It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa releases stunning new image of Earth taken from a spacecraft orbiting the moon

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   
It doesn't look real. Due to a recent discovery, I am perplexed as to whether or not we live on a flat planet..A new day tomorrow should tell.

a reply to: RoScoLaz4

edit on 10 27 2013 by donktheclown because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

No, it wouldn't. It's all in how the LRO is oriented.

Yes, only Earth would be upside down in a pic from the southern hemisphere with the moon's horizon below the Earth. Big difference.

It has everything to do with the angles in the picture. If the LRO wasn't rolled, you'd have an "upside down" earth or the craters at the top of the picture.

It has nothing to do with the relation between the moon angles and the Earth angles. No matter how you turn the cam, the relative position stays the same.

You said that you couldn't imagine how that view of Africa is possible, let alone to have it in a "horizontal position like a globe". I've merely explained to you how it's possible in my post to help you imagine it.

I was talking about the angle at which the Earth is viewed in that pic, together with the supposed orbit and position of the LRO.

It has nothing to do with the Earth's rotation. Your explanation ignores 66% of the proposed situation.

I am aware that the Earth is turnng. Thank you.

edit on 18-12-2015 by HardBoiled because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

The LRO photo was taken at the terminator between light and dark,

Where does it say that?

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: HardBoiled

On the moon, we get a glimpse of the crater Compton, which is located just beyond the eastern limb of the moon, on the lunar farside.

If it's on the far side, and the earth can't be seen from too far on the far side, the LRO was on or near the terminator.
edit on 12/18/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Yes, only Earth would be upside down in a pic from the southern hemisphere with the moon's horizon below the Earth. Big difference.

Yes, you're right on that point and I was wrong. Good call.

I was talking about the angle at which the Earth is viewed in that pic, together with the supposed orbit and position of the LRO.

I'm not sure what you're finding impossible regarding the position of the LRO and, from what I gathered, how Africa is situated in a vertical position. I'm pretty confident I offered a sound explanation about everything you've called into question. The orientation of the LRO's camera can be shifted to show the continent in an upright position.

I might be wrong, but if the LRO's "bottom" (for all intents and purposes) was directly facing the surface, the whole picture would be slanted and Africa would look horizontal.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 07:27 PM
link   

And what's the significance of it being near the terminator with regards to what we see in this pic?

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 07:34 PM
link   

It's the division between the sunlit side, and the side that isn't lit by the sun. That means the surface is darker and has more shadows than if it was solely on the sunlit side.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Can you draw that division line into the pic in question?

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: HardBoiled

The division is the ground in the pic, genius.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: swanne

Yes, and where on the ground is this divide, in the pic, oh smartass?

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

I'm not sure what you're finding impossible regarding the position of the LRO and, from what I gathered, how Africa is situated in a vertical position.

At least you are showing progress. Now you are only ignoring 33% of the equation. Maybe next time you will be able to communicate to me with a whopping 100% understanding of the aspects of this specific discussion.
edit on 18-12-2015 by HardBoiled because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Nevermind
edit on 12/18/2015 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Still looks like a stock photo that was enlarged and then place of some portion of the moon to make it look good. Seems like the proportions are out of whack. I found four stock pictures on google and they all are similar, taken at different times and from different position one of them is supposedly from Hubble.

the moon is pretty much the same distance from the earth as it was in 1969 so wh7y is it 300 times larger?

There is no atmosphere on the moon to enlarge it naturally like that.

would a zoom lens really make that much of a difference in this photo?

Are there photographic cameras or computers imaging equipment on board?

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

How did Hubble manage to image earth from LEO?

The Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter Camera, or LROC, is a system of three cameras mounted on the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO) that capture high resolution photos of the lunar surface.

lroc.sese.asu.edu...

The LRO, again, was less than 100 miles from the surface. Just how big should the moon appear from that close?

Camera settings make all the difference. I can take a picture with a 200 mm lens and get a decent picture. Put an 800 mm lens on and it's a great picture.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: ngchunter

How conveeeeenient...* church lady voice *

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Well Thanks for that informative information

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 10:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: RoScoLaz4

Anyone else see the wolf face made with the clouds and shadows. One of the eyes is just under the bulged out part of Africa. I don't have any fancy editors to outline it maybe someone else could if you guys see it.

Maybe a fox
edit on 18-12-2015 by Observationalist because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 10:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: donktheclown
It doesn't look real. Due to a recent discovery, I am perplexed as to whether or not we live on a flat planet..A new day tomorrow should tell.

Even the ancient greeks knew you were wrong about that. No, earth is not flat.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Try reading the thread.
a reply to: ngchunter

I read every post including yours.

I am asking what the exact orbit is. Your post does not contain this information.

I explained to you exactly why the photo looks like that. You want the exact orbit? FINE, HERE IT IS:
Epoch = 2457307.5 JD
Orbit relative to the center of the moon:
eccentricity = 0.03600320292789663
longitude of ascending node = 322.4560628152711
semi-major axis = 0.00001224203464093565 AU
perilune distance = 0.00001180128218350770 AU
argument of perilune = 264.4393695937462
mean anomaly = 114.7845693888000
Inclination = 87.86116924258300
edit on 18-12-2015 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 10:28 PM
link   

It doesn't even have to say that, it's a virtually guaranteed consequence of its polar orbit as I already described, which you ignored.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join