It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this a recursive folder or file?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I run Windows 7 Home edition. My disc is split into 2 parts. One part is the "C" drive the other is my data drive (D drive)

I have issues with recursive folders in my d drive but I can fix that. More importantly, I need to know if this is a recursive folder in the "C" drive?

C:documents and settingsall usersapplication dataapplication dataapplication dataapplication dataapplication dataapplication dataapplication dataapplication dataapplication dataapplication dataapplication dataoraclejavajavapath.

If it is whats the best way to deal with it?

Thanks in advance.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

Did you try a virus,virus,virus,virus check?

Did you try a re-install of any oracle programs?
edit on 12 by Mandroid7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Azureblue
I run Windows 7 Home edition. My disc is split into 2 parts. One part is the "C" drive the other is my data drive (D drive)

I have issues with recursive folders in my d drive but I can fix that. More importantly, I need to know if this is a recursive folder in the "C" drive?

C:documents and settingsall usersapplication dataapplication dataapplication dataapplication dataapplication dataapplication dataapplication dataapplication dataapplication dataapplication dataapplication dataoraclejavajavapath.

Thanks in advance.

Do you mean redundant ?
Also , some programs could add multiple level entries like that.

Actually just checked my Windows 10 and , yes I have those also....
So , they are like that for a purpose

edit on 5-12-2015 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Out of my pay grade then. Never seen redundant name like that in c. I run win7 ultimate.

Sorry Gothmog...I'm sure someone on here can help ya.

edit on 12 by Mandroid7 because: fnipadkeyboard

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7

Out of my pay grade then. Never seen redundant name like that in c. I run win7 ultimate.

Sorry Gothmog...I'm sure someone on here can help ya.

Uhh ,no . Been into computers for AGES UNENDING now.....Dont need assistance . (well C64 and basic days , then DOS 5) :lol

And , BTW . The "recursive folders" that you have is due to Java. Normal. As I said.

edit on 5-12-2015 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Yeah, your social skills kinda reflect the lack of personal skills gained with years of communicating with computers.

Just trying to be helpful bud, don't get so offended by everything, it will shorten your lifespan.

edit on 12 by Mandroid7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Yeah, your social skills kinda reflect the lack of personal skills gained with years of communicating with computers.

Just trying to be helpful bud, don't get so offended by everything, it will shorten your lifespan.

Notice the LOLs ? Notice the reference to C64s and DOS 5 ? I felt the post to be rather humorous. Of course , you may be right. Years of computer logic has removed my sense of humor. Look out Sheldon Cooper , there is a new one in town...

Peace , and no offense meant.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Just found the cause of this from Microsoft . It is not a folder issue . The my documents folder is called a "junction" . The problem occurs when a program or user changes permissions on this "junction"

Multiple Application Data files folders nested many layers deep

edit on 5-12-2015 by Gothmog because: spell

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 12:05 AM
link   

I was a second too late but I was gonna suggest that it was probably a symbolic link. I use junctions and symbolic links all the time. If you have a network resource that you want to appear as a local resource ... Such as a shared folder on a nas for FileZilla server or something (but can't use iSCSI because it's a shared resource), you can use
Mklink c:myfoldername /d ipOrHostHerepathHere
To create a symbolic link.

I can't count the characters on my phone but your situation also looks like a possible character limit. I think explorer limits the number of characters in a path to 256. My immediate thought is some poorly written install tried to create a symbolic link and got stuck in a recursive loop until you couldn't add another directory due to the restriction.

Thx
-d
edit on 6-12-2015 by drewlander because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-12-2015 by drewlander because: Apple autocorrect sucks.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 12:12 AM
link   

I forgot to add you can remove it from command line but possibly not from the UI. Just use the rmdir command in an elevated command prompt.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 12:17 AM
link   
a reply to: drewlander

Such as a shared folder on a nas

Ok , I havent heard that used in a while . As a side note, know the difference between a NAS and a SAN ? Old joke at work.....but it fits.

edit on 6-12-2015 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 12:20 AM
link   

No problem, maybe it was taken the wrong way. Carry on man.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Heh, yeah. 16 years experience in HealthCareIT. I have four readynas; Two 2100 1u and two 3200 2u . I write medical software for PCR and transportation, and host over 40 servers sitting in one and a half racks. I have a little idea of what I'm dealing with. ;-p

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 12:57 AM
link   
a reply to: drewlander

Star for you on just bringing back old memories. Where I work I was the NAS SME....and still am if ever needed.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 01:10 AM
link   

I walk into memories all the time. Sometimes things before my time. Last year I serviced a RS6000 through terminal for a legacy medical system running on AIX. Curious why your company needs to be an expert on NAS? The ones I have are pretty straight forward. You have some really old or really new stuff I dont have experience with?

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Did you try a virus,virus,virus,virus check?

Did you try a re-install of any oracle programs?

Yes, I run AVG and 6-8 other cleaning programs which run every few days and certainly always after having visited adult sites as I have noticed that if I don't, my bandwidth usage explodes. Used 500mb just to download one 8 minute video from YT in one full day, the day after having visited an adult site, according to my ISP.
edit on 6-12-2015 by Azureblue because: z

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 02:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

Thanks in advance.

Do you mean redundant ?

I use nCleaner and after running it, a list of about < 1,500 files come up. I told it to select and delete all the files in the list. After running, a report came up saying that about 40+ files were deleted but the rest could not be deleted. They had this long sequence of sub division in them. I just selected and copied the one I posted.
edit on 6-12-2015 by Azureblue because: z

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Just found the cause of this from Microsoft . It is not a folder issue . The my documents folder is called a "junction" . The problem occurs when a program or user changes permissions on this "junction"

Multiple Application Data files folders nested many layers deep

The MS suggested fix is to use system restore to before the permissions were changed. Not useful if it happened ages ago.

Failing that, there is a probable fix:

First uninstall Java (you can reinstall the latest version afterwards).

Then, change permissions to Windows default by using Tweaking.com "Windows Repair AIO" program. Follow the preliminary steps (to the letter, especially going into 'safe' mode) then run the file permissions repairs (takes ages).

Hope it fixes it!

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 04:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: drewlander

I walk into memories all the time. Sometimes things before my time. Last year I serviced a RS6000 through terminal for a legacy medical system running on AIX. Curious why your company needs to be an expert on NAS? The ones I have are pretty straight forward. You have some really old or really new stuff I dont have experience with?

Strange you should say that . I worked for THE RISC6000 (RS 6000) company .what we call one of the "Big Iron" series. And the SME for NAS was years ago....Havent used that in a while. In fact , I had forgotten the term. We might have manufactured and put together that NAS....5500M10s

Ever see the movie 2001 A Space Oddity ? Know where the name HAL came from ?

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Thanks in advance.

Do you mean redundant ?

I use nCleaner and after running it, a list of about < 1,500 files come up. I told it to select and delete all the files in the list. After running, a report came up saying that about 40+ files were deleted but the rest could not be deleted. They had this long sequence of sub division in them. I just selected and copied the one I posted.

There is a solution per the MS page. It is called JunctionBox . I havent tried it so I cannot recommend it.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join