It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you believe knowledge is power?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 04:16 AM
link   
The way I look at it is knowledge lets you know where the ledge is so you won't necessarily fall over. At least you know where you shouldn't go. That doesn't mean that you'll listen to the wisdom you have, just as the character in the Fool card from the Tarot.

If he would just look down he would gain enough knowledge to survive. I love how it looks like the dog has more knowledge and wisdom than the Fool... Why? The Fool appears to have his head in the clouds. Why be concerned with mundane knowledge like knowing where a cliff is? There are so many more important things to ponder. The dog in the card is more reality-based in its awareness than the Fool. It looks like the dog is trying give the Fool the knowledge necessary to survive. Will the Fool listen? Nobody knows but it's an interesting point, isn't it?

Without knowledge we're just wandering around in the dark without any guide whatsoever. Christians might claim "the Holy Spirit" is their guide. New Agers might claim "their Higher Self" is their guide. Channelers might claim "a spirit guide" is their guide. No matter what you claim about any of that, you believe you're getting necessary knowledge from somewhere so you do see an inherent value in knowledge.

The only people I can imagine denying that knowledge is power is the "There is no truth" crowd. I have a simple answer for them:

If there is no truth then there is no knowledge.

The "There is no truth" crowd should not be taking part in this discussion at all because their belief system precludes this topic and makes it a completely moot issue. For that reason, I would appreciate it if they would kindly stay out of this thread.

But, I suspect some of them will take part in this thread. Why? They don't really believe what they claim, that's my guess.

edit on 6-11-2015 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 04:48 AM
link   
That dog looks like he is smiling and encouraging to me? He doesn't look alarmed at all.... he looks playful!

(just to specify, I am not of the No Truth Exists claimers, I just am of the "I don't possess all the truth" claimer).

edit on 6-11-2015 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 05:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

That's just wrong.
The fool doesn't worry, that's his wisdom. What he knows or not is a different topic, but knowledge has nothing to do with this card.
And as Bluesma said the dog is his playfull companion, because the fool is guided by his own intuition.

But on topic, yes knowledge is power. If you're grounded in reality you get further, but also die younger from all the stress. Not really, but you most likely lack a bit in imagination and emotional.
edit on 6-11-2015 by Peeple because: Add

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 05:47 AM
link   
.... I agree with both of you - knowledge is power.

But power comes with an equal level of responsibility.

Too much power, without attaining the skills to handle the responsibility,

Results in abuse of power. Destruction instead of construction.

Greed for knowledge is greed for power,

Nothing wrong with desire and searching out what you desire,

But you have that friendly intuition there,

That helps you know when to slow down,

Practice, exercise the skills, integrate a bit more,

Before taking the next step.

We all got that puppy!

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 06:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

knowledge isn't power.
information is power.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 06:02 AM
link   
a reply to: subfab

Information without interpretation is worse than useless.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 06:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

i think i get what you are saying.
sometimes information drops in our lap. we don't know what to do with it.

ignore it?
tell someone about it?
keep it hidden?

but for the most part people search out information with a purpose on how and when to use it.
an example would be divorce. spouses are constantly scooping up dirty secrets on their significant other in preparation for divorce. whether it's on facebook or cell phone or email the information gathering happens.
armed with information a person entering the divorce court holds an incredible advantage.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 06:26 AM
link   
knowledge can be power. just depends what you do with it

you can have all the knowledge in the world. But if you are playing computer games all day and decide to do nothing more. Its not Power.

Knowledge can convert to power - but not necessarily power its self.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 06:32 AM
link   
a reply to: subfab

Exactly. Just a matter of confused definitions

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 06:35 AM
link   
"The only people I can imagine denying that knowledge is power is the "There is no truth" crowd. I have a simple answer for them:

If there is no truth then there is no knowledge."

Well, to know truth is to know everything. Personally, I see knowledge as pieces of truth, not all truth. Truth does not exist as it does require knowledge of EVERYTHING, which is not possible. Knowledge very much does exist though. And while it may not spell 100% truth, it sure is better than no knowledge at all. I'm assuming this is what you were referring to as "truth".

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

"Fools go where Angels dare not tread" (bible)

People who are naturally tuned in to spirit, have to learn to walk and crawl etc, in the dark. There is no "owners" manual. To figure out how it all works. They are faced with the hard lessons of sorting out two worlds. They sense, feel, see, hear things that no one else does.

