It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Modern Political Correctness

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

They were blocking the road.

They are pedestrians and even if they are blocking the road doesn't give you the right to run them over. He went around the car ahead of him which was stopped and waiting for them to clear the road and drove straight into the crowd of people.

You can't just run people over because they might be crossing the street illegally. It wasn't an accident either. He was stopped and behind another car which was also stopped. He just figured they were thugs and needed to be run over and so he did it. There is no justification for it. I've detailed it out clearly and with pictures and video showing what happened in another thread if you want to view it.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I would just like to point-out a simple observation that I believe is very telling.

Not one Leftist or liberal has denied the accusations against the Left, in regards to PC, that was highlighted in the OP.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   

So, now you are saying that even when we change the language to describe what we see without bias, we are still wrong? This is PC from the leftist POV. You take it to the moral level, so when you catch someone not following your preferred speech imperatives, you feel that person is not simply mistaken, but immoral. And that gives you the moral imperative to basically "shove your morality" down their throat.

I may disagree with you from my side of things, but that's it. You are mistaken or wrong, not evil.

I'm not sure you changed the language at all. I don't remember you ever calling them protesters to begin with but maybe I missed it. The fact is all protesters were labeled as looters. That is just factually not true. I'm not saying to call them all protesters. Call the protesters protesters and the looters looters.

Don't get all whiny now either. I'm not shoving anything down you let alone my morality. I thought we were discussing different examples of PC speech. Now apparently you want to cry victim because I see things differently.

Why the hell are you bringing "Evil" into this anyway??? You're just getting defensive now and claiming I'm attacking you somehow and we are just talking.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

Watch it carefully ... they are actively attempting to impede him and banking on intimidating him and keeping him from going forward. He did not simply gun it and plow into them; he was easing forward and giving them every chance to move, but they piled on and tried to stop him.

If they got bumped by him, whose fault was it? He had as much right to go about his business as anyone else there had to go about there's, so why was their right to stand in the road and impede him suddenly paramount?

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

We're going way off topic, don't ya think?

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   

No, I am not.

I am telling you have the game is played.

Many claim that racism really is a game of who has the power. The claim is that the ones in power are the ones who can be racist, not the minority.

All right, a similar effect exists here. Those who have the power to shape the language have the power to shape public morality when it comes to PC. In this case it's the left. Look up the Overton Window. It explains quite a bit. Since the left and their notions of PC define how we speak and thus define so-called public morality, you feel that you are on the side of right because you are coming from the side of publically/media endorsed popular opinion. It is how you "shove your morality down our throats." Since you feel like all the world is "on your side," it makes you feel justified calling those who disagree with you racists, bigots and homophobes. You feel morally justified.

link   

I don't need to watch that video. I included it in the original thread about it alone with two other videos which show what happened from multiple locations. You're also off topic. Like I said if you want to know the truth go find the original thread where I take great care and effort to show how you are in fact incorrect.

"Got bumped"??? Nice how you downplay a girl getting stuck under his wheel for a few moments while others are trying to pull her to safety. Give me a break.

Unbiased is a word you shouldn't even use.

link   

originally posted by: introvert

Yes, and no. Sometimes, to explore the ways in which speech shapes a narrative, examples must be used.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   

I didn't. You did.

changed your language in an unbias way

Pardon me for simply following up using your own language.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Yes, and no. Sometimes, to explore the ways in which speech shapes a narrative, examples must be used.

Then proceed.

I'd hate to stifle free speech.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Yes yes....Oh the left the left the left. The left is responsible of all the evil in the world right. The right are just a bunch of f*cking angels and victims of the Left and gays and atheists and whoever.

I've heard it all before you broken record. At least some of the left can admit when they're wrong. You seem to be unable to see your wrongs or those you side with regardless of what is presented to you.

So go ahead and blame the left for everything and think you're on the side of those who are like Jesus himself and never sin. I don't care.

I find it unbelievable that even a topic about how both the Right and Left are guilty of something, still you insist that it's all the left. You're hopeless. I'm done here oh perfect one. May I be excused from your divine rightness so I don't have to read your BS any longer???

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   

I didn't. You did.

changed your language in an unbias way

Pardon me for simply following up using your own language.

