It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

computer headaches

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 03:07 AM
link   
it started last year iwould have powerful migrains which i found out was computer related
im sure its not the computer monitor as ihave it on 72 or 75 for refresh rate does anybody else have this problem?

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Any refresh rate above 70 is generally accepted. I use 72Hz on my laptop and 75 on my desktop (when I used to use a huge CRT monitor). If you have a flat-panel LCD, refresh rates do not matter. I'm currenty 60Hz on the LCD (which would be DEATH on a CRT) and I'm not finding anything wrong.

If it's a desktop, go with 75. Laptop, go with 70 or 72. I feel sorry for those whose video cards and monitors cant go over 60. That HAS to hurt. I know it hurt me.

Setting it too much HIGHER than 75 will needlessly degrade image sharpness due to video bandwidth effects (which is pretty much the pixel clock rate increasing with the refresh rate, which can lead to lots of bluriness). My CRT could have gone to 85... but I prefered 75 for the following reason up above.

I hope I was of help!

[STAY COOL)
-prophetmike

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Have you had your eyes checked? If you are squinting at the screen, this will cause headaches. Just a thought

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 06:35 AM
link   
i talked to the optitians they said my eyes were fine

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Probably the refresh rate then. Unless you have an OLD monitor, in which case it could have a large dot pitch. Those used to kill me! Only thing to do with them is buy a new one and use the old to practice your brick-aiming!

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 11:44 PM
link   
DONT SIT INFRONT OF THE COMPUTER FOR TOO LONG.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 07:35 AM
link   
its not the refresh rate as i said above i have my refresh rate up to 72 somtimes 75 when i go to college im using tft screens so i dont know all i know is that it happens every now and again after using computers

E_T

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 11:28 AM
link   
1. Required refresh rate also depends on from size of monitor, with bigger monitor you need bigger refresh rate... or saying it other words, with bigger monitor flickering is more noticeable.

Originally posted by prophetmike
Setting it too much HIGHER than 75 will needlessly degrade image sharpness due to video bandwidth effects (which is pretty much the pixel clock rate increasing with the refresh rate, which can lead to lots of bluriness). My CRT could have gone to 85... but I prefered 75 for the following reason up above.
Well... that just depends on how bad crap DAC of graphic card is.
Changing crappy card (GF2 MX is legendary) to good one may change quality of image so much that you might well believe that monitor is new and better... trust me.
My friend had GF2 MX and Samtron cheap monitor and I noticed fuzzyness in image even with XGA (1024x768) and IMO it was pretty much useless at SXGA (1280x1024). After I bought new card I sold my old graphic card (R8500) to him and after changing it to in place of that crappy "fullscreen anti-aliaser" even UXGA (1600x1200) with good refresh rate had as much fuzzines as XGA with old one.

Personally I wouldn't go much under 85, with 75 there's noticeable flickering especially with bright picture.

And remember that flickering doesn't apply to laptops/notebooks. Pixels in TFTs doesn't go off with lack of refreshing, in fact they stey in same condition until it's told to change its brightness to new wanted value.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 06:20 AM
link   
my monitor is 17 inches

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I had the same problem until someone gave me the following advice:

If your headaches are behind the eyes, it's probably from squinting as mentioned above. Turn your monitor contrast up as high as it will go, then reduce the brightness to as low as you can while still being able to read text comfortably. Relax your eyes so that you're not squinting at all. If you find you're still needing to squint, reduce the brightness further and the contrast if required. Your eyes adjust to the light from a computer screen just as they do in low light or bright light. You'd be surprised how what seems too dim at first can become quite comfortable to read after a minute or two of letting your pupils adjust. You should reduce the brightness as much as you can and adjust the contrast to make text more distinct. Adjust again if you change to viewing sites with bright-colored or white background.

If the headaches are in the back of your head, it may be due to bad seating posture. If you are leaning your neck forward for long periods of time, you will get a headache from your neck supporting the weight of your head (the human head is actually quite heavy, we just don't use all the stuff in it to its full capacity
). Slide your chair (or your butt, if the chair is fixed) closer to the computer and lean back so that your back is straight. Imagine your back is tied to a flat board. Place your feet flat on the floor with your knees at 90 degree angles. If you can, raise the monitor higher so that you only have to tilt your head down slightly to see it. You can put it on a few large books under it if need be.

Every 10 minutes or so, stop reading, sit up straight, close your eyes and do some neck exercises with slow, relaxed movements between massaging your neck. Exercises should tilt your head along all axis of movement (first tilt left and right like a quizzical dog, look left and right like you're crossing the road, and nod back and forth). When massaging your neck, massage upwards to the top of your head rather than downward towards your back. Stretch your arms and back by trying to "touch the ceiling" while seated. DOing this standing up is even better.

Finish up by massaging your eyes, eyebrows and forehead. Massage your forehead and the bridge of your nose up toward your hairline. Massage your eyebrows outwards toward your temples.

Drink less coffee and soda, and drink more water.
Invest in a comfortable computer chair with lower back support.

Hope this helps.

[edit on 2005/1/17 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Where you by any chance playing any games?? Games like Half Life2 have been known to cause headaches and queaziness because of the angle your located at. Mostly happens in FPS.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 04:54 AM
link   
no happens completely at random ive been given some nose spray to use when i sense the head aches coming on the only trouble is i cant sense them always

top topics

join