It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

40% of all Americans are worried about their personal religious freedom

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

I'm an atheist but I spend time defending religious freedom and expression because if we allow religion to be stifled and censored, then who's next?
I just left a thread where many were calling for religion to just be practiced in a church or at home. Not publically.

So apparently there are those here who don't like freedom, abhor free expression and desire a fascist state.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Someone else said not to practice in the open in front of others too. Oh yeah, it was Matthew from the Bible.

Matthew 6:1-8New King James Version

“Take heed that you do not do your charitable deeds before men, to be seen by them. Otherwise you have no reward from your Father in heaven.

2 Therefore, when you do a charitable deed, do not sound a trumpet before you as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory from men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. 3 But when you do a charitable deed, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4 that your charitable deed may be in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will Himself reward you openly.

5 “And when you pray, you shall not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward.

6 But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly. 7 And when you pray, do not use vain repetitions as the heathen do. For they think that they will be heard for their many words.

8 “Therefore do not be like them. For your Father knows the things you have need of before you ask Him.

edit on 17-10-2015 by mOjOm because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

Then do it. I'm not in the habit of interpreting religious text for religious people. But people should be free to express their faith, whatever their faith without fear of punishment. As long as it doesn't infringe on the rights of anyone else.

Last time I checked, Sikhs don't follow the bible but they have to wear turbans when they are out in public. Are the religion haters going to make them go without?

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

Someone else said not to practice in the open in front of others too. Oh yeah, it was Matthew from the Bible.

Matthew 6:1-8New King James Version

“Take heed that you do not do your charitable deeds before men, to be seen by them. Otherwise you have no reward from your Father in heaven.

2 Therefore, when you do a charitable deed, do not sound a trumpet before you as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory from men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. 3 But when you do a charitable deed, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4 that your charitable deed may be in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will Himself reward you openly.

5 “And when you pray, you shall not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward.

6 But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly. 7 And when you pray, do not use vain repetitions as the heathen do. For they think that they will be heard for their many words.

8 “Therefore do not be like them. For your Father knows the things you have need of before you ask Him.

Don't start this crap again. We have had this discussion before, you were wrong.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 10:48 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

who says?
the bible is vague and open to interpretation
even religious scholars (and i use the term loosely) disagree on how it should be interpreted
you could interpret it anyway you please
and chances are theres already a sect that agrees with that interpretation

you cant prove hes wrong any more than he can prove god doesnt exist

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 10:54 PM
link   

It's not about punishing anyone. It's just not polite to go around pushing your beliefs into others faces that's all. If someone is interested in a religion they know where to go to find out more about it. You don't have to go around making a show of it. Besides, nobody gives a damn what you believe anyway. We all believe different things and unless someone asks me to tell them what I believe I don't usually tell them. I certainly don't get all preachy about it and yell it out on the corner or institute it into some other official setting.

Nobody is saying they don't have the right to yell about whatever they want at every random person walking by. But it can be annoying and rude depending on how it's done that's all. Some of them get a bit pushy about it too. If every religion went out and preached on every street corner about their beliefs all the time it would be pretty annoying just walking around town don't ya think???

They are peoples "Personal Private Beliefs" so why broadcast them???

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 10:56 PM
link   

I am sure FOX news has led some into a complete hysteria over this issue.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 10:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

Don't start this crap again. We have had this discussion before, you were wrong.

We have??? I don't ever remember having a discussion about it with you. Nor do I see how I could be wrong when I simply quoted Matthew from the Bible saying exactly that. What's to interpret???

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 11:03 PM
link   

because its a pyramid scheme of hate ignorance and fear
and they need to convince other people not only that this behavior is normal but that its necessary for success
and make more people and convince them of this (christmas and easter are great for this.....treats=good)
they find them at their weakest and most vulnerable and try to turn them
the more people they get the more right they are (er....loud anyway)

edit on 17-10-2015 by fartlordsupreme because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 11:09 PM
link   
As has been mentioned, this is obviously skewed in favor of Christianity, but you still have a good point, Grandma. I'm concerned for the religious freedom of Wiccans, Muslims, and Satanists(among others) in the U.S. I don't see anyone making threads about the discrimination against these faiths. I'm reasonably sure if you ask them, they're concerned about their religious freedom, since historically, they've been persecuted in the U.S. by the same people crying about persecution against Christians. I'm not so sure it's religious freedom you're concerned about. I think it's Christian "freedom"(privilege) you're concerned about.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 11:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Exactly. The only Freedom they are losing is the Freedom to treat others like crap with impunity based upon what they believe.

