It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F6 Tornado

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I was watching this documentury on NOVA on tornados a couple of nights ago and it got me thinking... Around the middle of the show it said that in March of 1999 the strongest tornado ever recorded took place. With a wind speed of a little over 302 mph it was at the upper end of the F5 scale. I was thinking that most of the shows that I have seen on tornados said that a F5 was as strong as any tornado was going to get... But the 1999 tornado was almost stronger then that. So I went on the net and did a little research the F scale of tornados... and of all the sites I went to this was the first to say anything about an F6... www.tornadoproject.com... The interesting thing that got my attension was that they said it was not impossible... scary thought... remember "The Day After Tomorrow", it would compleatly rip apart a city. It kind of makes everyone helpless to the fury of nature...

I think it might be possible to stop a tornado if a nuclear bomb was droped in the center... the resulting shockwave would be strong enought to dissipate the vortex...

Anyone got any other idea how to stop a tornado? or comment on mine?

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 07:28 PM
link   
A nuclear bomb wouldn't be a good idea for a lot of reasons; radioactivity, cost, delivery mechanism, public objection, etc...

A sound device on the other hand would work wonders. Blast the sucker's formation with noise to disrupt the flow of air.

Its like moving your hand back and forth under the water when you take a bath to disrupt the spiral action of the drain.

[edit on 3-1-2005 by RedPhoenixDelta]

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 07:35 PM
link   
If you dropped a nuclear bomb into a storm that violent the radiation would spread even more so than just a normal detonation.

I don't really think there is a way you can stop a tornado. And if there were it would be quite an undertaking to find tornadoes and get on scene in time.

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 07:52 PM
link   
A nuke would do more damage than the tornado... do you have any idea the blast radius of a modern nuke????

Then there is fallout, and a host of other things..

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 08:32 PM
link   
... yeah i know more about nuclear weapons then 99.9999% of all people... im just saying that a reasonable sized nuke say... 3-10 kilotons would be enough to disrupt the airflow of the tornado on the order of a F6.
*** im not saying it would be practical but it would be a way to stop a tornado***

and p.s. there are ways of cleaning up radiation left behind by a nuclear blast... but dont expect anyone in the gov't to confirm this... i just happen to know this for a fact...

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 10:19 PM
link   
The government is not allowed, by law to create mini tactical nukes anyway.

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by beyondSciFi
but dont expect anyone in the gov't to confirm this... i just happen to know this for a fact...

Could you go in detail about this fact of yours? Most real people I know disagree on this.

Surf

[edit on 1/3/2005 by surfup]

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Regardless of how you might manage to disrupt a tornado wouldn't it simply reform anyways? The weather pattern that originally created it would still be there.
Unless there is a way to alter the weather patterns....

E_T

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by beyondSciFi
... 3-10 kilotons ...

and p.s. there are ways of cleaning up radiation left behind by a nuclear blast... but dont expect anyone in the gov't to confirm this... i just happen to know this for a fact...

10 kt yield...
Thermal radiation radius (3rd degree burns): 1.8 km
Air blast radius (widespread destruction: 1.6 km.
Air blast radius (near-total fatalities): 600 m
Ionizing radiation radius (500 rem): 1.3 km
www.stardestroyer.net...

Not good... unless you are trying to solve overpopulation.

Yep, there's way to clean radioactive fallout... which in this case would mean you would have to take away surface dirt from area of hundreds square kilometers, or more propably thousands.
Supercell itself is already like huge "vacuum cleaner", rising current sucks air from near surface level causing itself nearly storm level wind, inside cloud that air rises to over ten km altitute where some of it spreads around in "anvil" of the cloud and other part of it descends down to surface near rising current causing again very strong wind blowing away from center of cloud so radioactive fallout would be "distributed" very effectively.

Here's some "hardcore" photos from different supercells.
www.extremeinstability.com...

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by E_T

10 kt yield...
Thermal radiation radius (3rd degree burns): 1.8 km
Air blast radius (widespread destruction: 1.6 km.

The vortex of a F6 would be well over 2km in diameter (The 1999 F5 was about 1.7km) so a 10 kiloton would be just right to stop the high speed winds of the vortex...

***Remember guys im thinking for a scientist point of view... stop an F6 any way possible, think of the experiment in the middle of nowhere so any idea could be tried...***

anyone got any other ideas...?

[edit on 6-1-2005 by beyondSciFi]

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ilandrah
Regardless of how you might manage to disrupt a tornado wouldn't it simply reform anyways? The weather pattern that originally created it would still be there.
Unless there is a way to alter the weather patterns....

A nuclear blast would spread the supercell out so another tornado (at least one that large...) would not form from it. The conditions for a tornado to form have to be just right... An explosion that size would disrupt it potential to form.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Instead of stoping a tornado why not control it with a Herkermer suit. I saw Pinky and the Brain do it that way once.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 01:29 AM
link   
we always have been and always will be at the mercy of mother nature

dropping a nuclear weapon to stop a tornado may be the must ludicrous thing i've ever heard

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I don't think you understood the point of this thread... Its NOT about if its a good or bad idea ... think of it like an experiment without consequences so please read before you ridicule...

[edit on 4-2-2005 by beyondSciFi]

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 07:21 AM
link   
i have absoluteley no freaking idea how you could do this but if it was possible to drop some sort of device into the centre of a tornado that applied an equal force in the other direction that the tornado was spinning ,could it slow it down and eventually reduce the winds down to nothing? sort of like a turbine rotating in the opposite direction?

lol...sorry guys, this sounds like a comic book but im sure you get the drift?

regards!

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Instead of looking at the countless possibilities of removing the tornado, my suggestion is to look at the source in which is the thunderstorm that produced the Tornado to begin with. Now if my science is correct a Thunderstorm forms to actually correct the atmosphere. By pumping cold air down and pumping warm moist air up along the fact of being the storm being usually "positive" charged.

If we can somehow neutralize the thunderstorm before it becomes a supercell to form a tornado, like perhaps, i dunno, feeding it dry ice in the upper or lower atmosphere or finding a way to discharge the positive electrons in the storm, we'd be in a good shape and wouldn't have to worry about tornados forming over rural to city areas.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I don't exactly see how it's possible to "stop" a tornado, I'd say the best bet is to try to take cover...

And could that work? Yeah...but it's like curing cancer by killing the patient.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
YOU GUYS ARE IDIOTS!!!!! YOU CANT DROP A NUKE INTO A TORNADO!!! HOW COULD YOU EVEN GET CLOSE ENOUGH!!! IT WOULD KILL MORE PEOPLE THAN THE TORNADO!!!! JEEZ 3 TO 10 KILATONS WOULD BLOW UP A CITY!!!

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
ok lets help him out and say its over the desert and no people around, is it possible to stop the tornado with a nuke? i say its possible but it would reform imo

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 04:11 AM
link   
no need for nuke.. damage of the nuke is way worse than tornado.. the idea of the bomb or the sound blast is good.. but insted of nuke u can use heat bobm droped from high up right into the middle.. if the heat enough it can vaporize the air and change the air flow.... also u can use chemical to change the air from gas situation into liquid or solid situation.

thanx.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join