Aww....how very petty of you. Let me correct it then.

"Without bias" should never be a term you use. Happy now???

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

It's good to remember that before the left became the authoritarians on the proper use of language...

I think this not so neatly boxed up as you're suggesting. This is more than just a pendulum swing one way or the other

Every single time you hear someone call out the left - they are asserting their own kind of political correctness. No difference. Then of course it goes the other way too

If you're going to choose a side - you're going to see it all lean either one way or another

The fact that we're all so busy (and concerned) with any of this is because we've reached a point where we really don't want to talk to each other - and we don't want to have to talk to each other

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   

I never said "only conservatives".

I never said you did, but it's explicit in the term "conservative correctness", unless I'm blind.

True, but that "new form" is not limited to one side of the political spectrum.

Yes it is. Your example of "conservative correctness" is incomparable to political correctness.

Take for instance the rocket scientist who was reduced to tears for wearing a t-shirt, or Sir Tim Hunt ran out of his job, his society and his eminent career for making a joke. It's not like they were bashing jesus or something. People say it is a phenomenon of the left because it is, not because it is conservatively correct to do so.
edit on 17-12-2015 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

Every single time you hear someone call out the left - they are asserting their own kind of political correctness. No difference. Then of course it goes the other way too

The difference is that one is true and the other is not.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   

How about putting a professor on administrative leave because she said Christians and Muslims worship the same God???

www.abovetopsecret.com...

But I'm sure that doesn't count either, right???

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Yes yes....Oh the left the left the left. The left is responsible of all the evil in the world right. The right are just a bunch of f*cking angels and victims of the Left and gays and atheists and whoever.

And you were accusing me of getting overly dramatic? This is about laying blame. This is about the reality of public discourse.

I've heard it all before you broken record. At least some of the left can admit when they're wrong. You seem to be unable to see your wrongs or those you side with regardless of what is presented to you.

I am telling you and so are others that politically correct doctrine is enshrined as policy in a lot of places: speech codes at universities, corporate HR conduct codes, curriculum at the public school level, media practice, etc.

Do you deny that? It is powerful, pervasive and it shapes public views on morality and discourse, the speech we use and the thoughts we allow ourselves to express.

I find it unbelievable that even a topic about how both the Right and Left are guilty of something, still you insist that it's all the left. You're hopeless. I'm done here oh perfect one. May I be excused from your divine rightness so I don't have to read your BS any longer???

Find me a case where your so-called conservative correctness has actual power to force you to comply with it in public life in some way. Is there a speech code? Is there a media practice? The last attempt was likely Freedom Fries, and those got rightly laughed out of the public square.

Now, I think that we are at an end of productive discourse on this topic for now.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 08:56 PM
link   

That's a good example. Though paid administrative leave isn't as dire as losing jobs, I would say that is indeed an example of free speech being suppressed, though it conflicts with the right of the school to uphold its religious principles.

This is their statement of faith, which is the foundation of their entire curriculum.

The doctrinal statement of Wheaton College, reaffirmed annually by its Board of Trustees, faculty, and staff, provides a summary of biblical doctrine that is consonant with evangelical Christianity. The statement accordingly reaffirms salient features of the historic Christian creeds, thereby identifying the College not only with the Scriptures but also with the reformers and the evangelical movement of recent years. The statement also defines the biblical perspective which informs a Wheaton education. These doctrines of the church cast light on the study of nature and man, as well as on man's culture.

This sounds honest and straight forward, giving possible employees the choice to opt out before they get hired. On the other hand, other institutions of higher-learning claim to uphold free speech.
edit on 17-12-2015 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   

I'm not denying anything. I've said the whole time that it's happening everywhere but it's on both sides. You are the one denying it because you're too damn perfect to see the right does it too. Even when using an example that you agreed with. There is just no way to find common ground with you or to have a conversation without you being always right and me bring totally wrong misinformed I guess.

So you're perfect in every way and I'm done with this topic now. Thanks for all the laughs.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Thanks for giving me some credit, but I'm going to leave this discussion now. No offense to you or anything we'll have to pick it up some other time or on some other topic.

Peace man.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join