It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you believe knowledge is power?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Assuming that the statement "knowledge is power" is not banally about inside information,

"knowledge is power" means that the more a person knows (about nature), the more a person can do.

The nature part is implicit.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Childhood is supposed to spent learning how to use all of the available knowledge to get what you want.

The difference between that and the way the world is, is the basis of the real conspiracy theory.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 10:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: vethumanbeing

You recognize a weakness then take the advantage.

Why?

The Intent to Miss use (using the innocents) power corruption or lies.
edit on 7-11-2015 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 11:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Why?

Point to purpose; a breach in the walls.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 03:33 AM
link   
The way I see it, there is personal power, and external power (can't think of more accurate terms at the moment, but there must be). One emerges from knowledge of self, the other emerges from knowledge of other ("other" meaning everything outside of self - the external reality, other beings...).

When you have knowledge you have ability to manipulate. (in the technical sense - I do not refer to only covert psychological manipulation, as it is sometimes used to refer to. I mean here, "to make move"; handle, control, manipulate).

With knowledge of other, you gain the ability to manipulate the exterior; objects and others.
With knowledge of self you gain the ability to manipulate the self - ones own emotions, thoughts, actions.

If you focus only on gaining one kind of knowledge, you can end up deficient in the other, from what I observe.

What I consider "trying to skip steps" is like when spiritual seekers try to grasp quantum physics, without the huge amount of education necessary to even BEGIN to understand it. So they end up twisting and abusing that knowledge.

Or when more scientifific minds try to grasp the more advanced experiences in spiritual study, without the huge amount of experience necessary to get there, so end up twisting and abusing it just the same.

But in any case, I don't see the concept of knowledge as black and white (you either have it or not).
I look at this as a spectrum in each type, and perhaps a never ending one... or that actually loops around to return to the beginning.
edit on 8-11-2015 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Profusion?

You are getting a lot of varied points of view on this, and I noticed you haven't particpated further.
I hope you aren't feeling overwhelmed or objected to heavily, it would be really too bad if you felt repressed at this point , and end up feeling a bit bitter as a result later.

Just an encouragement to stick in there with us - IF you feel it. Even when people disagree on a topic, it doesn't mean there isn't care or concern for each other .

If you don't feel it, just disregard this.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Knowledge is power due to the advantages it can give, but its applying the knowledge to the real world is the trick, like Intelligence vs Wisdom, Book Smarts vs Street Smarts.

One could be engineer and understand a crap load of theory, but if you don't know the difference between a type of screw driver, or monkey wrench, you can be pretty useless.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion
The way I look at it is knowledge lets you know where the ledge is so you won't necessarily fall over.

Yes, knowledge is power, the power to keep you from crossing the ledge. The ledge where the knowledge you will fall over it when you cross it is a lie.
edit on 12-11-2015 by Ladybug201 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: vethumanbeing

More like taking a strong stand when you know you're right, or at least making a decisive move when everybody else is unsure and stagnating.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Semicollegiate
Using knowledge is always like doing a math word problem.

Power is getting somebody else to do it for you.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Knowledge is power, as in knowledge of God.
On the other hand, to remain in ignorance is to remain without power of what lies behind the apparent reality.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Self discipline is key too. Part of what makes growing up fun is learning how use it to enjoy ourselves better.
edit on 13-11-2015 by dffrntkndfnml because: Spelling

edit on 13-11-2015 by dffrntkndfnml because: Context

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 04:44 AM
link   
knowledge without wisdom or wisdom without knowledge is useless.

power is just a fancy word we like to use a lot, it is egoistical crap.

my crappy 2 cents : )

posted on Nov, 16 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

More like taking a strong stand when you know you're right, or at least making a decisive move when everybody else is unsure and stagnating.

Problem; what is the MORAL stance, how do you know you are the epitome of the best of the best outcome and measured before?

posted on Nov, 16 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

There are many unsure of their own faith; however, taking a violent stance against another perceived majority to claim a foothold in this miasma of ill conceived Dogmas that prove NOTHING. Strong stance? More one of cowardice/frustration in their God Mohammed actually informing them of ISLAMS truth (never Sharia law as was invented by humans with an agenda).
edit on 16-11-2015 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Dont think the problem ever was dogma, humans being their true nature..

posted on Nov, 16 2015 @ 09:22 PM
link   
knowledge is power? Go out in nature, learn, all the secrets are there..

posted on Nov, 16 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: rajas

Dont think the problem ever was dogma, humans being their true nature..

They (HUMANS) invented every version of a God or demi-God existing throughout the civilizations (to a point and purpose) to control the unwashed masses.

posted on Nov, 16 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: rajas
knowledge is power? Go out in nature, learn, all the secrets are there..

We are not insects; and they are not forth giving as to why exactly they exist as pesky irritants (carrying disease fatal to the human).
edit on 16-11-2015 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   

The Humans are an ideal based on the concept of virtues, first modern human came with religion.. Not human advancement..

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join