you believe the earth to be flat what evidence supports this ancient theory?

If you believe the earth is flat by all means find the edge and take a picture of it for us. Please do it! Please just start traveling west and keep going and going and going, just don't be surprised when you end up back where you started

The third rock is a pretty nice lookin planet.

a reply to: NeoSpace

edit on 18-12-2015 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Ove38

You can clearly tell it's a telephoto lens...

Awesome photo.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

You'd think they would clarify it as you did. Thank you.
edit on 18-12-2015 by NewzNose because: typo

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Thanks for posting RoScoLaz4.. Also Well worth to open Daily Mail link on thread started as lots of additional pics and the comments earn some chuckles..

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
Two different moonrise photos:

Both were taken from Earth.
Is this proof that we have two different moons....
or the moon grows and shrinks?

This proves it!

The moon is fake.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ove38

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: RoScoLaz4

How do you explain the small Earth in Apollo images ?

www.hq.nasa.gov...

Different cameras with different focal lengths.

Anyone can do the same thing with say (for example) the Moon, if they had different focal length lenses of camera settings. It isn't a mystery:

The Apollo astronauts used different focal lengths for the images they took. For example, here are two images of the earth taken from Apollo 11. The first one is taken with a focal length of 80 mm. The second one was 250 mm. Again, it isn't a conspiracy or a mystery; it's photography.

Focal Length: 80mm

Focal Length: 250mm

edit on 12/18/2015 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: eNumbra

originally posted by: butcherguy
Two different moonrise photos:

Both were taken from Earth.
Is this proof that we have two different moons....
or the moon grows and shrinks?

This proves it!

The moon is fake.

Clearly, the first pic shows the Man in the Moon and it's coloring proves, once and for all that it is made of cheddar cheese.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: tsurfer2000h

Still beautiful anyways.

Here you go a photo from DSCOVR from a million miles away.

www.space.com...

Thanks. Is that zoomed in?

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

The other makes it look like the moon is about 1,000 miles from the Earth.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: swanne

All of it. The mere sentence makes no logical sense.

Are there any grammatical or spelling mistakes that are confusing you?

And you were the one who suggested that it wasn't the "real" landscape anyway.

I was suggesting that the shadows don't fit the landscape. I don't see why this is going over your head.

Where are all those shadows in this pic?

And why is the horizon completely covered by shadow in the op pic?
edit on 18-12-2015 by HardBoiled because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Look around this place for the answer. There are many.

You weren't refering to something that was said in this thread?

Pretty random comment then.....

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ove38

originally posted by: Zaphod58

How do you explain the small Earth in Apollo images ?

www.hq.nasa.gov...

Oh please come on for freaks sake. I have drunk 1 and half bottles of red wine whilst watching Jessica Jones so my ability to refrain from stating what 99.9% of folks are thinking is difficult (the 0.1% are the flat earthers!!!!)

Please please please, take a camera with a zoom lens and take several pictures of some distance object ,without moving your feet one freaking inch, at different zoom lengths. Then, examine the photos and come back and state the above without feeling like a complete idiot!

Time and time again basic science is cast into the bin in order to support some lunatic conspiracy, in this case the physics of optics.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: HardBoiled

That's what has me bugged as well... Even at a different position you should see some shadows in the real picture, but there aren't any, as opposed to the one that looks fake.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: NewzNose

"The image was composed from a series of images".

Why?

Couldn't get a single decent pic?

That's not how the LRO narrow angle camera works. It scans line by line. I knew the instant I saw that this was released and from LRO that it would spawn all kinds of misunderstandings, misconceptions, and problems in general. It's sad but I now groan every time NASA releases a public relations pic like this from a scientific instrument like LROC.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU0408
a reply to: HardBoiled

That's what has me bugged as well... Even at a different position you should see some shadows in the real picture

No. Not unless you're over the lunar terminator. Apollo was NEVER in a polar lunar orbit. LRO is in a polar lunar orbit so that it can map the whole surface of the moon. It will therefore ALWAYS view earthrise as it crosses the lunar terminator. Think about it. As it comes over from the far side of the moon it (pretty much) has to be relatively near one of the poles. The line of the lunar terminator will also always intersect a point somewhere near the pole and therefore the sun will be at a much lower angle and you'll see much longer shadows than usually seen when viewing earthrise from an equatorial or even an inclined but non-polar orbit of the moon. In order to get a shot from a non-polar orbit of earthrise with significant shadows like that you would have to time it juuust right so that the terminator was located right at the limb of the moon as seen from earth so that you would be over the terminator as earth rises. That's far less likely and I don't know that that was ever the case for an Apollo earthrise shot.
edit on 18-12-2015 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join