It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Modern Political Correctness

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
a reply to: ketsuko

I can't help it if the correct term for the violence bothers you.

I didn't say whether it bothered me or not.

You asked for an example of conservative PC terms and I provided that.

Your post is proof positive of exactly what I laid-out in the OP. You don't like the term someone else uses because it does not fit your politically correct definition of it.

It isn't about politically correct.

It's about using the words that correctly describe what is going on.

I could call it religiously motivated violence and THAT would be politically correct.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   

a reply to: whyamIhere

PC has done more to divide our Country than any other single thing.

Would you agree that "conservative correctness" plays as much of a part on the division as any other aspect?

It wasn't conservatives that created the hypenated American name, and it sure has been the conservatives that feel the need to create a door sign that says gender neutral.

It is the PC crowd that penailzes people from saying what they HONESTLY feel.

Until we get rid of PC We can't even begin to address the problems in this country.

Because there is NO open and honest communication between the people.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   

a reply to: neo96

How about resurgence? The term is being used more frequently since Trump entered the race. It was merely a point of observation, not of political dispute.

PC terminology has been used since I first joined.

It's ALWAYS been around.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Then I would say Christian extremists are the groups like KKK and Westboro, and Christian terrorists are folks like the Lord's Resistance Army in Africa. Correct terminology?

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   

I wasn't giving examples of PC I was giving examples of CC.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I can't help it if the correct term for the violence bothers you.

I didn't say whether it bothered me or not.

You asked for an example of conservative PC terms and I provided that.

Your post is proof positive of exactly what I laid-out in the OP. You don't like the term someone else uses because it does not fit your politically correct definition of it.

It isn't about politically correct.

It's about using the words that correctly describe what is going on.

I could call it religiously motivated violence and THAT would be politically correct.

Ok, but the point is that you are making a point of contention about the words other people use to describe something. It's still rooted in the same premise. You don't like what was said or how it was said, and you then make it a political issue.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

Then I would say Christian extremists are the groups like KKK and Westboro, and Christian terrorists are folks like the Lord's Resistance Army in Africa. Correct terminology?

The KKK is not really Christian.

You are more likely looking for Christian Identity.

Are you trying to get me to deny that there are Christian extremists or violent Christians? I won't do that. They do exist.
edit on 17-12-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

I wasn't giving examples of PC I was giving examples of CC.

But since the theory is that Conservative Correctness is to mirror Political Correctness than it has to follow the same rules except it uses language the right finds acceptable.

Therefore, my post stands. You only listed one term that would be an example.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   

If they call themselves Christians then they're Christians. They may not be good Christians but Christians all the same.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

It wasn't conservatives that created the hypenated American name, and it sure has been the conservatives that feel the need to create a door sign that says gender neutral.

I covered that in the OP. The OP includes both sides, Neo.

It is the PC crowd that penailzes people from saying what they HONESTLY feel.

Yes, on both sides.

Until we get rid of PC We can't even begin to address the problems in this country.

Because there is NO open and honest communication between the people.

Agreed. I've given an olive branch for all of us to recognize the issue is on both sides of the political spectrum.

Can you and I start with the open and honest communication and agree on that?

PC terminology has been used since I first joined.

It's ALWAYS been around.

I don't dispute that.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

If they call themselves Christians then they're Christians. They may not be good Christians but Christians all the same.

But the poster in question was looking for a Christian group. The KKK is not a group based around its religious identity. Christian Identity is more what the poster is looking for.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: amicktd
Basically there were people who were raised to have manners. Then there were others that were raised without manners. That seems to be the difference to me.

I agree with this to an extent - but this modern PC-ness goes beyond that. It is using language and the policing of language to marginalize opposing views. It's Orwellian. And I say this as a left of center independent.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Left Wing PC = disclaimers and redefining and blame-shifting (i.e. "denazification")

Conservative PC = reality with no redefining

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   

But since the theory is that Conservative Correctness is to mirror Political Correctness than it has to follow the same rules except it uses language the right finds acceptable.

Therefore, my post stands. You only listed one term that would be an example.

Fine since we can agree on at least one term then let's start there. We agree that CC then exists and that is the example.

Also, I disagree on the Pro-Abortion comment though. It's not Pro-Abortion. It's Pro-Choice because it's about having choices. Pro-Abortion would mean advocating Abortion as the only option which isn't the case.

It would be like calling Pro-Life Anti-Choice which it is not.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Left Wing PC = disclaimers and redefining and blame-shifting (i.e. "denazification")

I provided an example earlier in which the conservatives have defined acts of violence from Muslims with specific terms. If Obama or anyone on the Left does not use that specific term or phrase, they become outraged.

How is that not conservative political correctness?

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

Then why is it that the only "choice" the pro-choice crowd ever advocates for is abortion?

I never see pro-choice people arguing in favor of adoption or abstinence which are also both choices.

And this is why we on the right call it pro-abortion.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

More like:

Left PC= Attempt at replacing offensive language with neutral language. Sometimes taken way too far.

Right PC= Attempt at replacing any language not approved of with subtle offensive language while claiming a false moral superiority.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Then why is it that the only "choice" the pro-choice crowd ever advocates for is abortion?

I never see pro-choice people arguing in favor of adoption or abstinence which are also both choices.

And this is why we on the right call it pro-abortion.

Maybe because you choose not to hear their argument???

Maybe because Abortion is what the "Pro-life" crowd is screaming about???

Maybe because Adoption isn't being addressed by either side and everyone knows that is already included in having a choice???

Maybe because abstinence is a failed policy idea proven over and over again while education about sex and the realities of it does work???

Have you bothered to asked Pro-Choice activists the same question because I'm not an activist??

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Nice write up.

It's good to remember that before the left became the authoritarians on the proper use of language, the religious and conservative were.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: introvert

Nice write up.

It's good to remember that before the left became the authoritarians on the proper use of language, the religious and conservative were.

It seems that it's always been a game of back and forth in that respect. Which I think is the whole point of this op, right???

To illustrate how PC is coming from both sides???

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join