It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Modern Political Correctness

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   
One term that has begun to once again make a popular comeback, with the media and political discussions all across the internet, is "political correctness". Donald Trump and his style of political discourse has played a role in it's resurgence, from both sides of the debate.

We often see the term tossed-around very casually in our discussions and I wanted to put a little perspective to it's origins and usage to better inform people as to what "political correctness" (referred to as "PC" from here forward) actually means.

Modern PC began, as one might expect, in the Leftist movements and on university campuses. The social and cultural evolution was in full swing, and left-leaning people began to question whether the language and terms we use were all-encompassing and in spirit with the cultural evolution.

Debra L. Shultz said that "throughout the 1970s and 1980s, the New Left, feminists, and progressives... used their term 'politically correct' ironically, as a guard against their own orthodoxy in social change efforts.

Stuart Hall suggests one way in which the original use of the term may have developed into the modern one:
According to one version, political correctness actually began as an in-joke on the left: radical students on American campuses acting out an ironic replay of the Bad Old Days BS (Before the Sixties) when every revolutionary groupuscule had a party line about everything. They would address some glaring examples of sexist or racist behaviour by their fellow students in imitation of the tone of voice of the Red Guards or Cultural Revolution Commissar: "Not very 'politically correct', Comrade!"

It appears as though the PC movement began as an introspective movement. A movement in which leftists "self-policed" one another in their political circles. Perhaps it can be better described as a code of conduct or moral guideline.

But as that movement itself evolved, it seeped in to the mainstream political and cultural paradigm and became a political tool of it's own. So the language began to change, ever so slightly, to the point that even people outside of the liberal political circles began to self-police as well. It became insensitive, offensive and "politically incorrect" to use certain words and phrases, such as "retarded" or "black". New terms were created like "mentally-challenged" or "African-American".

I don't think one could argue against the idea that the liberal version of PC has gone a bit too far in some aspects. While it may be correct in it's original intent, in that we should be all-inclusive and sensitive to the feelings of others, at what point does it cross a line in to shaming people in to self-policing?
There is another interesting aspect of this that spawned from the self-policing Leftist movements. A counter to the liberal PC that has been coined "conservative correctness". Conservative correctness is different in that it was/is not self-policing to ensure people were not offended or excluded. The term is used to describe actions or beliefs of those that contradict the traditional conservative dogma and tradition. It is also used as a tool in conversation or debate to shut down certain ideas or speech, similar to the effect radical Leftist PC can have. It is not uncommon to see conservatives claim someone or something is trying to force thought or deny free speech through the a PC filter.

A tactic that is popular among conservatives is to claim they are fighting against the PC movement. Many believe there is a conspiracy by Leftists to push this PC agenda and as we can see from the last Republican debate, appearing to stand against any percieved threat of forced PC is an effective way of gaining appeal among a group that believes the PC conspiracy is real.

An example of this would, again, be Donald Trump. He recently made comments that he was in favor of banning Muslim immigrants in to the US. Whether or not we agree with that is not within the scope of this thread, but when confronted on his remarks he had this to say:

I wrote something today that I think is very very salient, very important and probably not politically correct, but I don't care

Trump is appealing to the anti-PC, or "conservative correctness", that exists within the Republican party and conservative movement. It's more than just an ideological stance, it's a propaganda tactic. Calling it PC not only effectively attracts potential support, but it also assists is shutting-down debate on that particular topic. I believe the following quote gives an accurate description:

the big threat to our discourse is right-wing political correctness, which – unlike the liberal version – has lots of power and money behind it. And the goal is very much the kind of thing Orwell tried to convey with his notion of Newspeak: to make it impossible to talk, and possibly even think, about ideas that challenge the established order.

Now that I have given you a quick summery of what I believe to be the most important aspects of political correctness, we must ask ourselves...."what's the point"? Why did I post this and what does it mean?

In my opinion, this means that the all-too-frequent cries for and accusations of "political correctness" ring hallow. It has evolved from an idea of self-policing and inclusiveness, to a political tool, or a crutch, that allows us to bash each other over the head when we disagree on ideological terms. There is little need to be educated on the issues or prepare for a factual debate when at any time "political correctness" can be introduced to shut the debate down. Perhaps "political correctness" could be compared to Godwin's Law in how it can derail proper discourse?

So in the end we've become numb to it and rely on it heavily at the same time. It's a term that means very little, but means so much.

Thanks for reading.

Wikipedia
NPR

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I see the good, the bad and the ugly everyday here when it comes to PC.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with not offending people (good) just because you have succumbed to the Rights To Ought fallacy...

There is the thinline where any micro aggression is deemed offensive which is ridiculous (bad)...

& of course...

There is also the shaming aspect (ugly) which is just so far from the original intent of policing oneself it brings disrepute to the whole movement.

I wouldn't call myself PC, just polite to those who deserve it, and blunt with those who can dish it out but can't take it...

