It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK political correctness gone barmy!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Wow, so i reported this beggar that sits a few feet away from the pathway to our house to 101

Didnt call 999 that is for emergencies but we rang 101 and the officer knocked on our door to ask what is the problem.
When i said that the beggar is sitting near our house, putting people off walking past, we got scolded for calling him a beggar.

He told us the correct term to use is ``financially challenged``

I thought he was having a laugh with us, but he wasnt. Now ive heard it all!
Ill call a beggar a beggar, im not going to sugar coat it up just to make people feel happier!

edit on 28-10-2015 by lamplighters because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 02:33 AM
link   
a reply to: lamplighters

He might have been joking. Don't ever take a cop seriously.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 02:36 AM
link   

To get things in perspective. A friend of mine got £300 in two hours begging in Swindon. It was Christmas Eve and he was in the right place with the right look, it isn't always that lucrative. But still, 'financially challenged'? That has to be a joke.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 02:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kester

He might have been joking. Don't ever take a cop seriously.

Trust me he wasnt joking
When i said the word beggar he stopped me mid sentance and said i should watch what im saying, that beggars are human too and the correct word is financially challenged.

Whilst i agree of course beggars are human, political correctness is just ridiculous at this point

PS it was one of those community support officers, but still techincally a police officer (they have most of the powers of police officers)
edit on 28-10-2015 by lamplighters because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 02:38 AM
link   

But maybe the joke was on you and he was laughing inside.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Aw go down and let him listen to some nice relaxing techno music chances are he wnt stay about to long lol

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 02:48 AM
link   

You could try to be nice to the guy.

I agree with the policeman.

People lacking compassion stink.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Not all beggars are human. Possibly most of the top notch beggars in the UK are dogs. My friend was begging when I first met him. He showed me his bags. One for him and one for the dog food he was given. He was embarrassed that he had to frequently dump the excess dog food. As I was talking to him an elderly lady smiled at him, gave him five pounds and said, "This is for the dog". They'll get dogs just to boost takings, and share dogs. Not to say some beggars love and need their dogs for company, warmth and warning of danger while sleeping rough.
edit on 28 10 2015 by Kester because: punctuation

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 03:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kester

Not all beggars are human. Possibly most of the top notch beggars in the UK are dogs. My friend was begging when I first met him. He showed me his bags. One for him and one for the dog food he was given. He was embarrassed that he had to frequently dump the excess dog food. As I was talking to him an elderly lady smiled at him, gave him five pounds and said, "This is for the dog". They'll get dogs just to boost takings and share dogs. Not to say some beggars love and need their dogs for company, warmth and warning of danger while sleeping rough.

Hey the reason why i report this beggar is because we were told by other community support officers in the past that this particular beggar isnt homeless and has a house in town!!

When i first moved into this area, i always gave him food, and a bit of change when i could - i felt sorry for him, till i found out the truth
Then i asked for my money back!!

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 03:05 AM
link   

The truth aye? Hope you got your money back.

Did you manage to kick out that person from your house you hate too?

Sleep well.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 03:21 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

A smile at the right time can turn someones life around.

For anyone thinking of taking up the highly lucrative business of begging, many years of research has found the best opening line is, "Excuse me, I'm sorry to bother you. My friends and I are hungry . . ." One individual can feed a group in this way with little effort. If you want to support beggars look for the ugliest, smelliest with the least social graces. That's who may have difficulty getting enough donations. (You could try saying, "Kester? Is that you?)

I smiled at a beggar in Salisbury last year. He immediately said, "Do you want some food, mate?" Being financially challenged myself I gratefully accepted. It was two packs of expensive sandwiches and a tube of posh chardonnay crisps. People were giving him food instead of money presumably to prevent him spending the money on drugs.

There's a view on begging here. www.thamesreach.org.uk...

Overwhelming evidence shows that people who beg on the streets of England do so in order to buy hard drugs, particularly crack coc aine and heroin, and super-strength alcoholic beers and ciders. These highly addictive drugs cause an extreme deterioration in people’s health and even death.

This evidence comes from a number of sources. Firstly Thames Reach’s outreach teams including its London Street Rescue service who are out and about on the streets of the capital working with London’s homeless 365 days of the year. They estimate that 80 per cent of people begging do so to support a drug habit.

