It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F6 Tornado

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Use a massive Fuel Air explosive, like the MOAB. Then again if the pressures inside a tornado are too low it may fail to detonate, until the fuel begins to blend with the air currents in the tornado, creating some type of Infernado.

Then all you would have is an F6 fireball.

Perhaps HAARP or a space based laser could heat the air at the top of the tornado column. Perhaps all the hot air would help to destabilize the tornado, or create an F6 out of an F5.

Or conversely, a C10 filled with dry ice pushed out the back into the tornado could help rapidly cool the air and help slow one down, might work on an F1 or 2, but by the time you were in position, the tornado would probably dissipate anyways.

Hmm, wasn't there some theory on how to dissipate a hurricane not long ago, buy heating the eye? Perhaps my why is wrong, but remember there being some type of an article discussing it, in theory anyways.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by beyondSciFi

the 1974 Xenia Ohio tornado outbreak was the worst in history to date with wind speeds in excess of 320 Mph. F-6 tornadoes were never studied close up until recently- but they have occurred in the past.

Just saying this phenomenon is nothing new and with new technology many of these past recorded events could be re-categorized and placed in the F-6 category- post-posthumously.

We will be seeing natures reaction increasing as the result of our arrogance and ignorance.

[edit on 1-4-2008 by dk3000]

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   
A nuke is rediculose it would do way more damage than the tornado but I agree with the first posted comment and yours.

A sonic wave would work wonders to disrupt the wind patterns, but if it were near a town a sonic wave or any matter of waves might cause a elctronic break down threw out a city so lets keep our minds open to possiblities.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 01:32 AM
link   
All I know I remember a town ravaged by an F5. It leveled everything 'including tombstones'. That part really stuck in my mind. I don't really know how practical it would be to stop one. Especially with nuclear detonation.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Perhaps though. Maybe a thermobaric percussion bomb from above could disperse it.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Why dont u just drop a phonebooth in there?

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
instead of using wmd or gasoline why dont we use a sound blast i mean think of it the sound waves move through the air if a blast of sound were to hit a tornado it would disipate because of the frequency. and im not talkin about a squeal i mean a frequency the humans can hear for example the certian frequency that human cant hear but dogs can if we could get a big enough blast the super cell will even screw up tht could stop a tornado befor it happens.. any other suggestions?

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Wow this thread is hilarious... nuke is a horrible idea...

Why not try and change the temperature somehow... is it not hot and cold weather colliding that makes the vortex... maybe something such as using waterbombers with say liquid nitrogen or somethin, I donno I think I watched the terminator too many times, im goin to sleep, lol...

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Well, this is one silly thread. Almost as good an idea as trying to tap the magma off of Yellowstone, nuking a Tornado. And to point out something to a person further up the thread, a MOAB is not a fuel air explosive.

Actually there is one good way to stop a tornado from killing you, tried and tested over the centuries: Run away. Or take shelter.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Its not possible with the way the tornadoes move and how they change size and wind speed you wouldnt have enough time to figure out where the tornado was goin to drop if you could do that you would have to have one of those bombs available every 100 miles of where a severe tornado could land anywhere from ohio to kansas and from texas to minnesota that would take more time and money then it would be worth trying to stop them

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by beyondSciFi

Well also I know that at this time and date they have nukes now to where radiation denigrates like after 3 days. But don't aspect the gove to also confirm this as well.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 01:09 AM
link   
In the context of the original topic question, an atom bomb even the size of the ones dropped over Japan would probably disrupt the airflow of a large tornado. But no one clearly knows unless they actually tested a nuke inside a supercell. What a scientific experiment THAT would be. Theoretically it sounds pretty interesting, but realistically....insane. I live in Minnesota, and I know how unpredicatable severe storms can be. The previous poster is right on the money. Tracking a twister on radar is tricky enough, let alone targeting one with a bomb at the right time would be pure luck. I wouldn't doubt a nuclear warhead would blast a tornado to oblivion, but how many actually form in the Nevada desert?...not too many. lol

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Theoretically speaking, a large enough nuke would disperse a tornado and the conditions it needs to form. The temperatures from the fireball would vaporize almost all the available moisture "read clouds" and the outward blast would cause the storm to "break apart."

This would, however, require something in the 5-10 mt (not kt) range.

The largest problem would be the detonation as the tornado would probably destroy the nuke before it actually detonated, assuming you were going for an in the funnel detonation and not the standard altitude of 1500 feet above ground level.

Getting the bomb to target would also present a challenge as strong gale winds and up/down drafts would interfere with the bombs accuracy. This, of course, assuming the bomb actually has to hit the tornado to break it apart.

Using sound is interesting, but producing enough energy through sound waves to counteract the energy of a super cell is a large order. A tornado has all the energy of a hurricane packed into one small (relatively speaking) funnel. That is a lot of energy to disperse by any standards.