To me the fool represents the beginning of the journey, they can only go on faith. Its a step into the unknowable, armed with not much more than faith. Ill prepared for the journey ahead. They have not learned that the other world, doesnt play by this worlds rules. But, for the fool there is no teacher.

There maybe people along the path that will say "Dont play with a Ouija" (dog barking) or its dangerous to summon spirits. (dog barking louder). Spirits, lie and you dont know who or what is really on the other side, because you are sitting in the dark. They can make you believe anything you want to hear. Parts of it true of course, or you wouldnt play very long. The barking dog are those kinds of warnings.

In the really old days, there were schools for prophets, where a gifted person could be taught some of the rules, before setting out on their journey. Today, teachers get caught up in having to make a living, and when success comes into the equations it somehow corrupts the motive.

There are many so called "teachers" in our world. But, when you see "pay me" anywhere, dont waste your time. Ask the universe to send you a teacher.

So, thats how I see the fools card. Someday, Ill write about the cliffs Ive fallen off. lol Fools go where Angels dare not tread.

Tarot is a teacher, but its still on the job training.

edit on 6-11-2015 by misskat1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Knowledge is only as powerful as the extent in which it is put to use.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Knowledge is knowledge. Power is power. The two are not equal, synonymous or alike.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Knowledge can be both a blessing and a curse....and Power is frequently abused, so the two are not synonymous with Understanding and WIsdom, which, for me personally, is far more important that power in and of itself. I have enough, and that suits me just fine. I do not seek Dominion over anyone other than myself....and that is the greatest Power one can ever hope to attain, from my personal experience.

Knowledge/Power can be blessing when fully mature and a curse when still in it's infancy.

Wisdom itself is not born by amassing information, rather, it is gained by understanding that information, and processing ii wisely into a clearly defined goal and symbiotic inheritance of what it is to be human in the various planes of understanding and awareness.

I've been hearing people scream at me to "wake up" to their level of understanding for well over twenty years now, and I have learned, that by blindly adopting another's "wake up call" you victim to becoming little more than another sheep in a different herd.

When one attains the path of true liberation from informational overload and finds their straight path, it is the most wonderful self-acknowledgement of Truth one can ever experience....(it also makes for some really wonderful coffee conversations down at the ol' Chestnut Tree).

Of course, your experiences may vary.

While I can appreciate some elements of this interpretation of the Tarot Fool...I must admit my journey has led me to a different understanding. He's not really a fool, but rather a dreamer and an optimist, a visionary of a better, happier and more enlightened society where we are free to imagine the possibilities of a return to innocence. His faithful companion, the trusty canine, is there as a reminder of unconditional love and protection. While the butterfly may serve as an ideal, and the cliff a caution, we cannot be for sure that the Fool actually plummets to his demise. That is where discretion and reminders to keep one eye on the dream, and the other firmly rooted in reality. It's a profound metaphor for the spiritual and material realms, as the Fool/Dreamer/Visionary is inspired by the Heavenly Ideals, but must remain wary of the Material Plane. Hence, through this duality we all experience in this world, the Fool reminds us that we are all subject to folly should we fail to take into account all variables of the realities of the information around us.

Profound thread....thank you very much for the opportunity to contribute.
I hope I didn't prattle on too much.

May your roads rise up to meet you, and may the wind be at your backs.
Peace.

edit on 11/7/15 by GENERAL EYES because: trademark formatting - sorry about that

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
Knowledge is knowledge. Power is power. The two are not equal, synonymous or alike.

What type of Knowledge (esoteric) or book learned? That of the ancient esoteric is hidden for a reason (it holds power because very few are acquainted with it). Your next question should be "what is this knowledge"?

edit on 7-11-2015 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: vethumanbeing

That of the ancient esoteric is hidden for a reason (it holds power).

No. The claim of hidden knowledge holds power...over the ignorant.
It's the basis of shamanistic authority. Superstition.

Knowledge is knowledge.
edit on 11/7/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   
originally posted by: Phage

That of the ancient esoteric is hidden for a reason (it holds power).

Phage: No. The claim of hidden knowledge holds power...over the ignorant.
It's the basis of shamanistic authority. Superstition.
Knowledge is knowledge.

How would the ignorant know it was hidden knowledge in first place (assuming they are not shamans).

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   

How would the ignorant know it was hidden knowledge in first place (assuming they are not shamans).

I said the claim holds power. "I know something you don't know."

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

I said the claim holds power. "I know something you don't know."

Correct answer is always: "PROVE IT".

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 05:30 PM
link   
it's a double-edged sword. on the one hand it informs. on the other it can destroy long-held beliefs.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join