Secondly, when the Metropolitan Police did some drug testing of people arrested for begging, the figures indicated that between 70 and 80 per cent tested positive for Class A drugs.

Most recently, in a police crackdown in Birmingham on begging in autumn 2013, every single one of the 40 people arrested failed a drug test.

The evidence that the overwhelming majority of people begging on the streets of England spend their begging money on crack coc aine and heroin is indisputable.

Personally I'm more likely to give money to someone with a serious addiction. If they're ready to come off it they must have a measured and protected withdrawal. Until then they need a hit.

Whatever the situation, being nice to the guy is best for everyone. He may be an ex-serviceman, used and betrayed then out on the streets. Many people don't realise the reason they need to be outside so much is a need for natural light. Sometimes a person like this may become depressed if they get a room. They need to be outside.

www.ssafa.org.uk...

Mental health problems, sometimes relating to military service such as PTSD, can also increase the risk of homelessness with sufferers facing addiction and unemployment.

If an ex-serviceman or woman is addicted to heroin and living rough I'll give them money for heroin, until someone steps in with a better plan.
edit on 28 10 2015 by Kester because: punctuation

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Wow, I had to comment on the meanness you display here. You are saying more about your character than the incident.

Are you a throw back to Charles Dickens' Oliver Twist or somethin'?

I am glad the police put you in your place. I am glad you are not my neighbour when you display this sort of contempt for your fellow human being. You are one of those "not on my door step" people. Well, news for you, the world is on your door step. Get used to that.

As a fellow council tax payer I think your crime is greater; wasting valuable and costly police time just because you are offended by poverty that you help to create as a member of society.

I am having to bite my lip from wishing you hard times as this may be the only way for you to actually walk in another human being's shoes.

Get a better attitude is my prescription to you.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 03:32 AM
link   

The first thing that springs to mind is find out where his house is. Get a small group of you dressed in rags. Do a YouTube video of you all begging piteously from him when he steps out of the door. Hopefully the video will go viral then you can monetise your YouTube account and get your money back.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Wait you called the police on him?.
Should have made him a brew and had a chat with him.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 03:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

". . . actually walk in another human being's shoes." If you had in this case you'd know 80-90% of begging in this country has very little to do with poverty and a lot more to do with piss taking.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 03:43 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

That's the spirit! Make him a cuppa and glance down to see if he's wearing a rolex when he takes it.

£300 in two hours! I never earned anything like that, legally.

Sounds like she's been warned about this particular geezer before. He may not be worth talking to. It's the fakes who make it so much harder for those who may just go off and top themselves if you don't stop and be friendly.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 03:57 AM
link   

political correctness gone barmy

When are people going to understand that political correctness has nothing to do correctness, respect, tolerance or anything like that. It's about suppressing free speech by building walls around any Act, International treaty, Constituation whatever, that says anything about people having a right to speak their minds.

Political correctness IS about suppressing FREE speech, nothing esles !!!!.

When oh when are people going to see whats in front of them.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 04:04 AM
link   
First things first, it is not politically correct speech but 'politically controlled' speech. Once people start calling the problem what it really is then it will be easier to at least understand what is being said.

The legalised beggars claiming homelessness were moved on in our area when everyone stopped buying their rag and just ignored them.

People power is only achieved when we all understand what is happening and use the 'correct' lanuage.
edit on 28-10-2015 by Elliot because: grammar

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 04:08 AM
link   
a reply to: AzureblueWhat is occuring is that two levels of 'speech' are now being used by the savvy. There is the 'politically correct' speech being used to avoid trouble with authority and there is the 'normal' speech used when we are comfortable with those around us.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 04:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Elliot

I was in York the other day and a dude was dressed up as a Stormtrooper with a cap out...gave him a fiver because he was letting all the kids (and my service user) shoot him with his gun and let us all take photos...top chap.
Then back nearer home I know one homeless chap Dennis who doesn't beg but is just homeless wandering about all day and night he really does have issues but the people around town all sort him out for food and such but he will not sleep indoors.
It can be hard to find out who is really in need or just faking thats why you go over and have a chat.
Another dude I give money to plays the penny whistle sat near Boots and he is rubbish but he does try so I give him a quid or two.
In fact anyone playing a bit of music gets a quid from me.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join