I can understand how that might be upsetting too. I really do. Treating others like trash because they are Gay, or Sexually Open, or just because they are different in ways you don't agree with must be quite liberating when you can do it openly and nobody calls you on it. It sucks having to tolerate other peoples differences and learn to live together and compromise with others so we can all get along. It's not easy to do. So I can sort of understand why they find it difficult to lose their superior status of being able to sit on high and judge others and condemn them to hell and all.

Not being treated special all the time and being viewed as equals must be a bummer after being treated special all the time. But oh well, you'll get used to it like the rest of us have. Welcome to equality.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I always understood religion to be a personal relationship between the creator (GOD) and the individual. If this is the case, why and how is it possible to be persecuted? Keep within the boundaries of your religion and you never need to worry about persecution.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Nevermind. stupid question.

Haters are always going to hate.
edit on 17-10-2015 by DBCowboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 11:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Nevermind. stupid question.

Haters are always going to hate.

The only thing stupid about your question is that you already assume to know the answer. So it's not a question at that point is it?? It's a statement about you judging me. Typical.

I don't hate anyone for their Religion or Religion for that matter. I don't want it pushing in my face or be made to comply with it's traditions if I don't want to either. If I'm in a church or temple I'll follow along with the traditions there. If I don't want to follow them, I'll leave. If I'm in your house and you pray before eating dinner, I'll pray with you as it's your house. But in my house if you pray before dinner, you'll be praying alone.

That's how I see it. You have a church to pray in and worship God in. So do it there. Same goes for all other Religions too. I don't play favorites or anything. They all have their places of worship, so go worship there. Is it that hard to understand???

It's like sports teams. If I go to a Yankee's Bar I don't go in talking non stop about the Cubs. In a society we all have to share I don't give a damn about what someone's beliefs are and I would like it if they keep it to themselves if possible.

Why should I be expected to embrace your Christian Ways???? I don't expect you to embrace Muslim Ways??? If some Muslims wanted you to pray to Mecca are you going to do it??? Or some Wiccans want you to sing to mother earth are you going to comply with them??? Didn't think so. So don't expect anyone to comply with you wanting pray about anything either.

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 12:03 AM
link   

I'm not Christian. Atheist, sorry to bust your little bubble. I like to think I defend everybodies freedoms not just those who agree with me.

But I will ask do you feel the same towards followers of Islam as you do Christians? How about Jews?

Do you just have animosity towards Christians or all religions?

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 12:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I'm not Christian. Atheist, sorry to bust your little bubble. I like to think I defend everybodies freedoms not just those who agree with me.

But I will ask do you feel the same towards followers of Islam as you do Christians? How about Jews?

Do you just have animosity towards Christians or all religions?

Whatever, I don't care what your atheist beliefs are either. I'm also not attacking anyone's freedoms. If you're Religious, fine with me, go worship all you want. Just don't expect me to follow along with you. That's all.

I've asked already for someone to show what actual Freedoms they are losing and it's been nothing but crickets so far. So that tells me that they aren't really losing anything. Let's check to make sure. Are there still churches and places to worship as you please??? Yep, still there. Can you still worship on your own time and at your own homes??? Yep, still there also. So there ya go. No need to defend anyone as nobody is being attacked. Not by me anyway.

I don't feel certain way toward people for their Religion just because they are Religious. But when they act certain ways toward me because of their Religion I may not like the way they act. But just because someone is Christian means nothing to me. In fact, I wouldn't even know if they were unless they bring it up.

Any animosity you are sensing has nothing to do with anyone's Religion in and of itself. I actually find Religion in general interesting sometimes and am familiar with a variety of them actually. That doesn't mean I think we need to Pray to Jesus all the time anymore than I think we need to worship mother earth, give prayer to Mecca, Hail Satan or meditate to buddha either. If you want to do any of those things, fine with me, but do them with other members or on your own time and place. Why drag others who aren't "with you" into it??? If they want to join you they know where to find you.