As for F6 being "Inconceivable," well I beg to argue. F6 starts at 319 mph. The Moore/OKC tornado of May 3, 1999 hit 318 mph. How inconceivable is 1 more mph? Ultra rare, sure, but not inconceivable.

www.usatoday.com...

As a by note, there really is no such thing as a F6 tornado on the Fujita Scale. It stops at F5, but several "hypothetical" continuations have been made. Some go as high as F12 and even to Mach 1 (speed of sound).

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Well, I'm from Kansas..tornado capital of the world...I've been in three there. Lost a car to one and half the barn, the others just kinda stirred up the corn I had planted. I then sold out and moved to Conn. I seem to have dragged them back here with me because I wasn't in my new place for even three weeks when I had the roof torn of it by a tornado while I was inside. No tornado had been in Conn. for 25 years before this. If Mother nature wants to womp your butt with a tornado..ain't nuthin' you can do 'bout it!! just my 2 cents from experiance!!

Zindo

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
You can't have a F6 tornado. The F-scale is based on how much destruction the tornado causes, not on how powerful or big it actually is. F5 is total destruction. You can't have more destruction, than total destruction.

You can have a relatively weak tornado that is small and has a slow windspeed, but still be classified as an F5 if it touches down somewhere it can cause a lot of damage easily. On the flip side, you can have a super powerful tornado touch down in the middle of the desert and cause no damage whatsoever besides damage to plants and stuff, and be considered an F1.

As far as using a Nuke to stop a a Tornado.. not going to happen. A nuke large enough to stop a tornado will cause more damage than the tornado ever would to begin with, were talking in the 1MT+ range that spreads damage and destruction for MILES (not including fallout). And a nuke that is not big enough to stop the tornado, would just have the radiation spread further by the tornado, so instead of a tornado, you have a nuclear tornado that is hyped up on steroids.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by AgentScmidt

Yes and no.

You are right. There is no such thing as a F6 outside of the hypothetical F scale extensions, as I already pointed out in my anonymous post, however your grasp of how the scale is used to assign a number is a bit off.

The new Enhanced F scale (still goes 0 - 5) takes into account the type of structures that are damaged, and how much damage has been done to said structure.

So a really small/weak tornado drops into a field of outhouses and crushes them isn't going to be classified an F5 based on damage done to such poor structures.

Also, size is of no relevance to its power. A relatively small looking tornado can pack huge wind speeds and do massive damage, where as bigger looking tornadoes may not have the wind speed to do real severe damage.

A tornado that drops in the middle of the desert will usually not be given a number on the F scale because there is no data (read: destroyed buildings) to determine the power of the tornado.

Yes, a nuke will never be used and is a horrible idea, but it has been stated that its not the point.

[edit on 7-6-2008 by Landrar]

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Heres the tornado scale break down and how it works:

Zindo
www.tornadoproject.com...

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZindoDoone
Heres the tornado scale break down and how it works:

Zindo
www.tornadoproject.com...

That's how it used to be broke down. As of Feb 07 they use the Enhanced Fujito Scale...oh and Fujito never had a F6 so that info is certainly wrong. The true scale has never went above F5 as the newer enhanced version doesn't.

www.spc.noaa.gov...

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 04:38 AM
link   
The nuke is an interesting idea. A small tactical nuke would do far less damage than a hypothetical f6 tornado. The responses on this thread like "R U KREAZY !!!1! A NUKE IS DEEDLY11!!!1" are pretty comical.

There are still people out there uneducated to the point they believe the old "we have enough nukes to wipe out life on Earth" Cold War myth. It never ceases to shock me how where humans lack knowledge, they fill in the blanks with magic and awe and awesome infinite power.

If the Soviet Union managed to moderately control the fallout of the 50 MEGATONS (50... megatons...) Tsar Bomb, then breaking the path of an F6 with a small (say, also hypothetically a 1 kiloton) tactical nuke when it was in an isolated area (if it worked), would be completely constructive, relatively. Even if we could manage to shrink the nuke to a smaller damage radius than the F6, you additionally have to take into account that we're talking one blast vs a prolonged mobile force and you start to see the logic. Radiation is the only deal-killer, and a big one at that, but for the same of discussion, just shooting this idea down as bonkers/insane isn't fair.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by dk3000

the 1974 Xenia Ohio tornado outbreak was the worst in history to date with wind speeds in excess of 320 Mph. F-6 tornadoes were never studied close up until recently- but they have occurred in the past.

My parents just happened to stay over night there on the way to a vacation that day. The town was completely devastated. They weren't allowed to leave for two weeks. Several people died at an A&W Rootbeer stand and they were actually on their way there but decided to go to Macdonald's instead.

Pretty crazy.

Edit to add: The town has since been rebuilt. If someone would have stopped the tornado with a nuclear bomb it would still be uninhabitable.

[edit on (6/8/0808 by PistolPete]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join