I don't get kicks out of telling people what they can and can't say.
That's seems to be the new wave philosophy.
edit on 17-12-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: Spelling.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   
What people claim as "PC" isn't. What these claims are is that they want to debase themselves into a base argument and absolve themselves of any breech of common decency. "I'm being an ass because it's important to fight the "PC". What a load of crap. It's a matter of respect.... and some don't even have it for themselves so they show none to others as well.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

To be blatantly semantic, the nomenclature chosen for the social movement reveals the insidious nature of the conspiracy (if you wish to call it that).

In other words, why wasn't it called moral correctness, empathetic correctness or intellectual correctness?

I think we all know why.

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   
More PC drivel...

Stop telling people how to feel.

Stop telling people what to think.

Stop telling people what to say.

PC has done more to divide our Country than any other single thing.

It is just a dangerous way of thinking you are smarter than every one else.

*Not directing my comments at OP...Directing it to PC phonies.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

I can agree with what you said.

a reply to: intrepid

What people claim as "PC" isn't.

I hope I was able to adequately show, or at least imply in the OP, that there are many parts to this "PC" issue. Different groups or sides have defined the term how they see fit and use it accordingly.

a reply to: greencmp

In other words, why wasn't it called moral correctness, empathetic correctness or intellectual correctness?

I think we all know why.

If I am understanding you correctly, you would be delving in to the conspiratorial area that I briefly mentioned.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

Would you agree that "conservative correctness" plays as much of a part on the division as any other aspect?

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Basically there were people who were raised to have manners. Then there were others that were raised without manners. That seems to be the difference to me.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I always looked at political correctness as simply being polite. Quite frankly, if one can not bring themselves to be polite, then they should not speak. If one chooses to speak without being polite, then they deserve any judgement that is cast upon.

For me, sometimes I am polite and sometimes I am not. When I am not acting politely, then I expect that there will be repercussions; repercussions I thought about in advance and willingly accept. One thing I don't do is cry about it when I say something offensive and get called out for it.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

Would you agree that "conservative correctness" plays as much of a part on the division as any other aspect?

No...

You are making up the term "Conservative Correctness".

However, to say Conservatives are guilt free is also a lie.

link   

originally posted by: amicktd
Basically there were people who were raised to have manners. Then there were others that were raised without manners. That seems to be the difference to me.

Completely true.

My post was meant to go beyond that, highlight the political nature of it and how it has evolved from both mainstream political perspectives.
edit on 17-12-2015 by introvert because: (no reason given)

link   

Exactly, stop telling people to not be PC
See how that works out?

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere

originally posted by: introvert

No...

You are making up the term "Conservative Correctness".

However, to say Conservatives are guilt free is also a lie.

I did not make-up that term.

"Political correctness" is a label typically used for left-wing terms and actions, but not for equivalent attempts to mold language and behavior on the right. However, the term "right-wing political correctness" is sometimes applied by commentators drawing parallels: in 1995, one author used the term "conservative correctness", arguing, in relation to higher education, that "critics of political correctness show a curious blindness when it comes to examples of conservative correctness. Most often, the case is entirely ignored or censorship of the Left is justified as a positive virtue. ... A balanced perspective was lost, and everyone missed the fact that people on all sides were sometimes censored."

Wiki

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

See how that works out?

I don't tell anyone how to think or what words they can use.

Do you own a mirror ?

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

See how that works out?

I don't tell anyone how to think or what words they can use.

Do you own a mirror ?

It goes beyond simply telling someone what to say. As I highlighted in the OP, the term is used in our debates to dispute someone's assertions by labeling it as being "PC".

"PC" is a tool used against "PC"

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   

You may not, but plenty of the Anti crowd does.
www.rawstory.com...

Since this is a topic where we can use one incident to some how prove a larger point I will use that tactic here.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays is a huge issue in this point, we have a presidential front runner who wants to say that he will make people say merry christmas.
www.washingtontimes.com...

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   
This is another answer to where it came from:

It's just another outgrowth of the so-called reality-based community.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   
It's too close to Christmas for a big fight.

PC is a term that get people on both sides angry.

So, I'll just say Merry Christmas to you all.

Or, whatever holiday you choose to celebrate.

I sincerely hope it's your best Holiday Season ever.

edit on 17-12-2015 by whyamIhere because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Good point. Have we also not heard a push to make English the official US language? That's not telling you what you can say, but it dictates how you can say it.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   

It's too close to Christmas for a big fight.

PC is a term that get people on both sides angry.

So, I'll just say Merry Christmas to you all.

Or, whatever holiday you choose to celebrate.

I sincerely hope it's your best Holiday Season ever.

Good idea.

Merry Christmas!

I'll send you a fruitcake, homemade and well soaked in brandy. Only the best drunken doorstops for my compatriots.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join