It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Scientist Claims - Earth Is Surrounded By Strings of Dark Matter

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Well folks it looks like the worm hole, or Strings just got a bit deeper. Get ready for your mind to be blown.

It appears the dark matter maybe stringy, or hair-like. I still trying to wrap my head around this, but dark matter makes up a large percentage of our galaxy, so this stuff is significant, and their claims are absolutely amazing. Enjoy!

NASA - Dark Matter

The solar system might be a lot hairier than we thought. A new study publishing this week in the Astrophysical Journal by Gary Prézeau of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, California, proposes the existence of long filaments of dark matter, or "hairs." Dark matter is an invisible, mysterious substance that makes up about 27 percent of all matter and energy in the universe.

The regular matter, which makes up everything we can see around us, is only 5 percent of the universe. The rest is dark energy, a strange phenomenon associated with the acceleration of our expanding universe.

Here's another claim by the scientist and his group that blew my mind.

Hairs emerging from planets have both "roots," the densest concentration of dark matter particles in the hair, and "tips," where the hair ends. When particles of a dark matter stream pass through Earth’s core, they focus at the "root" of a hair, where the density of the particles is about a billion times more than average. The root of such a hair should be around 600,000 miles (1 million kilometers) away from the surface, or twice as far as the moon.

The stream particles that graze Earth's surface will form the tip of the hair, about twice as far from Earth as the hair’s root. "If we could pinpoint the location of the root of these hairs, we could potentially send a probe there and get a bonanza of data about dark matter," Prézeau said.

Maybe one day we'll be able to travel these strings to other planets.
edit on 24-11-2015 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   

The regular matter, which makes up everything we can see around us, is only 5 percent of the universe. The rest is dark energy, a strange phenomenon associated with the acceleration of our expanding universe.

I do believe this part....except instead of "dark energy" should they have stated "dark matter" ? As far as the rest

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

I do believe this part....except instead of "dark energy" should they have stated "dark matter" ? As far as the rest

I think at this point trying to quantify, or label any of this will get confusing, but it sure does leave more questions than answers like everything else we postulate in regards to earth and space.
edit on 24-11-2015 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I think alot of these things they say are silly. Lately alot of things like this come with new and catchy terms and will not resurface again on ats or anywhere. I think for some of this stuff, it is so quantum and hipster peoples brains fell out.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I wish my head had that much hair on it. Maybe it does and it is made of dark matter

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 10:35 PM
link   
That's interesting. Thanks for sharing. In some ways we are still in the middle ages with ideas that will later become obsolete.

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 24-11-2015 by Paradeox because: Editing.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Realtruth

Interesting!

If it is found to be true it will open up a new way to look at the universe in more detail.

(taken from your link)

Another fascinating finding from these computer simulations is that the changes in density found inside our planet – from the inner core, to the outer core, to the mantle to the crust – would be reflected in the hairs. The hairs would have "kinks" in them that correspond to the transitions between the different layers of Earth.

Theoretically, if it were possible to obtain this information, scientists could use hairs of cold dark matter to map out the layers of any planetary body, and even infer the depths of oceans on icy moons.

That is awesome!

s&f

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I'm sorry but the earth is stained by dark matter. It's the global # stain of politicians. Not enough Clorox to bleach it away. Ever.

a reply to: Darkblade71

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 12:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

no. everything we know and understand (matter, energy, antimatter) makes up 5% of the universe. 27% is dark matter, or something we have never seen before and don't understand at all but kinda sorta behaves like matter. the rest, 68% of the universe, is dark energy, something we have never seen before and know nothing about that seems to behave kinda like energy.

i'm skeptical about some of the cutting edge physics, i think it's possible dark matter and dark energy don't exist and they were postulated to fill gaps in our current theories because we're actually wrong about something else. i think physics is on the verge of some major breakthroughs and we will think very differently about the universe very soon, and then we'll spend another 50 years sorting through all these types of theories and fitting them back together. i could be wrong though

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 12:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

It is correct. They are different things. Dark Matter is the unknown matter, Dark Energy is the unknown force.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 12:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Realtruth

and again a scientist says something, doesn't prove anything, and people already believe.

I do like science fiction story's though they are fun.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 12:37 AM
link   
What are the practical applications?

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 12:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman

A final theory of every force (magnetism, gravity, weak, strong) and a complete understanding of every subatomic particle could lead to new propulsion systems.

Do these "dark matter hairs" have a force field direction? Can they be used for braking/accelerating? Are they simply tears in the fabric of space-time due to frame-dragging?

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 01:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: anotheramethyst
a reply to: Gothmog

no. everything we know and understand (matter, energy, antimatter) makes up 5% of the universe. 27% is dark matter, or something we have never seen before and don't understand at all but kinda sorta behaves like matter. the rest, 68% of the universe, is dark energy, something we have never seen before and know nothing about that seems to behave kinda like energy.

i'm skeptical about some of the cutting edge physics, i think it's possible dark matter and dark energy don't exist and they were postulated to fill gaps in our current theories because we're actually wrong about something else. i think physics is on the verge of some major breakthroughs and we will think very differently about the universe very soon, and then we'll spend another 50 years sorting through all these types of theories and fitting them back together. i could be wrong though

However , with the theory of dark matter/energy that would go a way to proving symmetry -super symmetry ,etc.And may explain the age old question of how the universe is (or was) expanding at speeds > C .Also why matter and energy can change levels and possibly move (in relation to the Higgs Bosun) across space/time with no limitations.The Laws of the Universe may be opened to us more if what they are saying is true

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 03:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Realtruth
NASA Scientist Claims - Earth Is Surrounded By Strings of Dark Matter

I'm thinking this whole 'dark matter' stuff is an Occam's Razor violating desperate theory meant to correct erroneous theory/understanding!
Magical 'stuff' filling the darkness of our ignorance!
The theory will, over time, join 'Forms' and other desperate attempts to fill the darkness/ignorance with ANYTHING that can 'satisfy' for a moment!

'Dark matter' seems no different than "Goddidit"!
edit on 25-11-2015 by namelesss because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Maybe dark matter is the "fabric" of the universe?

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Once I have achieved control of dark matter, I will be able to do magic.

MWA HA HA!

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 04:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: namelesss
I'm thinking this whole 'dark matter' stuff is an Occam's Razor violating desperate theory meant to correct erroneous theory/understanding!
Magical 'stuff' filling the darkness of our ignorance!

I don't totally disagree with you. It works as a model, but if we can't find a way to detect it, then eventually it's going to be a sort of 'black body radiation' issue.

If it actually forms in 'hairs', and I'm not sure how they're proving it is, then dark matter interacts with itself somehow. The lit would have you believe that this comes strictly from simulations. In which case dark matter hairs might be nothing more than a math pack error.

edit on 25-11-2015 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 04:30 AM
link   

A much more comprehensive understanding of the universe, and the laws it lives by. Nothing to see here folks, move along

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 04:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

It's the subject to be hyper-speculative of, not like it would change modern physics or anything

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join