It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you believe knowledge is power?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: vethumanbeing

Ok.
*waves hands*
*pulls coin from behind your ear*

tah dah.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

ha ha.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Knowledge can obviously be used to obtain power but it is not the equivalent. I know some stuff but I don't really have (nor do I particularly want) much power.

There are also some pretty ignorant people who seem to wield a good deal of power. Actually, a lot of ignorant people seem to do so.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Statements like "knowledge is power" are ironic aphorisms, by that I mean that the concept is true, but the facts are contrary to the meaning.

Knowledge is not power, if it were we could change the world today.

There are many intelligent people on this planet, there are not so many with the power to use the intelligence that we, as a race, possess.

Ask yourself a question, would so many knowledgeable people allow the world to be as it is if they had power?

I think not.

edit on 7-11-2015 by Jonjonj because: changed words

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Knowledge is many things, and many things yield power. Knowledge, more likely, is just security. Not all men are created equally, but stereo typically the most powerful of men are feeble minded and the most intelligent of men lack in physical attributes. I tend to think most people are intelligent, but that there are different attributes in intelligence, and it just depends on where we place the bulk of our effort.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Ok.
*waves hands*
*pulls coin from behind your ear*
tah dah.

What in regards to exactly?

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: onthedownlow
Intelligence is not the same thing as knowledge. One can be intelligent and ignorant (lack knowledge of something) at the same time.

edit on 11/7/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   

I agree, but you can't necessarily have one without the other can you? Well, maybe in its most basic form, but that might just be fear.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   

I agree, but you can't necessarily have one without the other can you?

That would depend on a great variety of factors. I know people who may not be considered overly intelligent but are very knowledgeable about some things.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: GENERAL EYES

All I can say is Excellent assessment...I agree very much with what you said and you said it well

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   

So knowledge is...? Understanding through personal experience, while intelligence is just memorizing information? Or is intelligence just solidified through knowledge?

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Or is intelligence just solidified through knowledge?

The converse, sort of.
Though the definition is slippery, higher levels of intelligence would imply a greater potential ability to process information and turn it into knowledge. Keyword being potential.

Though someone of lesser intelligence may have to work harder to obtain knowledge it doesn't mean that knowledge should be assumed in those of higher intelligence. Smart people can do really stupid things. "Stupid" people can be really smart.

edit on 11/7/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Star for the great explanation! I wasn't necessarily referring to more than basic intelligence, but I muddled my whole point by aquanting intelligence and knowledge

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Knowledge can obviously be used to obtain power but it is not the equivalent. I know some stuff but I don't really have (nor do I particularly want) much power.

There are also some pretty ignorant people who seem to wield a good deal of power. Actually, a lot of ignorant people seem to do so.

How do you differentiate the wielders of good deals "power" from those more ignorant that somehow wield more power (the outsmarting of) boggles the mind.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   

How do you differentiate the wielders of good deals "power" from those more ignorant that somehow wield more power (the outsmarting of) boggles the mind.

No problem. If you're smarter than they are.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Power is essentially getting other people to do things that you want them to, either for mutual benefit or to benefit yourself. Knowledge can help, but in situations where you're dealing with people's irrational emotions and beliefs (and there are a lot of situations like that), power can best be expressed through the use of controlled aggression. Not necessarily violence, but taking strong, direct action.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   

No problem. If you're smarter than they are.

How would you distinguish the difference?

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 09:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift
Power is essentially getting other people to do things that you want them to, either for mutual benefit or to benefit yourself. Knowledge can help, but in situations where you're dealing with people's irrational emotions and beliefs (and there are a lot of situations like that), power can best be expressed through the use of controlled aggression. Not necessarily violence, but taking strong, direct action.

You recognize a weakness then take the advantage.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 09:08 PM
link   

You recognize a weakness then take the advantage.

Why?

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Knowledge has something to do with the way our minds are wired.

Knowledge means trying to adapt the abstract ideas from the language of our predecessors into applied actions in our own lives.

To gain from knowledge then means three things (at least)

correctly constructing the idea with its limitations and capabilities or insights.

getting the environment or context or perspective right.

correctly applying the idea in a situation.

Using knowledge is always like doing a math word problem.

The good news is that our brains are wired that way, the same as language.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join