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Not really to your point but I'm actually in the middle of putting my personal beliefs down on paper, I wont call it a religion or cult but my beliefs. Here is a sample with a description of the cover and first page -

The first page will be almost completely blank but for a single sentence, well more of a mathematics problem it will say -

"Nothing plus Nothing equals everything"

This is supposed to show that the universe has to have some sort of hand in it's creation. Whether you are a believer in the multiverse or a single universe that constantly recycles itself, at some point the Universe must have had a "year one" and it came from nothing (According to current science) so the equation is supposed to show that simple maths (which is the universal constant) that it is impossible to get something from double nothing.

Then the next page is the opening, here it is -

In the beginning there was the void. A corporeal darkness, as thick as the thickest mud that fills what would become the universe. And within this expanse of tangible nothingness there existed a single mind, and for eons this conscience sits alone in eternal silence and after time uncountable it decided to end it's own existence and with it's final moment it created the sparks of matter that fought against the void slowly creating all matter in the universe.

(The idea is that this original intelligence, isn't a god in that sense but as the original thing that our intelligence came from. It is the inner voice, the mind, the conscience that scientist cant explain. It is the first and the reason that we have that inner voice).

I'm also working out a cycle of universes, where we have more than one sentient life in the universe (which is smaller than current science tells us) and it has less doom and damned style stuff it isn't finished and is taking me a while but I'll be putting in online soon enough for free. I plan to write a piece on here and thought I'd share and get a little feedback on the above things. These are personal beliefs, they're not an attempt to belittle or attack other religions just putting my personal views on paper well computer screen.

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

originally posted by: grandmakdw
www.barna.org...

"Concern about religious freedom in the U.S. has grown among every segment since the 2012 study. The growth from one-third of the general population (33%) expressing concern over religious freedom in 2012 to the more than four in 10 adults today (41%) is mirrored among the generations as well. Among Millennials, there’s been a nine percentage point increase in those who say that religious freedom is worse today than it was 10 years ago (25% to 34%); the increase is even more marked among Gen-Xers (29% to 42%) and Boomers (38% to 46%)."

Many times people have called me names
and ridiculed me for expressing concerns
over religious freedom in the US.

However, it seems I am not actually a
minority it seems anymore. When close
to half of all Americans worry about
religious freedom. Is there a real problem
developing in the US?

Rather than reply with nasty comments
about Christians with a persecution complex,
that show a lack of intellect and
common decency please stick to the
topic using civil language.
Before you reply with a rant about how
you hate all religion, remember that is off topic.

Please stick to the topic at hand.

If close to 50% of ALL Americans feel that religious
freedom is in jeopardy in the US, what is making
them feel that way?

90 percent of people know statistics are manipulated for an argument.

There is no.way 40 percent of Americans are worried about religious freedom. Where? How many polled? Were 100 percent of the public polled?

So 40 percent of people polled in this survey are worried about religious freedom. Not any where near 40 percent of Americans.

The Barna Group. If you had followed the link to their website you would have seen it was the Barna Group.
An extremely well respected research corporation.

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
As has been mentioned, this is obviously skewed in favor of Christianity, but you still have a good point, Grandma. I'm concerned for the religious freedom of Wiccans, Muslims, and Satanists(among others) in the U.S. I don't see anyone making threads about the discrimination against these faiths. I'm reasonably sure if you ask them, they're concerned about their religious freedom, since historically, they've been persecuted in the U.S. by the same people crying about persecution against Christians. I'm not so sure it's religious freedom you're concerned about. I think it's Christian "freedom"(privilege) you're concerned about.

I agree with you completely.

It is not just Christians who worry about religious freedom.

All religions are losing freedom in the US.

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: muse7
What is making them feel that way?

Fox News
Breitbart
World Net Daily

and the other numerous right wing infotainment websites and TV channels that make money and ratings by scaring people.

40% of ALL US Citizens do not watch Fox or read Breitbart or WND.

That is an old tired cliche line you threw out. Try and think beyond the old tired cliche's and come up with a reasoned and intelligent response that appears you actually gave the matter real thought.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join