It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AAAARRRGHH!!!! It should be illegal!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Delayed video or audio on web pages!

Its 2:47 in the early hours here in the uk.
I'm working my way down a web page and BOOOOM!!! Some Bl**dy awful music starts blasting out of my speakers at about 2 million decibels.
My neighbors wont be happy!

What really pee's me off is the volume. Everything else is playing at normal volume but the delayed CRAP thats hidden in web pages comes out so loud I almost fall out of my chair!
I've even had to give up reading the main page on ats because that too has a delayed video that sneaks in when I'm about a third of the way down the page! And yes SO, I'm working on that one and it'll go to the same place all the others went.

It should be illegal

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

Happens in the U.S. on television too.

Program volume is A- OK then the corporate sales commercials come on and are 250% louder than your volume setting.

The FCC was "supposed to" be doing something about it several times in the last few decades. But nothing ever came of it / every case was ignored or swiftly swept under the rug.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Here in Canada, it's now a non issue, thank goodness.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlubberyConspiracy

Program volume is A- OK then the corporate sales commercials come on and are 250% louder than your volume setting.

The FCC was "supposed to" be doing something about it several times in the last few decades. But nothing ever came of it / every case was ignored or swiftly swept under the rug.

Its the same in the uk. Its actually illegal over here to increase the volume during the commercials (or it was) but yes the ads boom out way above the volume of anything else. What makes it worse is so many of the ads are just loud noisy horrible music!

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   

I hear you! It's extremely irritating.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Firefox and ADLBOCK.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: CallYourBluff
Firefox and ADLBOCK.

I already...cough..do something

What I'm talking about here is audio and video that is ON the website, it carries no outside links hence ad blockers dont see it.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons

I hear you! It's extremely irritating.

My comp is hooked up to a 5.1 system, when those vid/audios start up, well, irritating is an understatement.
There's also the bandwidth issue. Where I live I'm forced to use a dongle, I pay for every megabyte. A hi def movie can cost me pounds.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   
The only thing more annoying than slideshows on sites that reload/refresh the page for each pic instead of JUST the pics themselves would be any auto-play crap. Even if you do everything you can...audio/video will get around it now and then. I hate it more when you right-click/open in new tab and plan on finishing your current page...but no, the other tab starts trying to sell me something so loud it wakes the neighbors.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I laugh so hard at your post because I sooo see myself cursing and clicking like crazy in the middle of the night...
I usually browse in multiple tabs and often the damn video starts from god knows what tab I left opened ten minutes before.
One night I woke up with someone talking in my living room; I was sure someone broke into my house, but why are they so freely talking out loud? I just left my computer open and of course an ad started somehow on its own.
But you're right, is so annoying, and is funny to see I'm not the only one who passionately hates those ads...

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk

Firefox and ADLBOCK.

What I'm talking about here is audio and video that is ON the website, it carries no outside links hence ad blockers dont see it.

Well you must be doing something wrong because I don't run into the same problem.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   
The FCC also needs to ban the sound of honking horns and squealing tires in radio ads. That crap makes my adrenal glands do their job.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 10:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlubberyConspiracy

Its the same in the uk. Its actually illegal over here to increase the volume during the commercials (or it was) but yes the ads boom out way above the volume of anything else. What makes it worse is so many of the ads are just loud noisy horrible music!

I'm with you on that though.TV adverts are pet peeve of my own, and I also thought it was supposed to be illegal to increase the volume.It's a conspiracy.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Firefox and ADLBOCK.

I don't get any of these loud ads with Google Chrome and Adblock.(regular version not pro)
If you still get them after that I would advise doing a Virus scan with MalwareBytes.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 10:59 PM
link   
These conversations always remind me of good old Max Headroom and the "blipverts" . Well at least our heads aren't exploding yet. Man I bet companies are still trying to figure out how to make that a "thing" compressing ads in to short subconscious burst.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I haven't owned a television in years, but I did hear something about how in order to get around the restrictions placed on advertisements increasing their volume, what would happen is the broadcasters would actually play the programme at a quieter volume, so that the ads would appear significantly louder.

As for internet ads... some sites I can no longer browse on my phone, even with adblock installed, because they would either automatically redirect the page to some dodgy "make $9284570236720 from home in ONE HOUR" etc etc type ad pages, or they would automatically play ear-destroying audio ads, or in some cases, both. Too many times, I've been on the internet in public only to find myself frantically closing windows as some ad blared out at top volume.

Thing is, almost every website does not want these ads, as they cause people to stop visiting their site, and obviously the site owners do not want that. The reason these intrusive ads crop up on even quite popular websites (I had a lot of trouble with Imgur, which is a very widely used site), is because the sites don't actually choose the specific ads, but rather outsource it to an advertising company. These companies do try to avoid this type of advertising, but it's not too difficult for the makers of these ads to get around that restriction, so they keep on slipping through.

Probably the best way to avoid these awful sound blasting ads is to notify the managers of the site in question. More often than not, they'll only become aware that these ads have slipped through the cracks when people complain about them.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   
The reason is that ppl cant master their effin audio.
nah, reason is that the commercials should catch your attention.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: NihilistSanta
These conversations always remind me of good old Max Headroom and the "blipverts" . Well at least our heads aren't exploding yet. Man I bet companies are still trying to figure out how to make that a "thing" compressing ads in to short subconscious burst.

Max Headroom What a character!!! At the time that was my favorite show.
Maybe he could get into the system and shut down these damned annoying ads!

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: yeahsurexxx
The reason is that ppl cant master their effin audio.
nah, reason is that the commercials should catch your attention.

Most people have their audio set at level that pleases them, and being as 99.99% of audio is recorded at a standard level, everything works fine. However, those ahole ad people have started recording way above the standard level, and it comes out of our speakers MUCH louder than we'd like!

Its got nothing to do with not being able to "master their effin audio". There's nothing to master! unless maybe you find it a challenge to adjust the volume?

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 09:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: DeepThoughtCriminal

Probably the best way to avoid these awful sound blasting ads is to notify the managers of the site in question. More often than not, they'll only become aware that these ads have slipped through the cracks when people complain about them.

That is the correct thing to do. A while back I spoke to SO concerning the auto starts on the main page, and he said pretty much what you just wrote. He did get it stopped for a while but they seemed to have crept back in. I do my own ad banishment (I dont trust third party ad blockers) which is fairly successful but every now and again a new one starts up. Its just a matter of noting its IP and adding it to the Hosts file.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join